Punaweb Forum
Covid count - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Covid count (/showthread.php?tid=22358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Covid count - randomq - 07-31-2021

I guess we ask too much of some people. Taking a miniscule risk in order to save the lives of others? Wearing a mask in the middle of a global pandemic? What an oppressive society we have become! /s

RE: Covid count - Carey - 07-31-2021

As of Friday, an island ER doctor is stating that ALL of the ICU beds in ALL of the hospitals on island are full... & medical transfer in Oahu cannot accept more....
Over the past 2 days, even without the anomaly counts yesterday, our COVID counts in state are the highest they have been.....
Plus Queens is running low on nurse staff!
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/as-covid-cases-rise-queens-medical-center-asks-fema-for-more-nurses/

I have no words for how it feels to have done work to alleviate the effects of this disease, only to see the childish "I dun wanna" be the reason why we are here now, with the highest counts of this disease, at a time when we have seen what vaccination, masking and social distancing CAN do to lower the counts....
It has been interesting to learn things like WHY we have the word quarantine & the fact that the ʻquaranta giorniʻ or ʻquarantenaʻ in Venice probably was broken by merchants not wanting to wait for prescribed time for merchandise.... so profits drove the plaque in!

RE: Covid count - AaronM - 07-31-2021

New CDC data -

https://www.axios.com/chart-vaccinated-americans-delta-covid-cases-b93710e3-cfc1-4248-9c33-474b00947a90.html

Outcomes of COVID-19 vaccinated Americans.

Of the 164 million vaccinated Americans, less than 0.1% have been infected with the coronavirus, and 0.001% have died, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Of 164m fully vaccinated in the U.S. as of July 31, 2021

Not infected
99.923%
Breakthrough cases
Hospitalized
Died

-------------------------------------------------------------

Regardless of the daily case counts, the vaccinated should rest assured according to the latest CDC data.

RE: Covid count - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-31-2021

no words for how it feels to have done work to alleviate the effects of this disease, only to see...

Thank you Carey for the contributions you’ve made toward the vaccination effort on Big Island, and for the wealth of COVID information you’ve shared with us on Punaweb.  We should remember that because of your work the hospitals are only at capacity and (not yet) over capacity.  It’s hard to imagine where we’d be without our doctors & nurses on the front lines, scientists, pharmaceutical companies and volunteers.  In my opinion they’ve all made a huge difference, kept us a few steps back from the brink of total disaster and provided us with a glimmer of hope throughout the last 18 months.

RE: Covid count - macuu222 - 07-31-2021

"As of Friday, an island ER doctor is stating that ALL of the ICU beds in ALL of the hospitals on island are full."

Are all the ICU beds full of covid cases or just full?

RE: Covid count - sistersue - 07-31-2021

(07-31-2021, 06:17 PM)randomq Wrote: I guess we ask too much of some people. Taking a miniscule risk in order to save the lives of others? Wearing a mask in the middle of a global pandemic? What an oppressive society we have become! /s
Ha ha ha ha ha.  I totally agree.  Some people act like little kids.  "I don't want to wear a mask, Mommy!"

(07-31-2021, 01:03 AM)MyManao Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 12:41 AM)AaronM Wrote: Bingo!  The Dear Leader is suggesting that we begin another quarantine period and it is possible that the lemmings under his spell will acquiese to his madness.

The only Dear Leader I know of is the orange buffoon. Who, thankfully, has no say in what we do anymore.

If we do, if the Biden administration does, take definitive action on a national level to impose restrictions on the population at large...

I am so ready for that kind of leadership. And keenly aware that without it this drama will go on forever.
I don't know why the "lemmings" don't want to have shots.  Don't they know that even the Orangeman was vaccinated?

RE: Covid count - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-31-2021

Are all the ICU beds full of covid cases or just full?

macuu222 -
I have a partial answer to your question.  All beds at Hilo Medical Center are nearly full, there are 11 ICU beds.

COVID hospitalizations spiked from six to 12, HMC officials confirmed Saturday, July 31. All individuals were unvaccinated. HMC is nearing full capacity with limited beds available. Health workers are seeing a large spike of patients needing testing, examination and treatment for COVID.
https://bigislandnow.com/2021/07/31/overnight-spike-in-covid-cases-prompts-no-visitor-policy-to-hmc-emergency-department/

What we do know for certain is that without the COVID cases, HMC would not be near or at capacity.
What we also know is that all of the COVID cases admitted to the hospital were unvaccinated.  Those patients had many opportunities to get the vaccine all  across Big Island.  If the COVID patients now in the hospital had been vaccinated, we wouldn't be talking about hospitals at full capacity, or parsing the statistics of who has what illness in which department.  COVID cases are the straws that may break the camel's back.

RE: Covid count - kalianna - 07-31-2021

I have been watching to see if the vax rate has increased as the cases numbers skyrocket but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. There has been only a small increase in those choosing to get vaccinated at this late date. As much as I don't like mandates, it may be the only way to stop this virus before it mutates into something even worse.

RE: Covid count - kalakoa - 07-31-2021

so profits drove the plaque in!

Some things never change.

RE: Covid count - AaronM - 07-31-2021

And now this thread will be locked. #keepitlocalfolks