Punaweb Forum
Yurt Builder? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Yurt Builder? (/showthread.php?tid=17939)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Yurt Builder? - BigKEO - 12-31-2016

"Put the yurt platform on wheels. It's an RV, no county permit required."

I believe the building codes were amended to ban RV and other portable housing (tiny houses on trailers) from being used as a "dwelling". That is, if it's stationary, it must meet current code. I suppose this is a crackdown of people living in buses and whatnot.

RE: Yurt Builder? - DoryGray - 12-31-2016

quote:
Originally posted by BigKEO

Maybe you can save $ with materials here:

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/mat/5934859065.html

Yes, saw that, but got a lead on a new yurt that a friend wants rid of. Put on wheels, love it. Wasn't going to pull permit anyway. Still looking for assembler though, seems easy enough.

RE: Yurt Builder? - alaskyn66 - 12-31-2016

Permits are highly overrated anyway.If County or state is not going to provide any infrastructure, why pay a tax for the privilege of building a dwelling. So a handful of people in Hilo have jobs is all.

Meanwhile no garbage, no mail, no sidewalks, no streetlights... etc..

RE: Yurt Builder? - kalakoa - 01-01-2017

County or state is not going to provide any infrastructure, why pay a tax for the privilege of building a dwelling

This works both ways: if County is going to insist that permit fees be paid, then it's only right and proper to demand that they provide services...

RE: Yurt Builder? - Guest - 01-02-2017

It is OK to build a temporary shelter to camp out in while you are in the planning / execution stages of building a real, permitted home.

My campsite has two bedrooms, catchment, solar power and a lanai. I like to be comfortable when I am camping out.

It is a temporary structure. Anything built in lava hazard 2 or below is a temporary structure.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.

RE: Yurt Builder? - alaskyn66 - 01-02-2017

quote:
It is a temporary structure. Anything built in lava hazard 2 or below is a temporary structure.

That.. pretty much all of puna is a temporary structure... and hawaii county thanks you.. for Your support.

RE: Yurt Builder? - Kapoho Joe - 01-03-2017

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

County or state is not going to provide any infrastructure, why pay a tax for the privilege of building a dwelling

This works both ways: if County is going to insist that permit fees be paid, then it's only right and proper to demand that they provide services...

Police, Fire and EMT are a good start. Lifeguards, parks, pools, etc. aren't too bad either. I especially am fond of the courts, and the jails. Also not to be discounted are Civil Defense, Public Works and the Health department.

If you want to pretend that you are living off the grid and are 100% self sustainable and think that taxes are an onerous burden on you, then please move to an unincorporated section in northeastern Alaska.

Because if you aren't living in the actual middle of nowhere, and you live in suburban Puna (which includes all of Puna BTW), then you are receiving the benefit of public services and the receipt of said services whilst avoiding taxes is theft.

Sorry Dory, good luck with the yurt!

RE: Yurt Builder? - kalakoa - 01-03-2017

you are receiving the benefit of public services

I receive the indirect benefit of public services (a la "herd immunity") and consider this a fair value for the fees/taxes paid. I would be willing to pay more taxes if this would result in better services, but neither government nor HOA has demonstrated an ability to manage the resources (...our...money...) they do have at their disposal.

RE: Yurt Builder? - bluesboy - 01-03-2017

and it's your right to not like it, and leave. but the endless complaining? c'mon, man. it's hawaii - lighten up.

RE: Yurt Builder? - Tink - 01-03-2017

I wonder what would happen if emergency services checked parcel information while responding. "Sorry sir, we checked your parcel tax status while responding, and it seems you are behind in payment. We can only stand by to make sure the fire doesn't spread to your neighbors parcel, as he is up to date". Or, "we can't find a permit on your structure, so it doesn't exist".

Community begins with Aloha