Punaweb Forum
Dog Prices - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Dog Prices (/showthread.php?tid=8228)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Dog Prices - DanielP - 12-24-2010

When you consider the cost of owning a dog for 10-15 years, a few hundred at the outset is small potatoes. I have owned dogs for 50 years, counting childhood and only paid for a purebred the last time. My German Shepherd is the finest dog that I have owned. Worth well more than the $400 I paid. However, there are no guarantees and none are perfect.

RE: Dog Prices - Ourgreenie - 12-24-2010

The price of a puppy is basically whatever the buyer is willing to pay.
Before moving to Hawaii I bred and showed dogs for 30 years. Most of my pups sold for between $250 and $350 because the general public wouldn't pay more. I occasionally got an outstanding quality show prospect for which I could get $1000 to $3000 from another show fanatic.
When I moved here I found that I missed having dogs underfoot, so I did my homework and ending up importing two high quality German Shepherds. Being highly particular in what I wanted, I ended up paying through the nose for them but I don't regret it! They turned into two super dogs, they are a joy to be with and look at. They are sound in both body and mind. I couldn't be happier.
I do occasionally produce a litter because we get so many requests for pups. I sell the pups for $600 no papers under spay/ neuter agreements or $2500 papered (that's what I paid for each dog not including the importation costs). Why $600? Strictly arbitrary. I figure $5 per month for 10 years = $600. Why $2500? That's what the best pups from these bloodlines and tested parents sell for around the world.
Now before everyone starts screaming at me, I'm no show dog snob. I also have a working Border Collie and 3 mix breed dogs that needed homes. Over the years I've done more than my share of rescuing dogs and educating would-be puppy mass producers.
Here in Hawaii breeders can get high prices for purebreds because puppies cannot be brought over from the mainland. One would have to know and trust a person in the UK or Australia/New Zealand in order to get a good quality puppy shipped here. Yes, you can get puppies over on Oahu, but what is coming in from Australia is really poor quality! By quality I don't only mean looks and confirmation, but also health and temperament. It's a shame.
Why do people pay hundreds of dollars for mix breeds? Because they want to, simple as that. They want a puppy of a certain size, color, shape, etc. And they are willing to pay. So that's why little Chihuahua mix pups are pricy, or farm dogs with 6 breeds in them sell. People want them. If people were not willing to pay, then these pups would be cheaper.....or not be bred in the first place!

RE: Dog Prices - David M - 12-24-2010

We have Boxers - healthy with full AKC with excellent pedigrees. Two came with us when we moved. Our male at the time was intact and a good candidate to add diversity to the rather limited BI gene pool. Unfortunately, we were unable to breed him. We found a nice female pup locally where the breeder had imported an Italian stud to go with her Oahu/New Zealand pedigree female. She was $1000. Unfortunately, before she was old enough to breed ( 2nd heat) our male passed unexpectedly. After much searching, we decided to bring in a male from New Zealand. If you think the above prices are something, you do not want to know what he cost us, but suffice it to say it was more than I paid for my first ever brand new car.
What we have done that may not be apparent is some health testing on both our male and female. This is done in hopes of producing a better quality, long lived specimen of the breed. This is of course in addition to the usual vet stuff, not just your annual visit. This pair has produced 2 litters, a total of 13 pups. Some of these pups are still on island, some not, we kept 3 of them - all pets, not for breeding. Some folks may think we have become rich, but they'd be mistaken. I can understand that kennel pups, where you hose down the area now and then may not require much time, but ours were hand raised, house pups from the moment they were born. We keep our pups 8 weeks to ensure they are properly developed and socialized. They will have had at least 3 trips to the vet before going on to their new homes. Probably a good thing we did it for love of the breed and not for the money. I guess we could have sold them for less, in essence, giving them away at a loss, but why? Collecting welfare or unemployment would be more profitable.

So, yes, those prices for run of the mill, non health tested, kennel pups may be out of line, but please, check out the situation before drawing conclusions. While you shouldn't expect to get a mercedes for yugo prices there is no reason not to be pleased with a good slightly used chevy - a good rescue just might be the ticket.

David

Ninole Resident

RE: Dog Prices - Mitzi M - 12-24-2010

Every dog I have ever had the pleasure of living with has been either a foundling or a humane society catch. They would have been worth much more than I could ever afford if you add it up, but fortunately it only cost me their spay/neuter fee. I did visit the humane society several times before I found my perfect matches there, but it only took a few weeks.

So many animals go there on the BI. I swear it seems like they know you bailed them out and are thankful forever.

Honestly, if you love animals, I think it's the only thing to do. You can find nearly any breed you are looking for(well close, anyway) if you are patient.

I read somewhere that to empty all the shelters in the USA it would mean that every adult citizen would need to adopt a total of nine pets. Nine is much, but I mean to do my part.

ADOPT A SHELTER ANIMAL - you'll be super glad you did!

RE: Dog Prices - Carey - 12-24-2010

Why do people charge X amount? as ourgreenie said, because they can get that much for the puppy....maybe...

the unfortunate truth is that there are many dogs that are bred (or bred all by themselves) whose puppies are not sold, but abandoned, "taken off to the woods", used as "pit bait"... the list goes on.

I am going to go along with Cgray on the gene pool of some owners... having worked with one dog that was from a questionable human gene pool - the extent of malice some have is unfathomable...

I have known families that have paid much for a 'side of the road by the shopping center' dog, only to find out it was not the breed, nor had any health care while other families we know have gotten a good dog at a 'fair' price from the same area.

I would think that a buyer would have to be more than a little cautious of putting hundreds of dollars on a 'back of the truck' purchase, but the heartstrings seem to get in the way on some purchases...

RE: Dog Prices - tlboyles1 - 12-25-2010

quote:
Originally posted by Glen

The Banksters who just got a tax cut have this kind of money.
I got my girl at the humane society. She had been abandoned twice before. I paid $50 for her.....

That Mindy of yours is a beautiful dog, and she looks to have a kind face.

RE: Dog Prices - islandboo - 12-25-2010

It seems like people became willing to pay big bucks for mixed breed dogs when people started giving them cutesie names. They went from being mutts to being labradoodles and cockapoos and puggles. They are the "dried plums" of the pet world (because prunes are a geezer food).

RE: Dog Prices - John S. Rabi - 12-25-2010

quote:
Originally posted by Cagary
Due to the current economic conditions, many people are leaving for the mainland and are not able to take their animals with them.
I always start "boiling" when I read something like this! Those people should not have pets to begin with! Pets are like family members and not toys that one can just discard. BTW, I have a very good friend who just purchased a specific pure bred dog. She is your average Joan Doe working two jobs. After her first same kind of pure bred dog died she just had to get another one.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)

RE: Dog Prices - robguz - 12-25-2010

Selling dogs and cats is not allowed on craigslist so I always mark those as prohibited. You can give your pet away with a small rehoming fee which they don't define. I define it as anything more than what the Humane Society charges and always mark those that are obviously breeders.

RE: Dog Prices - Cagary - 12-25-2010

The prohibition clearly is not being enforced. There are several dogs, sheep, goats, cows, horses, etc. on the site all for sale. Some mention re homing fees, others don't. These people are clearly not just trying to give their animals away.