Punaweb Forum
2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." (/showthread.php?tid=23076)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - TomK - 07-20-2023

(07-19-2023, 05:17 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: This is the result of deep tropical flow interacting with terrain..

Years ago I had a friend who was a meteorologist with the Dutch Navy.  Sitting on the beach one day he pointed at clouds heading toward shore and explained how the island (land) begins to affect the weather, the formation of clouds, several miles away from land.  The air begins to rise even before the elevation of the land increases.  This cools, condenses moisture in the air.

The key word is affect.
Not protect.

Precisely, it was also in the paper I posted a link to yesterday. The island's mountains affect any any storm over the island, they don't magically divert them which has always been MyManao's claim, and there's no evidence he can provide to back up his claim. The fact is, in this case, the center of Tropical Storm Calvin passed south of the island and remained a tropical storm until it was roughly south of Oahu.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - TomK - 07-20-2023

(07-19-2023, 04:49 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(07-19-2023, 08:24 AM)kalianna Wrote: So to what do you attribute the calm along our coast?  Max wind here (mid-HPP) has been 26 mph.

He can't answer that 'cause he aint got enough data? Yeah right, it's 'cause he's been bamboozling anyone that's willing to buy the snake oil he pedals.. and he don't have that kine snakes. And he keeps telling you all the frickin' islands don't mean a thing to a hurricane.. a 14,000 foot wall don't mean a thing.. a wall? Wind shear.. yeah, sure, he can grok that 'cause that's a term the real scientists throw around. But a solid, immovable, relatively impermeable, land mass? Nah... according to our in-house "scientist" that kine stuff don't matter..

How about just showing one occasion where I've ever claimed any of the above? Making things up is not evidence.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - 'elepaio - 07-20-2023

Dear TomK, vaunted ' scientist ',, its high time you yourself provide money where your mouth is, counter data ( ++++ your own opinion, interpretation and factual of said data / proof of your point ) instead of just rage posting and calling people names .. Grow a pair bra ..

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - MyManao - 07-20-2023

(07-20-2023, 05:47 AM)TomK Wrote: MyManao's claim..

Actually, Tom, my only observation has been you're too emotionally dysfunctional to be capable of impartial observation. And, as such, any claim you make to being a scientist is just gibberish. Otherwise.. whatever man. You can twist words anyway you like.. 

And still, our Maunas disrupt hurricanes, weather systems of any kine, and whether or not you're able to grok it makes no never mind.. Calvin's path as it approached the islands was wholly disrupted, besides all the moisture in its northern hemisphere being busted up, the eye wobbled all over the place and only stabilized again after it left our sphere of influence. But hey.. what would be the point in discussing it with you?

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - Durian Fiend - 07-20-2023

Grudge matches: My suggestion would be to copy down the offending passages as the occur in order to produce them later as needed. Otherwise it's difficult to convince others of their legitimacy, unless they have the memory of an elephant. My memory is admittedly poor. I have no idea what the argument above is about.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - kalianna - 07-20-2023

The argument seems semantic in nature. "Protecting" vs "Affecting". Whatever it takes to keep us out of harmʻs way, eh?

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-21-2023

And still, our Maunas disrupt hurricanes, weather systems of any kine,.. Calvin's path as it approached the islands was wholly disrupted, ... the eye wobbled all over the place and only stabilized again after it left our sphere of influence. 

Back on page 3 of this thread a new member asked:

I was wondering... What should people with homes on 200 foot cliffs do during a hurricane.

Do you think telling him that Big Island is protected by Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea because the mountains tear hurricanes apart is the correct reply? Don't Worry, Be Happy? What if some people reading Punaweb then do nothing to prepare for a hurricane because the advice given them by one or two members was the mauna will protect them?

Semantics can be important when you believe the wind can never blow higher than 74 mph, especially if it starts coming at you at a far higher speed from the north, then south, east, and finally west during the hours a storm passes over.  

Which has occurred. Here's an account of a major hurricane that damaged Big Island in 1871:
https://hawaii.edu/epscor/uh-news-hawaiian-language-newspapers-illuminate-1871-hurricane/

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - MyManao - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 12:42 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Do you think telling him that Big Island is protected by Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea because the mountains tear hurricanes apart is the correct reply?

Besides TomK, who said that?

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-21-2023

Besides TomK, who said that?

(when I wrote my reply above, there were 39 guests reading Punaweb.  People who read our posts but who don't comment.  We have no way of knowing how they might respond, what actions they may take or may not take after they read advice offered in comments here.  Is it possible that a person living on a 200 foot cliff above the ocean might do nothing to prepare for an incoming hurricane after reading that the mauna unfailingly protects us?)
Here is the post.  From page 3:

[b]AinaAKai[/b] [Image: buddy_offline.png] 
[img]images/star.png[/img][img]images/star.png[/img]

Threads: 4

06-27-2023, 05:21 AM 

These are really far from Hawaii. I was wondering... What should people with homes on 200 foot cliffs do during a hurricane. No storm surge or flooding, but the wind makes me nervous.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - terracore - 07-21-2023

(07-21-2023, 01:56 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: Besides TomK, who said that?

(when I wrote my reply above, there were 39 guests reading Punaweb.  

38-39 of them were bots.