Punaweb Forum
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition (/showthread.php?tid=15831)

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 05-05-2015

Although I do believe an exception should be made when it comes to astrology. [Wink]

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - beepbeep - 05-05-2015

What would Hawaii's first 21st century ruler do about the economic problems kicking out the U.S. would cause? As it is, I am concerned there might be economic fallout from reneging on the TMT agreement, should that happen. If your word isn't good after seven years of negotiation then who in heaven's name would want to contract with you? I hope no lawsuits result from spitting on this agreement, as an aside. I just wish we had the right kind of site for telescopes right here where I live. We would love education money and well-paying jobs and just the thrill of having portals to the discoveries our ancestors could never even dreamed of right here. Bring it on...if only. Poor Mauna Kea, to put out her eyes.

Pam in CA
May is Lupus Awareness Month

Tom, I meant that no silly thing should be used to discriminate against people...or maybe you are saying astrology isn't silly? Cool Wink

Pam in CA

Restaurants...I suppose if you allowed your TMT money to come to you, instead of rejecting it, the ripple effect caused by the money entering the economy could end up with some restaurant creation, if eating out is a really high priority on the island...never thought anyone would want to try and measure The Restaurant Effect but I guess you never know Smile

Pam in CA

I would spend all my money to cure a loved one from a terrible disease, if the cure would actually work...oh, and if I had any money. And this means...?

Pam in CA

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 05-05-2015

I think dakine is saying he would spend all his money to save Mauna Kea just as he would a loved one, or others will (perhaps not dakine's own money, just someone else's money). So let's see if he will actually do this. If not, how many other MK protesters will spend all their money to do the same?

I suspect few, if any, but I'm sure dakine will keep us updated.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - rainyjim - 05-06-2015

The consequences list as follows:

Some live there lives with fanciful fantasies about how a more 'perfect' world might / would have / could have been.

And others make do with what actually IS.

I think another way to look at it is some live in the past of the future while others live in the present.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - ironyak - 05-06-2015

Originally posted by rainyjim
some live in the past of the future while others live in the present.

I live in the past of the future and call it the present. All fits together pretty well. (fun with typos)

Professor Chang's discussion on the notion of sacred is compelling, but his discussion of the annexation issue doesn't address some of the known counter-points. I wonder if PBS or someone could get all these learned individuals together to hash this out and actually reply to each other's views. Would be must see TV IMHO.

ETA: PBS discussion in 2013 of sovereignty issue, but no "cross-fire" about the annexation debate
https://youtu.be/ViQWXH-nVtA

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - rainyjim - 05-06-2015

I'm sure it would fit in right between the save the pink unicorns and my conform to my beliefs that may not be your own sections.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - PaulW - 05-06-2015

Sorry dakine, I have neither the time nor inclination to read 59 pages of testimony on either side of the debate.
One should be able to get the point across within 10 pages or so.

It didn't help that the part you chose to quote had to do with saving kittens from house fires. I have the Hallmark Channel.

Since your views on Mauna Kea coincide with his I'm sure you read each of the 59 pages with rapturous devotion, whereas if he had taken an opposite standpoint you would be telling him to "shut up and go back to wherever it is he came from".

It's unlikely Prof Chang and his loved ones and pets would meet your racial purity guidelines so I think the last thing he would want is for you to implement your particular future for Hawaii. He's probably spend all of his money trying to stop you.