Punaweb Forum
2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." (/showthread.php?tid=23076)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - AaronM - 07-27-2023

Since you like fact checking so much - we typically credit the Arabic people for Algebra.  Not all Arabs adhere to the Muslim religion.  

Although that is a common misconception as  advanced mathematics developed from Greece to India and most definitively, the Rhind Papyrus documented algebra roughly two centuries before Mohammed was born. 

Also, we no longer live in a democracy, as America is clearly a plutocracy.  

Finally, I never claimed to want any "undesirables eliminated" but putting words in other people's mouths appears to be how you like to argue.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - TomK - 07-27-2023

(07-27-2023, 01:34 AM)MyManao Wrote: protects us?

I'm still curious, who, besides TomK, and Edge regurgitating his words, has suggested our Mauna's provide a blanket protection to anything?

I can't recall any time HOTPE or I suggested the mountains provide blanket protection, in fact, I know I have argued the complete opposite, but MyManao wrote in this very thread:

(07-17-2023, 05:27 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge: Wrote: I’m not a proponent of Maunas vs Hurricane, with the Maunas always victorious..

"And still, the Maunas win every time.

Sure, Puna, with its relatively low profile terrain, as we saw with Iselle, stands in stark contrast to the areas of the island that are on the flanks of Kea and Loa, where a hurricane can not cross without having its system torn apart. Literally a storm crossing a 14,000 foot high edifice can not help but be destroyed. How could it be otherwise when the bottom 14,000 feet of the system is no longer there?

But, from a purely technical point, there is historic evidence of a hurricane traveling up the Hamakua coast and through the Waimea saddle. But a head on path that would lead a cyclonic system through one of our larger volcanoes can not help but destroy it before it passes.

What I think more likely happens is as a storm approached, and because of the presence of our Maunas, the leading airmass is compressed and in turn causes the storm to veer one side of us or the other. Again, as it did with Iselle where it jogged a little to the south, and lost some of its strength, before making landfall."

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - ironyak - 07-27-2023

(07-27-2023, 01:46 AM)AaronM Wrote: Since you like fact checking so much - we typically credit the Arabic people for Algebra.  Not all Arabs adhere to the Muslim religion.  Although that is a common misconception as  advanced mathematics developed from Greece to India and most definitively, the Rhind Papyrus documented algebra roughly two centuries before Mohammed was born. 

Not to get totally off track, but yeah, there appears to be a limited Egyptian algebra noted on a couple papyri sources, and before that even more limited Babylonian algebra, and contributions from China, India, and Greece, but Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizm is commonly noted as the "Father of Algebra" due to his providing the first known systematic solution of various algebraic equations, and he was a devout Muslim from the preface to his work The Compendious Book on Calculation by Completion and Balancing.

That original algebra link I provided had this history covered, so I'm not sure what you're trying to show here other than you didn't (fully) read that source, but did your own research to provide some paltry "well actually" retort? Regardless, good job on making sure the facts have been checked to be correct!

Quote:Also, we no longer live in a democracy, as America is clearly a plutocracy.
Um ok... but do you reject the benefits of democracy because you don't belong to the originating cultures, like you do with the notion of Aloha? Because that was the point - learning and adaptation, right?

Quote:Finally, I never claimed to want any "undesirables eliminated" but putting words in other people's mouths appears to be how you like to argue.

Here's what you said:
(07-24-2023, 04:04 AM)AaronM Wrote: How about we just let nature take it's course and leave all future Darwin Award winners to their own devices?

Unless of course, you want people who need to be told not to drink bleach contributing to the gene pool.

People operating under misconceptions should be left to die so they don't contribute to the gene pool - appears to be a path for eliminating those you deem undesirable to me, but please do explain more.

Anywho, hi back to you HOTPE! (who lives in Hawaii therefore this is on topic, right?) Punaweb for the lolz...

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - MyManao - 07-28-2023

(07-27-2023, 05:35 AM)TomK Wrote: Blah blah blah...

So, Tom flopped.. seems his reading comprehension is as bad as his science.. 

Do you want to try Edge?

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-28-2023

Do you want to try Edge?

"You talkin' to me?"  
(Robert De Niro as Travis Bickle)

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - terracore - 07-28-2023

(07-27-2023, 01:46 AM)AaronM Wrote: Also, we no longer live in a democracy, as America is clearly a plutocracy.  

The United States has never been a democracy, and sadly I agree with your plutocracy assessment.  Our founding fathers feared democracy, instead opting for a system of inalienable rights with checks and balances between the 3 branches of government.  The most accurate description I can think of is that we're (supposed to be) a federal republic with a representative government.  The original idea was that we would use a democratic process* to elect people smarter and better educated than ourselves to make decisions for us.  That sounds pretty elitist, but the elites at the time envisioned an elected official being an unpaid job to be suffered through like jury duty, doing such a job out of a sense of service to the greater good.  George Washington didn't want to be president, and suffered through it:

"Washington was a wealthy man before he became president. He owned a large plantation in Mount Vernon, Virginia, and he had a number of investments. However, the presidency was a very expensive position. Washington had to pay for his own travel, food, and lodging...

In addition, Washington's presidency came at a time when the United States was in debt. The government had borrowed heavily to fight the Revolutionary War, and it was struggling to pay its debts. Washington was asked to help the government by accepting a salary of $25,000 per year. This was a very large sum of money at the time, but it was not enough to cover Washington's expenses.

As a result of these financial difficulties, Washington was forced to sell some of his land and investments. He also had to borrow money from his friends and family. By the time he left office in 1797, Washington was $100,000 in debt.

Washington's financial problems continued after he left office. He died in 1799, and his estate was worth less than $500,000. This was a relatively small sum of money for a man of Washington's stature." (AI alert: Bard)

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." - Benjamin Franklin

* The original democratic process only allowed property owners to vote. 

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - TomK - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 12:26 AM)MyManao Wrote:

Do you want to try Edge?

Taking out all the superfluous stuff from MyManao's question "I'm still curious, who, besides TomK, and Edge regurgitating his words, has suggested our Mauna's [sic] provide a blanket protection to anything?", you end up with:

Who has suggested our Maunas provide a blanket protection to anything?

I haven't.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - TomK - 07-28-2023

(07-28-2023, 12:26 AM)MyManao Wrote:

Do you want to try Edge?

Is that a game or something?

Oh, my mistake, you want me to try MS Edge. No thanks.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - AaronM - 07-29-2023

I know what I said Yak, and now that you have quoted me, do you know what I said?  

It certainly doesn't match the words that you put in my mouth.

RE: 2023 Pacific Hurricane forecast: "heightened risks for Mexico and Hawaii." - TomK - 07-31-2023

In the meantime, there are two disturbances to keep an eye on. The first is in the Eastern Pacific which looks likely to become a cyclone soon, but is not that far off the Mexican Coast and is already at a latitude of 15 degrees north, so it's hard to imagine it will be a threat to Hawaii. The second is much closer to Hawaii, about 1100 miles SW off the southern tip of Baja, CA, but is not predicted to become a cyclone in the next several days.