Punaweb Forum
4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea (/showthread.php?tid=23117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Durian Fiend - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 04:10 PM)Obie Wrote: AWD doesn't have a transfer case with low range.

A true 4WD or 4x4 has a transfer case that can be shifted into low range. You can drive from the top to the bottom without touching the brakes.
1st gear is not low enough?    

Waipio would be a good test of that Subaru hill descent mode.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 07-24-2023

It uses the brakes which you don't want to do.

Once the hill-descent control is active and engaged by the driver, the vehicle will use the ABS braking system, the traction control system, and/or advanced engine braking to keep the vehicle in check. The vehicle will not surpass a designated speed.

Waipio is a short hill compared to Mauna Kea, so it would work for Waipio.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - HiloJulie - 07-24-2023

I wonder what the going rate Ken’s Towing charges today?

This was 10 years ago. 

https://bigislandnow.com/2013/02/27/abandoned-rental-car-removed-from-mauna-kea-summit/

I know a few years ago the Rangers would not let you leave the visitors center unless you had 4 wheel drive as well as an inspection of your vehicle including brakes, cleanliness, age of all occupants etc.

I assume that to still be the case?

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-27-2023

The much stricter rules about driving to the summit area came about at roughly the same time as the TMT protests started. I'd have to spend some time looking to see what exactly prompted what, but some might remember the concerns that protesters near the VIS at ~9000 ft had introduced invasive species.

The dirt road was always off-limits to non-4WD cars but the rules were never enforced, so all sorts of cars went to the summit. Barely a week would go by without some local or tourist having their car towed from the summit. Many years ago, the cost was around $1000 but I suspect it's a lot more now. There were several accidents as well, nearly all involving burned-out brakes when driving down the mountain although there were a few collisions on the turnbacks and the odd incident such as the one HiloJulie mentions. These days the rules are much stricter. Observatory and tour vehicles, those that visit the summit regularly, have to go through inspections to make sure they are clean and free of invasive species before being allowed above the VIS (or more accurately, Hale Pohuku). Vehicles still break down though and there's usually at least one email sent out per month warning observatory staff of stalled vehicles and a tow truck on the way.

As for AWD cars, I'd be surprised if any are allowed up for the reasons Obie stated. Even in first gear on the way down, you have to use your brakes, so using 4WDs essential for safety; not to help deal with the dirt road but to handle driving steeply downhill for many miles.

And thanks again to HiloJulie for actually answering the OP. If anyone knows of any other companies that allow you to take their 4WD rental cars to the summit, please post them here.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 07-27-2023

Here's one more Tom:

https://www.bigislandjeeprental.com/maunakea

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-28-2023

Thank you, Obie!

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-28-2023

(07-24-2023, 03:13 PM)dobanion Wrote: Don't go at the last minute before sunset, you'll be staring directly into the sun on every other switchback.

This is an excellent tip, thank you dobanion! There have been collisions between vehicles due to this. The setting sun can be blinding and all you need is some idiot racing down the mountain and you'll never see them until they hit you. Some people have simply driven their vehicle off the road into a culvert simply because they were blinded by the sun.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 07-29-2023

If I were on island, I could offer a ride in my 1959 Willys pickup.

[attachment=198]

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - HiloJulie - 07-29-2023

(07-29-2023, 12:58 AM)Obie Wrote: If I were on island, I could offer a ride in my 1959 Willys pickup.
Thats a cool Willys Obie!

I remember as a teen girl our next-door neighbor had a regular Army Jeep. There was an episode of MASH in the early 1970's that aired where Radar gets caught actually mailing a Jeep back to his home - piece by piece.

Our neighbor from that time forward got tagged with the nickname "Radar!"

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-30-2023

(07-29-2023, 12:58 AM)Obie Wrote: If I were on island, I could offer a ride in my 1959 Willys pickup.

I would love to see the MK Rangers' reaction seeing that drive to the summit! Would it be able to make it to 14,000 ft? I assume it has a carburetor and although I'm no car mechanic, I thought you have to make adjustments with changes in altitude.