Punaweb Forum
Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car (/showthread.php?tid=13635)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Guest - 05-14-2014

Pahoated, Thank you for your informative post, I could not agree more. Hopefully this guy is o.k and chooses a different path for awhile. This almost seems like it has happened before maybe in the same area too. I thought a young girl or woman was spared her life from a falling branch onto her vehicle around Lava tree park. Scary stuff for usually it happens with no warnings, so far lucky no casualties too.
Some other things those albizia's are good for are homes to tree frogs like this loud Kokee, also good for jobs in tree works and road works(for the selected or inconvenienced) . The state and county should try and eradicate before it's to late like it is for the frog. I'm pretty sure the big trees can be (KILLED) with a machete by simply girdling the tree half inch deep all the way around, and then apply your poison. Maybe other's know better methods or can offer advice on ways to clear them without spreading the seeds to the rest of the property(haha).

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - rainyjim - 05-14-2014

Gypsy thats called 'girdling' and can kill them without poison. Fyi.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - MarkP - 05-14-2014

Albezia fix nitrogen, grow, fall down, and rot, building soil in the process, although I am not sure I got the order right. Pretty sure they were introduced because of their soil building capacity. The downside turned out to be that they are so invasive and how inconvenient it is when they are doing all this over your house.

Albezia are legumes yes, but do not fix nitrogen directly. AFAIK, nitrogen is fixed in only 3 ways: bacteria, lightning atrikes, and Haner-Bosch process (industrial/artificial).

No plants actually fix nitrogen, their root tips exude a hormone which attracts beneficial/symbiotic bacteria which then colonize the roots and transform atmospheric nitrogen or N2 into a usable form of nitrogen or NH4 (ammonium) an enzyme called nitrogenase breaks the bonds in the N2 and bonds on hydrogen atoms. This makes the nitrogen "bio-available" to the plants.

As an aside, the above is a rudimentary example of why people who think applying animal manure as fertilizer is the only way to create nitrogen for organic growing are just plain nuts (or ignorant).

So, to recap the Albezia host these nitrogen fixing bacteria and do create soil - but at the expense of our native forests and relative safety.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - james weatherford - 05-14-2014

quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

The albizia was started in Puna, by private enterprise and community agreement, as a possible source of wood for creating jobs such as cabinet and furniture makers.

Really? what is the source for this assertion?

While were randomly speculating, I have it from the son of one of the subdivision developers that the husbands wife liked the look of the albezias and had her husband rip/roll the ohia in leilani and nanawale to make room for ocean and albezia views.

Complete hearsay.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - leilanidude - 05-14-2014

From the HPP web site mentioning past and present items:

"I had a Johnny Appleseed complex in the early 60's when I had more time than anything else, so I got busy and dug up some of the albizzia tree seedlings from the Nanawale Forest Reserve and planted them along Paradise Drive and Makuu. I tried to do it randomly and in far enough, so if utility lines ever came in they wouldn't interfere with them. I can see I didn't really accomplish that, now that the trees have grown up pretty high today. But it is a tree that adapts well to this area, whereas the shower trees, monkey pod and some of the others, just didn't make it when they weren't attended. If you take care of these they will grow all right."

http://www.hppoa.com/page4.html

[B)]

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - kimo wires - 05-14-2014

If it's a windy day and I have to go down there I cut through Lelani. You can avoid driving under most of the trees that way.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Mimosa - 05-14-2014

Around the Sulu Sea in the very southern reaches of the P.I. - Albizia
is grown to make canoes and toothpicks.Next time you use a wooden toothpick ,think albizia .
Maybe a whole new industry on Big island,to make a profit on an invasive.

RE: Falling branch wrecks Big Island man's car - Tink - 05-14-2014

OK. Make canoes, by product is toothpicks. Zero waste. Tourist buys a canoe and paddles off into the sunset chewing on a toothpick?, priceless! ( Had to do it, sorry if I offended anyone!) But good idea Mimosa! Is this species also known as a type of walnut, or am I thinking of another type of Albizia?

Are you a human being, or a human doing?