Punaweb Forum
water pump repair - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: water pump repair (/showthread.php?tid=18587)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: water pump repair - MarkP - 07-18-2017

The pump should turn off. Something else is wrong.

RE: water pump repair - terracore - 07-18-2017

Sorry but realized I misread the previous post and didn't read that you had removed the tank. So this ETA is a complete re-write.

As I understand it, the pressure switch is banking on the difference between bladder water pressure and the air pressure within the tank to function. They do make pumps that work without a pressure tank but I don't think yours is one of them, at least not in the current configuration. You can try dialing down the upper pressure limit to about 20 PSI and see if that works. But I don't know if your pressure switch has that range. You will also have to dial down the lower pressure limit to something a bit lower than that or else the pump won't kick on. I think the "stock setting" on a pressure switch won't allow it to shut off as you've described what you've done because the house plumbing system has more volume for the pressure to explore. Think of the PSI at the end of 100' foot hose hooked up to such a system. Will be substantially less than the first spigot near your pump. Trying dialing down the pressure switch upper limit if you can, and the lower limit somewhere below that. Just an idea. I AM NOT A PLUMBER. I have never played a plumber on TV.

RE: water pump repair - macuu222 - 07-18-2017

Thanks terracore. That makes perfect sense. But I'm not gonna mess with pressure switch factory settings. I'm just going to replace the pressure tank tomorrow. I know for sure that needs replacing....and then go from there.

RE: water pump repair - terracore - 07-18-2017

If I was buying a new pressure tank, I would get the biggest that I could afford / would fit in the space. Good luck and please let us know how it all worked out for you.

RE: water pump repair - macuu222 - 07-19-2017

New pressure tank from Home Depot installed today.....a few adjustments to the pressure switch...... and we're back in business!!

RE: water pump repair - leilanidude - 07-19-2017

.a few adjustments to the pressure switch.
=====
But you said you didn't want to touch the factory settings? Always adjust to your own needs, which are based on the pressure you set on the tank and what your piping can handle, as well as a couple of other factors... I am sure a real plumber could elaborate for us.

RE: water pump repair - birdmove - 07-19-2017

Do you know how long that pressure tank lasted for you?

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: water pump repair - macuu222 - 07-19-2017

7 years. It was a flotec 42 gallon tank from Home Depot. I bought it together with the Flotec pump.

RE: water pump repair - oink - 07-20-2017

http://www.wplawinc.com/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=49018

"Prior to operation, with the tank, empty of water, the pressure should be 2psi below the cut-on pressure. So, for example, with a 30-50 pressure switch (factory default setting), air pressure in the tank will equal 28psi. If the pressure switch is adjusted to 40-60, the cut-on pressure will be 38psi. Furthermore, always set the pressure switch to reflect a 20psi differential between cut-on and cut-off. If the pump cycles too quickly causing the pump to cut on and off, setting the pressure switch to a higher on/off setting should slow down the cycling. Remember to adjust the air pressure in the tank to reflect the new cut -on pressure. Warning! Most non-commercial tanks have a pressure rating of 100psi!"

Also remember, the tank can lose some air over time. If this happens it will put more strain on the bladder causing premature failure. It pays to drain the tank and recheck the air pressure periodically.

ETA: As far as filing the points. You can get a points file from the auto parts store that make this a lot easier. However, while it's good to have that capability it is, IMHO, a temporary solution to do in the middle of the night or on Sunday when getting a new switch or immediate replacement isn't practical. I also always have a new in the box switch on the shelf. In my experience, once having been filed the points won't go too long without having to be filed again.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: water pump repair - terracore - 07-20-2017

Thanks for the info.

Our tank instructions specify to check the air pressure every 6 months. And every six months our tank needs quite a bit of air added to it.

I had never owned a house with catchment before, I didn't realize that the tanks needed air added until our pump was cycling much too frequently and I researched why that would happen. When I found out that under the black plastic cover there was a tire stem and checked it, no air.

At the minimum I add air when the UV lamp needs a replacement. Easy to remember since an alarm goes off when the light replacement is due. And then at some filter replacement roughly half way through that 12 month cycle I add air again.