Punaweb Forum
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th (/showthread.php?tid=6893)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - peregrine - 02-28-2010

Mr.Ellis states that he wants dialogue, needs input from neighbors and intends to be respectful of all views. If he is being truthful with that statement, there will be no exceptions, at all.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Thunderfoot - 03-01-2010

All I can say is Wow to reading this entire post. I don't live near the SPACE area, and this is the first time I have heard of this matter. So, it is very eye opening. I want to thank everyone for their very articulate statements, it is a lot to think about for sure.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - StillHope - 03-01-2010

May be I am too late with this suggestion.

But is it possible for the SPACE organization to schedule first some kind of meeting with the immediate neighbors and try to settle?

And AFTER - have this big meeting if necessary?

This way it would be fair and the SPACE "officials" wold certainly look much better in people's eyes,if it matters.

I personally don't believe much in those kind of things,but may be that tsunami warning was a sign to reschedule the right way?

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Graham - 03-01-2010

At the meeting on March 6th we will be listening to testimony from Seaview residents before any others in order to facilitate this proposal.
There will be other meetings in the future which may be limited to Seaview property owners or residents.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - missydog1 - 03-01-2010

Mr. Ellis, from reading your responses here, I can't help but notice that you aren't deviating from your planned course. That's your right, of course. But you're talking about listening, and at the same time you're not engaging in a listening manner with the suggestions. You're just saying the equivalent of 'this is what we are doing and what we will be doing.'

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - oink - 03-02-2010

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on this whole thing Kathy, along with those of Bob Orts. I also tend to be one of those that think you need to keep your word. If your word can't be trusted then your word means nothing. I also believe the laws and rules should be followed. If they are wrong then work to get them changed. I don't really have a horse in this race other than being a Puna property owner but again I have to agree with Bob's concerns here. It does seem like zoning needs to be addressed for Puna as a whole. It's sad that none of the aspiring politicians seem to have any courage on this topic. They must have already been to the politician training class.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Greg - 03-02-2010

Laws and rules should generally be followed, but some laws and rules need to be modified or struck. This is why we are indebted to outlaws and criminals like Martin Luther King Jr and Susan B Anthony.

I'm not suggesting that the SPACE people are doing any radical revolutionary change, but I salute any grassroots organization who takes it upon themselves to bring programs and services to areas ignored by government.

I've seen the hundreds (not an exageration) of Puna youth who have benefited from the Hiccup Circus programs alone over the last twenty years.

I see Graham responding to criticism and gathering input from those most impacted by SPACE. I'm optimistic that the SUP will be allowed to be modified and continued.

What would be criminal in my mind is to "throw the baby out with the bathwater" and bring a halt to one of the most effective and beneficial organizations in Puna.

Who will fill the void, the County?

Stoneface

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - oink - 03-02-2010

quote:
Originally posted by Greg: This is why we are indebted to outlaws and criminals like Martin Luther King Jr and Susan B Anthony.

Apples and oranges. It is my understanding that those two broke laws in open protest understanding that there were consequences and were willing to accept those consequences in furtherance of their causes. Is that the case with S.P.A.C.E.?

S.P.A.C.E. should revert back to complying with their original SUP and then work toward providing those other services in a proper setting. It soumds like they need to work with FOPF, etc. to get a better location for their activities properly zoned and permitted.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Obie - 03-02-2010

The one activity that benefits the most people is the Farmers Market.There no provision for a Farmers Market in that zoning.The county looks at Farmers Markets as commercial activities.Pahoa has theirs in a commercial zone.Makuu is on Hawaiian Home Lands.

Space has no provision for parking other than on the street.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - JerryCarr - 03-02-2010

As a supporter for the Puna CDP and an advocate for zoning reform in Puna, I have been watching this debate with great interest. I have to say that there has been a lot of thoughtful, civil discussion on both sides, along with a bit of huffy personal stuff.

One thing that has finally gelled in the opinion section of my mind is this: Despite the obvious and undeniable good that SPACE has done for the community, somebody was either asleep at the wheel or being worse than disingenuous when they kept adding activities and/or structures outside the limits of the SUP that the County granted way back when. Now if I were the guys at the County, I would be thinking, "We gave these folks a break, and now they've gone about five steps over the line. Why should we give them another?" The answer to that "why" for a lot of SPACE's supporters would be because they do the greater community a lot of good. For others, it's not that simple.

This should be very interesting as it plays out. Whatever the outcome, this whole mess should be used as an object lesson in how zoning and land use in Puna need serious reform. What we have now is not working.