Punaweb Forum
S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th (/showthread.php?tid=6893)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Akahai - 03-05-2010

Good Question Bob.

Village Center designation seems like allowing possibility of more commercial endeavors than any SUP can provide. No need to rezone. Is this really the answer.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Bob Orts - 03-05-2010

quote:
Originally posted by terry.way

I don't think you have to worry about corporate burger joints opening up any time soon.
Burger Kings and such are not corporate stores, they are "local businesses" that may even be owned by your next door neighbor.

But, you didn't address the issue. Moving for village center designation does not apply only to SPACE, it applies to an area and that area can be floating. So once that door is open, how do you propose capping it to only SPACE and no other property?

What is there to stop someone from asking to be included in the Village Center designation, and turn around and lease the land to WalMart or a McDonalds?

quote:
Originally posted by Akahai

Village Center designation seems like allowing possibility of more commercial endeavors than any SUP can provide. No need to rezone. Is this really the answer.
I'm not sure many people understand what the village center designation is and what it means overall.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - StillHope - 03-05-2010

Terry,you sound like an open minded decent person .
No one here is disputing all good stuff about SPACE.
I believe that the noise doesn't bother you.

But as a decent person you have to believe that it could be unbearable
for a "hypothetical" physically ill person (I call it hypothetical on Rob's request) or for many other people?

(Let's leave peregrine out of it for now !)

Can you honestly say that "Village" status eliminates the noise?

Does anyone with "Village idea" even care?

I mean REALLY?

No PR stuff,please!!

If it's not a buffer zone,

How the the noise and other crowd related issues are going to be dealt with by SPACE (or whatever it might be called later)?

Or Bob Orts is right and it will become about whose lawyers are better?

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - terry.way - 03-05-2010

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts
Burger Kings and such are not corporate stores, they are "local businesses" that may even be owned by your next door neighbor.
Yeah, I know that. It's one of my pet peeves, myself: demonizing others like that. My bad.

Addressing the issue: I have this idea that village centers are discussed: "Impact on community quality of life" and "Commercial zoning for village centers should be allocated based on the goals of the community, population and general criteria in III.B." I think we're reading the same documents, but coming away impressed with different parts. I read "community" and you read "Ace hardware."

quote:
So once that door is open, how do you propose capping it to only SPACE and no other property?
Community input? I dunno.

quote:
What is there to stop someone from asking to be included in the Village Center designation, and turn around and lease the land to WalMart or a McDonalds?
Same? Community input.

I think if a community wants a Burger King, let them have a Burger King. Seaview probably doesn't want that. We're going to find out. Come to the meeting!

I feel: we're frogs in the pot of water, slowly coming to a boil. We accept driving all the way to Hilo to big box stores, Hi-lo: Go in Hi, come out Lo. Heck, Pahoa is already half-way to Hilo, so let's go all the way in and save some money. We deal with the traffic, we blow through Pahoa and Kea'au, and stores run by our neighbors. And *all* of our lives are suffering as a result of it.

And then we come home, with illusions of having a house on the frontier, no neighbors for miles.

And we don't connect the dots.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Akahai - 03-05-2010

This is why I posted the village center description. It is a different animal than a SUP with more possibility of impact on the surrounding community. I wonder how many people at the upcoming meeting will know what the Village Center Designation means or have even heard of it. Lets see how it is presented to us.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - terry.way - 03-05-2010

quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

No PR stuff,please!!

If it's not a buffer zone,

How the the noise and other crowd related issues are going to be dealt with by SPACE (or whatever it might be called later)?

Or Bob Orts is right and it will become about whose lawyers are better?

Maybe a good place to start would be to request that SPACE doesn't do performances and accept a compromise that limits the performances, or whatever.

Maybe extract guarantees about parking. Maybe participate in the solution: carpool and volunteer drivers shuttling people to SPACE.

The Cease and Desist order arrived, apparently. Clan Dyken, scheduled to perform, is not performing at SPACE. Instead, he's performing down the road. They're not zoned for it either! Way to go! The bump in the carpet keeps popping up! Push it down here and it comes up over there. I'm sure they have stoic neighbors that refrain from complaining as well.

And I hope it's not about whose lawyers are better. It may very well depend on a pro-bono lawyer that's motivated to help good people.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - missydog1 - 03-05-2010

>>> Hi-lo: Go in Hi, come out Lo.

Personally it rubs me the wrong way to hear Hawaiian place names turned into jokes. I don't think people would like it if I made Puna into something derogatory and posted it. Just saying.

Thank you,Terry.
Fair enough.
Let's hope for the best - a compromise that let people have peace in their own home.

RE: S.P.A.C.E. Community Meeting - March 6th - Greg - 03-05-2010

Quote:" I don't think people would like it if I made Puna into something derogatory and posted it. "

Yes, There is no Pun in Puna!
[Wink]

Stoneface