Punaweb Forum
Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill (/showthread.php?tid=13769)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Anxious Messiah - 06-17-2014

"It is not accurate to portray the farmers who are suing as pro GMO."

Not anymore so than it is to label those who want transparency as "anti-science."

What part of transparency is anti-science, exactly?

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Kelena - 06-17-2014

Labeling would be a form of transparency; outlawing GMO is not a form of transparency. Instead, it draws the curtain closed on science and on agriculture on this island.

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Anxious Messiah - 06-17-2014

The GMO backlash isn't going away. It would be in the best interests of everyone if the GMO growers and multi-nationals were honest with where they are planting and what they are planting next door to our neighborhoods and schools.

The more they obfuscate their actions in the fields, the greater the pushback will be, regardless of the validity of the science.

The legislation was a result of the GMO folks not even willing to come to the table. Now they have to show up. Right wrong or indifferent, it might have been avoided if they had just come to the table in the beginning. They called the ball.

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - hereonearth - 06-17-2014

I keep seeing the anti GMO camp labeled as anti-science as if this was a fact. It appears to be used as a quick way to dismiss their concerns. It is getting old....but if I had a dollar for every time I read it I'd be rich, right?

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Derrick Barnicoat - 06-17-2014

How about the farmers who want to export to Japan or other countries that have banned GMO's? Do you know how much people pay for fruit and fresh produce in Japan? When Japan banned GMO'S the Hawaiian farmers took a major hit.

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - fishenjim - 06-17-2014

I think the fruit fly already stops them from exporting almost all fresh fruit and veg.some
one here knows more about this than me I'm sure.

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - leilanidude - 06-18-2014

quote:
Originally posted by Derrick Barnicoat

How about the farmers who want to export to Japan or other countries that have banned GMO's? Do you know how much people pay for fruit and fresh produce in Japan? When Japan banned GMO'S the Hawaiian farmers took a major hit.

Japan approved the importation of Hawaiian grown GMO papaya several years ago.

This is a very well written article about Japan's arduous approval process for GMO products:

http://www.agbioforum.org/v16n2/v16n2a05-ebata.htm

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Mendo - 06-18-2014

Japan only allowed GMO papaya a couple years a ago. It banned them for 10 years, finally relenting after an expensive PR campaign and political pressure. Like most modern countries they require labeling of GMO papaya. Funny how labeling is available for Japanese consumers but when Americans request labeling, " it's too expensive."
And over 90% of papaya consumed in Japan is non-GMO still - so no one can claim it's been accepted there.

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Peter Easterling - 06-18-2014

Fear and rejection of science is an American phenomenon, not merely here. It is truly sad to watch America become increasingly governed by religious zealots, sophisticated wealthy propagandists, dimwits (Palin) and loud-mouthed self-promoters. Banning GMO crops is anti-science. And while GMO papaya saved that industry in Puna, Russell Ruderman (and others) idea that curtailing future GMO cultivation could provide us with very valuable market niche for our agricultural products. However, many have legitimate concerns about GMO. Despite no proven ill effects, few would deny that the very process is unnatural and somewhat bizarre. No matter. The issue is simply labeling and letting the buyer make a choice. Or are we too dumb to make that choice?

RE: Why farmers sued the county about ANTI GMO bill - Mimosa - 06-18-2014

We find it interesting that in almost every mode of transport these days - is the use of GMO corn in every tank full of fuel.
We also find it most interesting that even at Island Naturals,they use plastic containers with GMO in them.
If people or government were to say,anti GMO everything,commerce as we know it would come to a screeching halt within hours.
It is truly anti science in our way of thinking.
I say sue the county to allow GMO to be grown here in a responsible manner of perhaps under 120 hectares per crop - per year.