Punaweb Forum
Relocating to Puna - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Relocating to Puna (/showthread.php?tid=17)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 09-20-2005

The "details" have worked us. We have come to the conclusion that the spirit of a blessing will not be met this weekend, so we are postponing a few weeks. Will keep you posted. Thank you for your patience.

Aloha and Mahalo

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 09-26-2005

The great adventure continues....

Thankfully, I have made wonderful new friends here in Hawaii. They are sure needed now. Seems I have a nice BIG kidney stone that is stuck, so I will be off to the hospital soon to have it removed. Bad timing as I am moving out of my apartment into the cabin and we are hustling like mad to get it all together. I must say the drugs here are VERY effective al pain control but it sure doesn't help me pack and move! So, thank goodness for wonderful friends and good neighbors. Aloha spirit is alive and well in Glenwood!! M A H A L O

RE: Relocating to Puna - Seeb - 09-27-2005

Sorry about the Stone, i've passed a few of the things and theres on pain like it

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 09-27-2005

Thanks for the good thoughts. Does anyone have a source for purchasing Kiawe wood for a ritual pig roast??

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 09-30-2005

for all those of you who are NOT on island, the aftermath of the east pacific tropical storms has hit Hilo straight on. Rain is heavy and I am personally 3 inches deep in water around my apartment. I imagine the ranch is flowing! My caretaker tells me he would have to swim across the pasture! Fortunately my survivalist instincts caused me to pack the cabin with a full months supply of canned goods and driet peas, beans and pasta.

Hilo town is expected to close down within 24 hours with flooding. My wonderful landlady has given me an extra week to get out of the apartment since I had urgent survery for the stone night before last. As expected in lovely Hawaii, Aloha permeates and everyone will pull together to get thru what might be a tough week, and what might be nothing at all. And after all, this IS the rainforest!!!

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 10-02-2005

Sunday.... it's October now. Hard for me to believe. wow...

We had a miraculously dry day today and I pulled all the workers from the cabin plus friends to move furniture. We got the (infamous) couch moved along with all the heavy book cases, art pieces, etc.... and the cabin is definitely loaded!! All that is left in the apartment is a bed, tv, couple computers and my bathroom junk. Whew... it's doable now. The owner of the house flew over from Maui but rented me the place for another week so I can recover.

The incredible mud caused us to take four hours for three truckloads and the experience was reminiscent of the Keystone cops! I personally fell into a foot deep mudhole, fell to my back and was in mud slop from my shoulders to ankles. I did manage, however, to save the couch cushion I was carrying from hitting the mud so all in all it was a great success.

The cabin is having a composting toilet created and built on the spot by a really talented man, Theo Lupien. The workers have three walls framed out so it's more than half way in... couple days and a few more supplies and we are there Smile Bill got the bath tub installed in the greenhouse bathing house (yep, it's pretty much outdoors) and Billy has the entire floor tiled with cool tile we got through Freecycling. The electricians have miraculously run the hot electric line in the underground trench right past the cabin, so in 48 hours we should have the cabin on full power. Tomorrow I shop for the tankless waterheater, pump, pressure tank and refrigerator. Money money money... yikes.. but living will be good.

Again, thanks to my many friends, old and new, for their continuous support during this most recent complication in the process. I love you guys!!!!

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 10-06-2005

This is the last night I will spend in my rental. This is the last night I will be online for a couple of weeks also. Tomorrow we move the last of my belongings, including my bed, to the cabin and I am off on the next leg of the adventure. Not everything there is finished, but thanks to wonderful friends, much IS, and the rest is in the works.

We have power there now, so I bought a refrigerator today. It seems to be working fine after the hours it took to move it up 500 yards in the foot deep mud. Wooo hooo... what an adventure! We also have a pump and pressure tank that should be installed in the next few days. Until then, water pressure is weak gravity flow, but running none the less. I am still in search of the appropriate tankless water heater and will head down to J&J's hardware in Hilo for a look see. Cold showers till I buy one so it should be quick! LOL

My land line phone will be unavailable for a couple of weeks, mostly due to my own poor planning. I should have had the number transfer to the new location scheduled weeks ago, but didn't get to it in time.

The electrician laying the underground cable is giving me a spin and we won't have cable or phone wire run for a while yet. Just another adventure. Hubby is arriving Mid-Octover and he is bringing me a new cell phone with some new technology that will allow me to hook up online via the wireless so I will be back then.

Until I have the chance to meet you all online, I hope you will continue to feel free to come visit the ranch. The progress on the house is pretty amazing. Mella L and her hubby came by today and saw how many changes are in effect over the last 6 months or so. It was a pleasure to share the adventure with them as it iwll be to share it with you!!

We are planning the Topping Off party and Blessing for October 22 so hopefully you will be on island and be able to join us for this wonderful event. RSVP 345-8440 during the week before if possible. There will be a full size pig in the Imu and lots of other fun surprises.

Aloha and Mahalo to you all. Back in a few weeks. Pam

RE: Relocating to Puna - solarguy - 10-11-2005

Greetings!

I suppose when you get this, it will be too late, but I'm very surprised you haven't installed (or even considered?) a solar water heater. A tankless is better than a tank for efficiency, but a solar water heater is the best of all. The only question is if you have any solar (South) exposure to your roof or nearby.

I put in a solar hot water system here in Encinitas CA last March, and I finally just turned off the gas to our water heater a couple of months ago because we didn't need it. In Hawaii, you should almost never need backup. By the way, our gas bills since I turned off the pilot light have been $1.77 and $2.58 (down from around $10). It's surprising how much a little flame like that uses.

If you're interested, check out www.butlersunsolutions.com for a simple and low-cost system produced by a friend of mine. A kit containing everything you would need (collectors, pumps, heat exchanger, piping, etc) except a water tank (it is designed for retrofit, so most people already have a tank -- it has to have something to heat up) sells for $2700. Finally, be aware that some tankless systems are not designed to work with preheated water.

Take care. I'm afraid we are living in interesting times...

Roger D.

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 10-30-2005

I am at a neighbors visiting and using their iinternet connection, so thought I would take the time to pop in. Now moved into the cabin on the poperty, life has become a more wonderful adventure. Rain has not stopped for a couple months now and we are in mud up to our okole's. However, we have managed to put in a small pump, paloma heater, outdoor shower and a composting toilet. Nearly all the comforts one could ask fo Smile.

The house is amazing. Roof is going up this week. Windows are nearly all in and so are most of the french doors (4 sets!!). It feels a little overwhelming these days. Lamont Mansion is the nickname... can't wait for more of you to come by and see it. We have received alots of good ideas from you all iover time.

We have postponed the Luau/roast pig because of the torrential rain. It is just not realistic for visitors at this time.

Hubby visited for only two weeks this last month. He says it was definitely NOT long enough. He will be back for Xmas but aghain only for about 10 days. Guess this is a good motivator for him to finish up paperwork with Hawaii and get his retirement in order for his final arrival in July.

We have been through a lot of toads but have found a few wonderful prince's for building. Things are moving along well. We have certainly learned a lot. I hope to continue to hear from you all and I will be back on regularly in a few weeks or less.

Hugs...Smiles... Pam

RE: Relocating to Puna - pslamont - 11-07-2005

I am BACK!!! Finally after so very many issues, I am back online. You will have to come by to see me to hear of the crazy adventures of the last month, but suffice it to say, one learns PATIENCE in Hawaii or one goes crazy.

Good news : Despite so very many delays, the roof is actually on the house and the walls are up. Plumber starts this week, then the electricians. Wwow... looks like we are in the house by Feb 1. That will be a surprise for Hubby who doesn't know that yet.

Hope to begin go hear from many of you soon. Would love to keep sharing the adventure if you are interested.

Aloha. Pam