Punaweb Forum
Fibwr optical - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fibwr optical (/showthread.php?tid=18500)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Fibwr optical - bluesboy - 06-22-2017

there are telephone lines in Eden Roc? will that be the transmission method?

RE: Fibwr optical - DTisme - 06-23-2017

I wonder if that's what they were just stringing down 3rd in HPP yesterday.

RE: Fibwr optical - MarkP - 01-22-2018

I am scheduled to get hooked up on the 26th (Friday). The techs stopped by a few days ago to scout out the job. Due to the distance back from the road they wanted at least one pole. I'm putting in two. They almost made me reschedule but relented when I promised to have the poles in by the 26th.

I got two 2 3/8" OD x 21' sch 40 pipes from Miranda's. By digging and chipping with a small demo hammer I was able to get a hole about 12" deep in the rock. I guyed the pole up from 3 directions to get it level and keep it there while the concrete cures, then troweled the concrete in around the base of the pole. I will probably build up around the base with more rocks and concrete to get a little better support.

My neighbor was getting the run around from Hawaiian TelCom. They somehow could not find him on the map. They were able to later after he gave them my address where they were scheduled to install service in a few days.

RE: Fibwr optical - My 2 cents - 01-22-2018

According to the specs that they sent me, they want a 4" pole sunk 5' deep for one utility. There's no way for them to know how deep you went (5' is just crazy) but they will certainly see the pole diameter. The good news is that the office people you talked to were probably in Honolulu and don't have a clue, and the installers, at least the ones I dealt with, were very helpful and understanding. Up to you how you want to proceed. Good luck.

RE: Fibwr optical - MarkP - 01-22-2018

Well I guess we shall see. I spoke with them and they did not specify a minimum size.

A 4" pole is something like $300. The 2 3/8" poles were $85 each.

RE: Fibwr optical - kalakoa - 01-23-2018

I spoke with them and they did not specify a minimum size.

If you want a real answer, you need to ask for a site survey, Telcom will send out an actual craftsperson who knows the real requirements and will tell them to you.

Requirements -- especially height -- are different if you're on the "good" side of the road (that is, with the poles, so the wire doesn't cross the road).

Telcom will also install in conduit if you give them a pull string.

RE: Fibwr optical - MarkP - 01-23-2018

Just spent 10 minutes on the phone with Hawaiian TelCom tech support. First, they had trouble finding my records. In the end they could not tell me if there are any specifications for poles. At least the people I was talking to couldn't. We left it that the installers will tell me what is needed when they get here. I'm gonna install the other pole and hope for the best.

FWIW I am on the same side of the road as the main wires. When I first spoke with the guys who came for the initial site check I suggested running along the fence line, installing some extra tall T-posts (you can get them up to 12' tall I think, for creating a trellis for climbing plants). They said they needed at least 15' or so. They didn't say "Oh, it has to be a schedule 40 pipe of XYZ dimensions". Add some wishful thinking on my part and voila, here we are.

FWIW I am on the same side of the road as the main wires.

That makes a huge difference.

they needed at least 15'

I've seen some installs "right next to" the pole that are well under 15'. At least one of them was obviously a metal fencepost.

RE: Fibwr optical - My 2 cents - 01-23-2018

I wasn't able to copy from the attachment, but it says 10' over walkways, 12' over driveways, and 18'6" over roadways. Here is the e-mail for the guy who sent me the specs:

Edward Andrade <Edward.Andrade@hawaiiantel.com>

But again, the work crew was much more congenial.

10' over walkways, 12' over driveways, and 18'6" over roadways

The "much shorter" installs I have seen were over jungle.

the work crew was much more congenial

This is almost always the case. Especially if whatever facilities you provide make it really easy for them.