Punaweb Forum
Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. (/showthread.php?tid=5030)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - missydog1 - 03-07-2009

hey, thanks for the responses!

quote:
We all live on the flanks of the most active volcano in the world. I don’t really think it matters much where you call home on either of the two east side volcanos.

Actually I chose to buy in Lava Zone 8, Scott, this last go-round, after looking seriously at Zone 2 (and 3).

John, yes I remember well your investments in Leilani, and I take your point about property values.

I respect all your opinions and am just interested in how people feel about this risk. I agree Hilo is not "safe" - especially Kaumana City - but I wouldn't live in Kaumana City. My last house was in lower Waiakea. I didn't feel like it was immune, but there sure would be a lot of people in the boat if it went down.

I do think there's a difference between being in an area right by the rift and an area that would be reached slowly, with a lot of warning.

I'm probably more concerned with fire than the average person, because I have had my house burn down in the middle of the night and barely gotten out in time, lost all my stuff that had memories. Then later my neighbor's house burned down in the middle of the night and it was built with a 0 foot setback so the fire was literally seven feet away from my house ... fire for me is not a hypothetical ...

But then, there are lots of ways other than lava to have a fire.

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - DickWilson - 03-08-2009

Kani-lehua, yes they accepted offer. hooray. Kathy H, unless Im terribly wrong Nanawale is LZ2. At least I sure hope so. Please correct me if I'm wrong, we went off the LZ maps from the state. which claim all of Nanawale is LZ2.Kahunascott forgive me asking, but who did you go thru to get insurance, and did they want your right or left arm for the coverage?

dick wilson

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - missydog1 - 03-08-2009

Very sorry Dick, I meant Zone 2 as you said, and wasn't questioning your research.
I see Zone 1 and 2 as pretty similar in terms of actual risk though.

I don't mean to cast gloom on your new purchase. Just sometimes I wonder if we're in collective denial and drawing confidence from each others' decisions to build in disregard of the rift zone proximity.

Or do we believe Kilauea won't shift its eruption anytime soon? Most of the time I feel like it's settled into a nice rut that could continue a long time; occasionally I wonder.

We realize that we are living with a volcano as a neighbor and could suffer from the proximity, hence our desire for insurance. Since this home is not being financed, we want to protect our investment. Unfortunately there are only a few area's on BI that are considered very low risk and we have to make the trade off. Lava flow with the exception of the Hilo eruption have historically been slow allowing time to get out of the way, which of course doesn't mean the next one will also be a slow flow, but one can only look at the historical data and hope it is a good predictor of behavior.

dick wilson

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - John S. Rabi - 03-08-2009

I hope local resident John Dirgo chips in on this subject, but I believe a part of Nanawale Estates is in Lava Zone 1.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"

Thanks John; Now that you've scared the sh** out of me, I Google earthed Hapuu rd in Nanavale and it is thankfully in LZ2.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - Greg - 03-08-2009

I don't have much doubt that lava will emerge elsewhere along Kilauea's east rift zone......eventually.

Look at any map that shows lava flows over the last two hundred years.

It's not Kilauea that threatens the most, however;

Hualalai is considered active, has much steeper slopes for faster moving lava, and has much more development on it.

While Kilauea lava oozes, Hualalai's lava will probably race to the sea.

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - PaulW - 03-08-2009

Wow, I'd never even heard of Hualalai.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/volcanoes/hualalai/

That map is reassuring, for me (in HPP). I'd rather deal with Kilauea than Mauna Loa any day.

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - Carey - 03-08-2009

The greatest danger for home on this island are termites & house fires, the greatest natural (if you don't count termites) danger is earthquake, & that is a constant threat, with up t 40 a week at times. Most of these are not in felt by us, but major damage ones happen about every 2 decades & areas of lava zones 8 & 6 have been the most effected by earthquake damage in the past century. (we have yet to find a company that insure for earthquake damage here, if anyone has info, love to have it)

So if you have a wood house & do not have a termite policy & an earthquake policy, the less likely chance of lava seems to be mote point... at least to me. If you are worried more about loss of life, do you know what to do if you feel an earthquake while in downtown Hilo? A survey done at the University found that a majority of respondents did not.

RE: Homeowners Insurance in Nanawale est. - EightFingers - 03-09-2009

That's why I keep saying there should only be two lava zones:
1 - everywhere south of a line from Hilo to Kona
2 - everything else.
No one knows for sure where the lava's gonna show up!