Punaweb Forum
How real is the rascism ? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How real is the rascism ? (/showthread.php?tid=12950)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Rob Tucker - 01-07-2014

quote:
Originally posted by Oneself

Is it any different than being a minority in any society ?

Yes it is. In Hawaii everybody is a minority. I like it that way.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - ericlp - 01-07-2014

yes and no is my answer. Some people can move past racial tensions ... Others can't. If you can you'll have little concern.

Your question is like asking if there is any bad attitudes here. Well, yes, but that doesn't have to reflect on you. I've noticed that this board is inundated with dead bodies and missing ones ... Kinda brings one down if you let it. Depends on what threads you want to click on I guess. That choice is up to you. I semi came here to get away from main stream BS news and I'm all the better for it. Haven't owned a tv for 5 years now. Best decision I'v ever made Smile

RE: How real is the rascism ? - seventhreads - 01-07-2014

you reap what you sow. welcome to life with racism. it can really mess up a good day, huh?

i find it hilarious when haoles complain of racism here. one because i think it is exaggerated and two, as a person of color growing up on the mainland and experiencing racism as just a part of my everyday life (there, not here) i find it hard to be sympathetic. this is and has been business as usual for the rest of us so called "minorities" back on the mainland. now the tables have turned it would seem, welcome to the club. for better or worse we learned to live with it, that's all you can do. either that or leave.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - TheodoreJay - 01-07-2014

Depends on the situation. My 8 visits or so to Puna I found it a very friendly place but of course I was spending money there. That part of the island is a melting pot of all types, races, ages, and income groups. If you are trying to fit into a particular sub group where you are an obvious outsider then you will get lots of second looks at first till they know you are some one to trust which could take a while. Will you fit in for sure...no one can guarantee that which is a good argument for renting in the neighborhood you are planning on living in for a while before you pick up and move everyting. As for employment if you have a particular skiil that no one else can do then its easy but if you are trying to get an average job then its the same as everywhere else (not what you know but who you know).

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Punababa - 01-07-2014

Well said Seven threads , am from Country “A” Lived there 33 years got tired of that country as I was a minority there ( 2% of the population of that country), so I came to the main land USA 25 years ago believing that it’s a land of equal opportunity and nation of laws, soon I realized only the Rich and the dominant race enjoyed those privileges. Then I went through a process of self-realization and started to practice “Advaita Vedanta” now this made me a Minority of the Minority and I live here in a very conservative town “in cognito” fearful that people will know my belief system and discriminate me further. I can tell you when the people in Punweb complain about Racism it’s laughable. Last summer I visited Puna by chance and I got a strong Vibe that this is where I belong so I purchased a piece of land and hope to retire there in couple of years, then I will be an absolute minority (.01% of the population), having lived in several countries I can tell you the Hawaiians are the least prejudice of all the cultures that I have experienced, yes there will be a few bad apples but its not the dominant trait of the people.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Lupie - 01-07-2014

I think it has a lot to do with fitting in. If you are going to come in and act like your poo doesn't stink... Then you aren't going to fit in. If you come in and want to change the way things are/how they work then you won't fit in.
I've never had a problem. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist... I think it exists everywhere. There are always going to be people that are just ignorant.
Though I also think part of the problem is (like Bananahead was saying) if someone is going to act like they are afraid that every Hawaiian/local is going to treat them badly, so they won't even give that person a chance... Good luck, but you would get that from any person or group if you treated them that way.
Treat others as you wish to be treated and you won't have a problem.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Lee M-S - 01-07-2014

I used to think that racists were motivated by skin color.

Then I decided it was motivated by economic differences.

Now I think it's people who are unhappy sometimes think anybody who's a little different is causing the unhappiness.

><(((*> ~~~~ ><(("> ~~~~ ><'> ~~~~ >(>

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Peter Easterling - 01-07-2014

A wise friend, after living on Oahu for a year, recognized his own racial assumptions. Hawaii, he found, was "the first place I have lived where we (haole) are not the majority." I am certain he appreciated the humility and broadened perspective he gained here. He carried little racial baggage, treated everyone with courtesy and respect and loves the islands still.
I am a "local haole," having lived here since age 5 or 6. My wife (Japanese heritage from Maui) and I find Puna to be reminiscent of the Hawaii of our childhood. Racial identity (and what high school you went) are sources of pride. Racism per se, can be found, like anyplace. Puna as my Asian born sister-in-law says, "is a very accepting place." I love the advice to make eye contact, give a smile and say Hi to local residents (and everyone else for that matter).

RE: How real is the rascism ? - jackson - 01-07-2014

After a lifetime of racial privilege, I think some have a hard time being a very real minority. Keep a real smile on your face, smile when you make eye contact, know and remember the history here, learn how to pronounce the names, etc. I've lived in many places, most where I am the racial majority and I can easily say I've never come close to feeling the Aloha I feel here. You really get back what you put out; most of the time. Humility goes a long way here.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Adam-I-Am - 01-07-2014

If I were Hawaiian I'd be angry about my land being taken by the USA in the 1890's. (But taken land CAN'T be given back--it's some sort of unwritten law by ... the USA.) Being angry at someone for racial reasons is, of course, not justified. But being angry at people from the USA (the mainland) might BE justified. Just my opinion.