Punaweb Forum
Discoveries using the telescopes on Mauna Kea - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Discoveries using the telescopes on Mauna Kea (/showthread.php?tid=17412)

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - pahoated - 09-15-2016

Bouncing between Tommy-boy and Guy-on-the-psycho-edge, things get confused very quickly, and it usually isn't worth the response time.

Briefly, most of these early universe discoveries are first being made by Hubble and Kepler. The discovery is turned over to the Mauna Kea observatories for official confirmation, usually with much deeper imaging leading to significant information. There is a lot of glory-hounding going on with the Mauna Kea observatories because the simple fact is astronomy depends on marketing. So, the press releases are Keck Discovers Distant Galaxy. The fact the dim-bulbs don't get is that doesn't result in the whole industry for Hawaii island promised in the 60's. The observatories that are already there are just fine. The two rage-blind boys can't ever seem to read that.

Just pointing out the fact, the observatories aren't some gigantic source of employment or educational improvement. Telescopes are data acquisition devices, the better the location, the better the output. There is a considerable shrinking going on, meaning space telescopes will be possible in the hundreds, not tomorrow, not next week, not next month, not next year, but within the next 5 to 10 years. And UHH is poised to benefit from them much more than another ground based observatory.

*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - SBH - 09-15-2016

Thanks Tom, I enjoy learning about the science happening on Mauna Kea.

I just wish we could have an ignore button on PW to not have to see the negative postings from certain trolls, getting really old.

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - kalakoa - 09-15-2016

the observatories aren't some gigantic source of employment or educational improvement.

I'll just point out (again) that they do create more than zero jobs.

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - TomK - 09-15-2016

When you see a paragraph started with a sentence such as "Briefly, most of these early universe discoveries are first being made by Hubble and Kepler.", you know the author doesn't know what he's talking about and the rest of the message isn't worth the effort to read.

Kepler is designed to detect exoplanets. Its mission has nothing to do with the early universe.

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - Guest - 09-15-2016

"When you see a paragraph started with a sentence such as "Briefly, most of these early universe discoveries are first being made by Hubble and Kepler.", you know the author doesn't know what he's talking about and the rest of the message isn't worth the effort to read." - TomK

LOL, and you all want to vilify and "dissect the minutiae" of me calling out the resident grammar cop and its "nonsense" > if-you-don't-agree-with-me bully.

Just look at above post with an open mind. Yeah, trying to keep it puna and not draw analogies to what is happening on the national stage.

"Punaweb has many diverse topics on which you may contribute your opinion or expertise. There is nothing in the rules that says you need to fill in all of the blanks or correct others in red ink." HOTPE ...

Exactly. Like it or not, I'm merely pointing out the tenured hypocrisy that comes up.

"Exactly. Like it or not, I'm merely pointing out the tenured hypocrisy that comes up."

So are you saying pahoated is correct when he says Kepler has been studying the early universe, or are people not allowed to point out the nonsense both you and he post regarding scientific work being carried out on this island?

Keep reaching for the stars tomK and I don't speak for Ted nor should you.

I'm not speaking for pahoated, I was pointing out his nonsense as well as yours. Do you have a problem if this thread could return to discoveries made by MK observatories? In case you haven't noticed, you are the one making personal attacks and disrupting the thread. Others, including myself, have pointed out the nonsense one or two people have posted here. Big difference. I hope that one day you will understand that distinction.

RE: Discoveries by the telescopes on Mauna Kea - PaulW - 09-15-2016

Maybe you could start another thread, "why I dislike educated people" (but be sure to keep it Puna) and leave this thread to the amazing work being done thanks to our fantastic telescopes. We should take more pride in them and their unparalleled location.

"personal" is your overreacting and lashing out projection tomK. I don't even know you.

Maybe you should let other people have they opinions, agree to disagree and not feel such an urgent need to "correct" everything and / or label it " nonsense " just because they opinion does not fit with your own.

I feel this mindset would go a long way for you in this world.