Punaweb Forum
Discoveries using the telescopes on Mauna Kea - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Discoveries using the telescopes on Mauna Kea (/showthread.php?tid=17412)

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - TomK - 09-03-2016

"Is it so that the observatories would have to (hopefully only temporarily) stop work if/when MK started rumbling?"

Minor earthquakes aren't generally a problem, but our own rule of thumb is that if there's a mag 4 or greater earthquake the telescope needs checking. A large enough earthquake can move things enough that we wouldn't know where we are pointing anymore (same for the other telescopes). How that gets fixed is different for all the observatories.

You might find this interesting - a visiting observer describing a time when an earthquake shifted UKIRT:

https://youtu.be/yn5pHqENfJA

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - Guest - 09-03-2016

so ZERO "discoveries" to blog about tonight.

JMO, I think its good to look towards space based sooner than later. They won't be restricted by random terrestrial and earthbound effects.

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 09-03-2016

JMO... space based sooner or later. They won't be affected by random terrestrial and earthbound effects

Video of Facebook satellite affected by random terrestrial and earthbound effects a few days ago. Perhaps they can shovel up the scattered, charred components within hiking distance of the launchpad, and recalibrate them?
http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-first-video-showing-spacexs-rocket-exploding-1786055894

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)

I notice you did rewrite my post and put it up as italicized,, albeit inaccurately,, was that on purpose ?

Not sure if your intent was to be funny, sarcastic or ignorant. All three seem the same.

To me, it seems like you are criticizing the advancement of technology via the most luddite and ignorant of level. Only and just for kicks here on Punaweb.
I really don't think this is YOU HereOnThePrimalEdge.

Time will tell and I hope you remember to re-read you words down the road.

I'm struggling with a bit of research so hoping someone can help me out. Does anyone recall the last time a ground-based astronomical observatory exploded on Mauna Kea? Or at any other ground-based location for that matter. I'm currently reviewing our safety manual and would like to add a section on this. Thanks.

To me, it seems like you are criticizing the advancement of technology via the most luddite and ignorant of level. Only and just for kicks here on Punaweb.
I really don't think this is YOU TomK ( either )

Look in the mirror, are you supporting space based stuff or not ??? Or do you just want to complain about ephemeral launch glitches ?

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 09-03-2016

I notice you did rewrite my post and put it up as italicized,, albeit inaccurately,,

Interesting. The recent, staunch defender of numerous, repetitious, and deceptive multi paragraph posts by pahoated & gypsy is now concerned with the accuracy of a single word? One which has no affect on the overall meaning of the sentence? Perhaps there has been a discovery, albeit it farther down the flanks, on or near Mauna Kea tonight.

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - PaulW - 09-03-2016

I can't recall any observatories exploding. Space telescopes are constantly under threat from space junk but they're a welcome though as yet incredibly expensive supplement.

Ground based do run the risk of being attacked by the lunatic fringe. Don't laugh, the way it's going with the anti-science movement, it could just be a matter of time. Carl Sagan was right.

Or do you just want to complain about ephemeral launch glitches ?

If by ephemeral you mean "short lived" I would say that term more accurately describes the satellite itself, and not the long term effects of the launch glitch.

The next time a Mauna Kea observatory explodes, I look forward to it being described as an ephemeral observing glitch.