Punaweb Forum
Woman's body found off Kalapana - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Woman's body found off Kalapana (/showthread.php?tid=11992)

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - hikatz - 01-28-2014

ssshjar,
When Ruth stayed with Bo, did he keep a journal that he wrote in?

Kalapana Ed stated when he spoke to Bo that morning, Bo told him "me and Brittany are on our way to Hilo"
Would Bo have said it that way, or would he have said "Brittany and I are on our way to Hilo"?
Did Bo like to drink, I seem to remember reading that Bo and Brittany occasionally would drink wine.

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - oceangirl - 01-28-2014

@ Sarah, did you ever get a response from the couple or their families?

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - nana valley - 01-28-2014

"bump"
This is far from over! The couple from Idaho need to be interviewed.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - kapohololo - 01-28-2014

ohhhhhhh bra I think this jus got 100x more complicated....

as a local I was split all this time...now i think someone really killed da boy...

we need a person that is good at making maps....for ppl have reference for everything...forget what u call ppl good at making maps.

anybody volunteer 4 this or maybe try?

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - phbratton - 01-28-2014

The story of the young Idaho couple that was the target of a ransom scam being in close proximity to Bo & Brittany last Memorial Day weekend seems to stretch coincidence to the breaking point. Thus we have one couple whose family is told has been kidnapped and must be ransomed and another young couple on the eve of making their first land purchase. A criminal, or criminals, is willing to risk major charges for the kidnapping/extortion. Would that same criminal(s) hesitate to go to the Bo/Brittany campsite in hopes of finding $10K or so in land purchase funds?

While it is possible that Brittany died in a tragic altercation with Bo that spun out of control, this scenario seems to be out of character based on any information about the parties that has been made public. By all accounts the land purchase was a done deal except for the closing. One would expect the young couple to be thrilled about their new life homesteading on the lava flows. The fact that such a life would face many obstacles only adds to its appeal.

Whatever happened it is a tragedy for the couple and their families. And that tragedy is compounded if indeed Bo is being railroaded by a police investigation that is too willing to accept the easy answers.

@ gypsy did you know Bo and Brittany personally? Do you know if the Idaho hunters were questioned by police?

@ gypsy did you know Bo and Brittany personally? Do you know if the Idaho hunters were questioned by police?

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - Guest - 01-28-2014

oceangirl, both answers to your questions are no I did not know Bo or Britt, And I don't know if the police questioned the hunters. I would hope the hunters were questioned. The detective I spoke with told me the Idaho young couple lost(camped) in Wiapio was not the same couple from Kalapana, I had claimed to meet. The detective work really impressed me because he not only followed up on the information I gave him, but did it in less than a week. This couple must have been easy to relocate then?.

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - phbratton - 01-28-2014

It has been previously pointed out that those committing domestic violence against a partner almost always exhibit a pattern of such behavior. Or at the very least there is some history of violence. As an Alaska attorney I make regular use of the Alaska court system's court records. I just searched "Boaz D. Johnson" and found two criminal cases in Petersburg, Alaska. In 2009, Boaz paid a $15 fine for failure to wear a seatbelt when he was 17 yo. In 2010 Boaz paid a $120 fine for speeding when he was 18 yo. There are no other criminal or civil matters for any Boaz Johnson in the Alaska court records.

RE: Woman's body found off Kalapana - missydog1 - 01-28-2014

Really great to hear Sarah tell of her familyÔs experience (and her own). It is sad to me they were not treated as a bereaved family. Even though HPD is all about BoÔs guilt, that is no reason not to show the family respect.

Wonder if they worried about the statement your parents might make about doubting the conclusions if they were given a chance to be part of the PC?

I apologize for saying the missing couple was not connected. I had no idea they were ever in Kalapana! That is shocking. I followed the story when it came out, but I had forgotten (because the story died in the media quickly) that HPD told the California mother (Christine Cealey) that the body in the ocean could be of her daughter.

In the article I had read, it stated that it was an error to say Linder was from Idaho, at that time, but I guess she has moved there?
This article has slightly different info from the other links:
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130530/APN/1305300836

If Linder (the girl) indeed met Brittany, that must have blown her mind to hear. I wonder if the kids decided to lie about going to Kalapana so as not to get chewed out by parents for camping in an area where a murder happened. There is absolutely nothing I saw in any press saying they went south from Kona.

It does seem likely they were in WaipiÔo being as they were located in HonokaÔa. They came up on the Wednesday I think, with Brittany found on Monday. She was IDÔs publicly at 2 PM that day and I think an HPD press release went out, but whether this couple heard who knows. Still, you know the girl must have heard an earful from her mom about how she was all ready to fly to HawaiÔi because she had been told it could be her daughter.

One has to wonder about the orange tent, although I donÔt see why a couple who was continuing on to camp at WaipiÔo would leave their tent behind. I think they were probably backpacking to Waimanu, not in WaipiÔo, because Linder says their cell phones exploded after they came "down" the mountain, which would make sense if they came down Muliwai Trail.

Also the article mentions they plan to take a bus from HonokaÔa to Kona, so they must not have had a rental car, must have hitched or hiked to Waimanu. Is that orange and gray Ozark tent a backpackerÔs type tent? I donÔt know.

HereÔs the HPD comment from the article on closing that case:
quote:
"Police were closing the missing persons case and don't plan to investigate the phone call, said Capt. Richard Miyamoto.

"We located them. We found out that they were fine," he said. "They were in no trouble. There's nothing further at this point."

There's no suspicion of any wrongdoing, Miyamoto said.

Hard to know what to make of this, except the couple could have denied to police they were in Kalapana? I wonder if they had pulled a permit for Waimanu, where one is required, and what days it was for. (Though they seem like the kind to just go where they want, people do get ticketed for camping Waimanu without one.)

Thank you gypsy, quite a tale.