Punaweb Forum
Face of Puna - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Face of Puna (/showthread.php?tid=6150)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Face of Puna - mdd7000 - 12-17-2009

Carrying oink's theme a bit further... airplane pilots, must be OK for them too since it is a "harmless" drug according to our Kona council member?

RE: Face of Puna - jon_Brown - 12-17-2009

I would imagine that medical institutions as well as law enforcement agencies would still be able to keep that as a standard policy concerning conduct while on and off duty due to the nature of their jobs. Truck Drivers, Teachers, etc. aren't permitted to drink on the job, but I'm sure more than a few would classify themselves as a drinker because alcohol is legal and there are no repercussions for using it casually on your off time, unless of course it's being abused. The same is not true for marijuana.

I'm not advocating that everyone would partake irresponsibly, but a bank or company could no longer bar someone from being hired based solely on marijuana use, I think. It would be a matter of revising some legalities if it is indeed every going to become legal.

ex-s. fl resident...

RE: Face of Puna - Laughing_girl - 12-17-2009

There are two things I want my pilot to be - a non-alcoholic anal retentive control freak and a non-stoner, but I would also like my surgeon to be those two also.

I don't care if my local farmer is any of those.

RE: Face of Puna - Greg - 12-17-2009

One problem with Marijuana is that it registers positive in the body long after its effects are over.

Your airline pilot is legal as an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink for 24 hours, but busted if he had a joint two months ago while on vacation.

As in any War, the money spent on the "war on drugs" doesn't just vaporize; It goes into the pockets of people and corporations. This isn't a small amount of money, and is one of the major obstacles facing legalization.

Stoneface

RE: Face of Puna - oink - 12-17-2009

If my pilot is an alcoholic I don't want him flying if he hasn't had a drink for 24 hrs.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Face of Puna - Greg - 12-17-2009

That's pretty funny oink; [Big Grin] You can bet however, that there are more than a few alcoholic pilots, and their urine is sparkling clean.

Stoneface

RE: Face of Puna - kimo wires - 12-17-2009

8 hours from bottle to throttle.

RE: Face of Puna - mdd7000 - 12-17-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

That's pretty funny oink; [Big Grin] You can bet however, that there are more than a few alcoholic pilots, and their urine is sparkling clean.

Stoneface

In a former job, I worked for a company that had major processing centers located all over the US, nearby all of the major airports. It was routine to see pilots, flight engineers and flight attendants, etc. check into the same hotels as I and my group, go straight to their rooms and not come back out. Next am, bright and early, I would see them all get the freebie breakfast and get onto the shuttles. I never - repeat - never - saw them getting drinks at the hotel bar or leaving to go somewhere. It gives a lot of confidence in the system and their professionalism. Sure, there will always be one or two here and there that are a problem, but in general, these people are top-notch pros.

I had well over 1 million miles on AA and over 500k on the other airlines in 6 years, all done within North America. Think about how many flights that was. I do miss the perks of being AA Executive Platinum!

RE: Face of Puna - Greg - 12-18-2009

One of the skills of a functional alcoholic is the ability to conceal their problem.

I'm not trying to disrespect airline pilots, but they are subject to the same stresses, afflictions, and heredetary traights as the rest of society.

My point is that Marajuana testing is biased; A joint smoked on vacation will register positive for months, branding the user as a drug addict. A habitual drinker with a much more serious problem will likely pass undetected.

Stoneface

RE: Face of Puna - Bob Orts - 12-18-2009

FYI, even if Hawaii makes marijuana legal, a private employer still has the right to deny or terminate employment due to use. So long as its still a federal crime, the state can not prohibit employers from enforceing their own drug policy based on marijuana use because its still illegal under federal law.