Punaweb Forum
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition (/showthread.php?tid=15831)

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - shockwave rider - 05-05-2015

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

What "many" private schools in Puna are you referring to?

Perhaps I should have said "to the private schools in East Hawaii" or "to the private schools available to students from Puna."
I don't know how many private schools we have in East Hawaii, but maybe as many or more private as public? Enough to provide options for parents and students.

There are very, very few private schools here: St. Josephs K-12 catholic school, HPA, very expensive private boarding school in Waimea, mostly off island overseas students, Christian Liberty in Keaau, I think they are K-8, Malamalama Waldorf in HPP, K-8 and Kamehameha Schools IF your child is of Hawaiian ancestry. I think there is 1 private school on the Kona side, but they were possibly closing.

Probably less than 5% of the East Hawaii K-12 students attend private schools, these schools are all very small and all cost a minimum of $5000 a year.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Guest - 05-05-2015

Being that a few have asked questions following another one of my social media rants, I feel like continuing my new found gentle way of handling things and will try and answer.

The first one from Paul, if I were king now what would I Do?. Well I figure you mean this question to be about jobs, or the spending of 1.4 billion? Local people need more jobs that pay now and employ almost all local, for example restaurants. 10 more quality restaurants like Kaleo's would employ and service this part of the island better than the TMT project. Hotels employ almost all locally as well as offer insurance and future generation benifits that the current local few restaurant's may not be legally?. Walmart and McDonalds do hire many locally, but they also take away many jobs. More importantly these large businesses hurt young and old peoples dreams or chances of starting their own smaller business closer to home. Then you have the business like TMT projects? Promises, contracts, lots of money. Yet no real sustaining jobs for our local high school seniors today or tomorrow.
If I were king I would except the united states of Americas apology for the misunderstanding of LAW. I Would of course keep my nature of excepting their bundle of future coins or prosperity bills. Build places local people can go to work again, Build homes for local families to live and work on more locally owned land. Tourism and agriculture would continue behind self-suffientcy, equal opportunity, and making sure all from this land, Have land, a smile, and place to call Hawaii Home. Of course easy said, never done.

Frank your question slid by me at first and has me still contemplating. I figure the movement or awakening from the many lies, secrets, and wrongs is taking place now due in part to higher education and better understandings of laws, promises, and trusts. As These protectors or warriors today are standing on maunakea, they are standing for more than maunakea, much much more. Kam, bishop, oha, because of their past choices, money and actions taken. They are hearing louder voices and footsteps from atop maunakea today than they would in front of their rarely used air-conditioned homes and offices, they are being gracious enough to listen now to who they need to be representing, so I am hopeful. Good questions none the less, thanks. Sorry I could not answer them better with a much shorter reply.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-05-2015

There are very, very few private schools here:
I think there is 1 private school on the Kona side, but they were possibly closing.

I don't really want to extend a discussion about whether there are a few, enough, or many private schools on the Big Island, so this will be my last post on the subject. It does appear a child can get a good start in life educated on the Big Island, which will allow them to continue their studies in college and perhaps obtain an advanced degree. Then if they choose, return here qualified to work in astronomy at one of the observatories.
This following list is for private schools only, and does not include charter schools:

Christian Liberty Academy
Keaau, HI
E Maka'ala School
Hilo, HI
Haili Christian School
Hilo, HI
Hawai'i Montessori Schools - Kamuela Campus
Kamuela, HI
Hawai'i Montessori Schools - Kona Campus
Kailua-Kona, HI
Hawaii Preparatory Academy
Kamuela, HI
Kamehameha Schools Hawai'i
Keaau, HI
Kohala Mission School
Hawi, HI
Kona Adventist Christian School
Captain Cook, HI
Makua Lani Christian Academy-Lower Campus
Kailua-Kona, HI
Makua Lani Christian Academy - Upper Campus
Holualoa, HI
Malamalama Waldorf School
Keaau, HI
Mauna Loa School
Hilo, HI
Parker School
Kamuela, HI
St. Joseph School
Hilo, HI
Waimea Country School
Kamuela, HI

http://www.hais.org/pages/42425_Find_a_School.asp?pass=2&type=criteria

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Frank - 05-05-2015

@ gypsy...Frank your question slid by me at first and has me still contemplating. I figure the movement or awakening from the many lies, secrets, and wrongs is taking place now due in part to higher education and better understandings of laws, promises, and trusts. As These protectors or warriors today are standing on maunakea, they are standing for more than maunakea, much much more. Kam, bishop, oha, because of their past choices, money and actions taken. They are hearing louder voices and footsteps from atop maunakea today than they would in front of their rarely used air-conditioned homes and offices, they are being gracious enough to listen now to who they need to be representing, so I am hopeful. Good questions none the less, thanks. Sorry I could not answer them better with a much shorter reply.

Frank...mahalo gypsy, contemplation may lead to the conclusion that in fact there is plenty of money controlled by Bishop Estate to educate all hawaiian children and there is enough land controlled by DHHL to house all hawaiian families thus paving the way for advancement of this beautiful people. aloha

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - PaulW - 05-05-2015

"10 more quality restaurants like Kaleo's would employ and service this part of the island better than the TMT project."

I think you don't realize something. Without the telescope there is no $1,400,000,000.
It's not an amount that's yours to be spent on something else, like 10 restaurants. As King, you would
have to cut something else (or raise taxes) in order to pay for those restaurants.

What a glorious future for the children of Hawaii, working for tips in government-run restaurants.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - rainyjim - 05-05-2015

Maybe we can just get state jobs for them with other commiserate to police salaries. While we're at it lets give them all $600 dollar vehicle allowances as well. Last of all, but equally important let's make a color coded armband system that indicated how long you've lived in Hawai'i. If you go out without your armband you're thrown off the cliffs into the ocean, but if you manage to swim to the place of refuge then you're okay and automatically ascend to specia rasta color armband status.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 05-05-2015

Gypsy69,

I'm afraid I am completely baffled by the logic in your last post. Let me try and explain things as simply as I can because I think you do not understand the situation regarding the $1.4 billion.

The funding for the TMT project comes from several governments, research councils, universities etc. This is money already set aside for scientific research and education. That money will not come here if the TMT is not built here. If that happens, the money will be spent on building the TMT elsewhere, or in my opinion, more likely spent on other scientific projects elsewhere, and almost certainly not here. The Big Island will lose the high-paid job opportunities the project will bring along with all the educational benefits the TMT will bring. The TMT has made clear its commitments to education and jobs for locals.

If, on the other hand, you aspire to work as a low-paid server at a restaurant, clean hotel rooms or cook burgers, whether the TMT is built here or not makes no difference at all. The money required to build restaurants, hotels or fast food joints has to come from elsewhere no matter what. So if you want more of those jobs, fine, but you'll have to lobby your representatives to find the money to make that happen or make conditions here more attractive to businesses and entrepreneurs. If the TMT backs out, I hardly think those sort of people will view starting new businesses here very favorably.

Finally, Kalakoa, before you deem to tell us where Puna really starts and ends, several observatory staff live in the Kalapana and Kapoho area as well as Pahoa. However, I have no idea if any of those places are in Puna either.

If, on the other hand, you aspire to work as a low-paid server at a restaurant, clean hotel rooms or cook burgers, whether the TMT is built here or not makes no difference at all.

I don't know Tom, did you think to factor in that servers, maids, and cooks worship very tall piles of sacred basalt?

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 05-05-2015

Rainyjim, I think it best we don't go down that route.

You are probably right, perhaps my filter needs adjusting.