Punaweb Forum
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition (/showthread.php?tid=15831)

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - kalakoa - 05-05-2015

they'll be paying tax like everyone else

That revenue will be diverted away from Puna, same as it is now.

don't see any downsides to getting some more well-educated people here

Agreed, provided they actually stay long enough to have an impact.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - rainyjim - 05-05-2015

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

...local families will continue to struggle, camp, or squat in and around Puna...needs for local county housing and EBT.

...150 new non-respecting transplants taking the few jobs

Did I miss out on what they were supposed to respect?

Was it the camping or squatting or was it the local county housing or ebt?

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - PaulW - 05-05-2015

They're not even here yet and already they're being accused of not respecting something?

Gypsy, can you please tell us exactly what it is you do want? You seem to be against everything.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Guest - 05-05-2015

Paul, thank you for your contributions. Maybe you do feel its Better to bring more educated people here, than to educate and give local children chances at a successful western way of life, all while raping and destroying the aina or Hawaiian way of living?. I politely want to disagree and say our state of Hawaii sells out to easy and all to often to the highest bidder. In order to help big business and shareholders continue to strive in the 21st century. All the While also working hard towards dividing and keeping island youth behind others around the world, in order to continue to qualify for those wonderful government benefits and earmarked dollars, jmo.

Concerned here that the TMT projects, others(OHA),our state, and universities, promote Economic and racial prejudices by selling or leasing millions of acres of land and natural resources that has no real legal owners today. Most don't know, don't care, or they to would be standing with the warriors today on White mountain, opposing the new unlawful and irrisponsible guardians of maunakea (life) here on planet earth.

No need to continue the blames, projects, lies, and negative ways of western life. Enough is enough, time to heal and listen for many, As to assure quality of life for those to come and to those who have already gone.Jmo ofcourse.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - PaulW - 05-05-2015

Of course I want the local children to be educated and enjoy a successful way of life. But you don't - you're against bringing a $1,400,000,000 scientific investment here that would help do exactly that.

What is it that you actually want? Do you want more handouts? More EBT? More subsidized housing?
Are you only in favor of the telescope if you personally are guaranteed a job?

If you were King, what would you do?

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Tink - 05-05-2015

Why all this "Western" talk? Where is the ancestry of the powers that be that have sold, and continue to sell out? There is no "Western", or "Eastern", it all about greed no matter what ancient lineage has bestowed us that has pillaged the aina, no matter where you may be.

Community begins with Aloha

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-05-2015

working hard towards dividing and keeping island youth behind others around the world

Many of the jobs at the TMT would probably require a college degree, if not a Masters or PhD in a science or math related field. A good high school education and a dedicated, hard working student are both required to provide the foundation for years of study that are necessary to work in the field of astronomy.

Not everyone can afford to send their children to the many private schools in Puna, but what about the gifted and talented programs at the public schools?

I understand a child would have to qualify academically to enroll in the gifted and talented program, but is there a limit as to how many students schools can accept in their program? If not, then the schools can't be held completely responsible for island youth falling behind the rest of the world.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - PunaMauka2 - 05-05-2015

"...working hard towards dividing..."

ironically, that snippet seems to sum up so much of what is messaged in support of this so-called movement.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - shockwave rider - 05-05-2015

HOTPE:
"Not everyone can afford to send their children to the many private schools in Puna, but what about the gifted and talented programs at the public schools?"

What "many" private schools in Puna are you referring to?
There is Christian Liberty and Malamalama Waldorf, the Montesori school closed and Kamehameha is limited to those with Hawaiian ancestry, so I just don't perceive there being "many" private schools in Puna. The charter schools are public schools and I am pretty sure the only public school in Puna with any TAG (talented and gifted) programs is HAAS. At the HS level, Keaau has AP and honors classes, but until then really bright children are on their own.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-05-2015

What "many" private schools in Puna are you referring to?

Perhaps I should have said "to the private schools in East Hawaii" or "to the private schools available to students from Puna."
I don't know how many private schools we have in East Hawaii, but maybe as many or more private as public? Enough to provide options for parents and students.