Punaweb Forum
crazy road construction on 130 - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: crazy road construction on 130 (/showthread.php?tid=11845)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - EightFingers - 05-02-2013

Maybe one of the problems is speeding. While driving into Hilo, there was a construction (work) zone where everyone was going 15 mph over the temporary limit. I kept it to 5 over, but then I got tailgaters and some dirty looks as I was passed. Does anyone ever get pulled over for speeding in work zones?

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - rainshadow - 05-02-2013

quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Pog - understand what you are saying but the amateurish planning and disregard for motorists' safety that is currently occurring on hwy 11 is inexcusable.

. . . inept way the work is being done and the ill-thought-out signage, or lack of it.

. . . whoever is in charge of the work. They are utterly incompetent.

This is right on target. The people in charge should definitely be fired. Further, living here a long time does not qualify a person to have to put up with this lame@$$ approach to traffic construction. Nor does it qualify the people doing it, to be able to do it.

I'm bringing my video camera along next time. Unfortunately, pog, there may be more families that need feeding in the future, if this crap keeps up. It's peoples lives. Not their dinners.

-- rainshadow

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - punaticbychoice - 05-02-2013

Whatever you all, but this is a State of Hawaii Administration problem.
It ultimately and directly belongs to Neil Abercrombie and his appointees.
Pound the Gov's office for a solution.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - malolo - 05-02-2013

...and on a related note, this was in today's Star Advertiser:

Hawaii County police are investigating a road rage incident that occurred this week that led to a person throwing objects at the victim’s car and forcing it off Highway 130 near Keeau.

Police are seeking witnesses or any information about the incident that occurred around 6:45 p.m. Monday.

The incident occurred after a traffic dispute when the driver of a blue Honda sedan hurled objects at the victim’s car and forced it onto the shoulder of Highway 130 near the 4-mile marker. The suspect then reached into the victim’s vehicle and assaulted him.

Police have initiated an unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle case.

The victim was driving a Champagne-colored Honda sedan and heading toward Pahoa.

Anyone who witnessed this incident or who has any information about this case is asked to call officer Jenny Lee at (808) 965-2716 or the Police Department’s non-emergency line at (808) 935-3311.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at (808) 961-8300 in Hilo or (808) 329-8181 in Kona. All Crime Stoppers information is kept confidential.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - TomK - 05-02-2013

Well, I have to admit that this morning driving into Hilo on H-11 the signs were perfect. For a change there were warning signs placed well in advance and they actually described what to expect. Quite remarkable! Whoever was on shift this morning knew what they were doing, at least when I drove in. The only issue I could see during the mile or so of coned-off highway was no-one actually doing anything, in fact no-one was there, but that's a minor point and something I've seen everywhere else. I'm sure the actual work started later, but as for the signage I hope this is how things will continue.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - nana valley - 05-02-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Once the widening of Hwy. 130 begins it is expected to take eight years to complete. Get ready for some real driving fun.

I feel for commuters who have to work in Hilo! I'm not considered "local" and I am suspecting there are those who don't want the people moving into the Puna subdivisions so they are making conditions almost frightening and dangerous to keep us mainlanders kapu!
Worst DOT construction I have ever seen in any of the 35 states I have driven. Not looking forward for 8 yrs. of this crap. [Sad!]

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - pahoated - 05-19-2013

Going into town the other day, watching the roadwork cleanup that was going on, I saw something that was a revelation. There was a crew pulling up the crazy wavy lines. It wasn't paint, it was like some kind of tape. Then beside that, there were a series of dotted white lines that were much more straight, kind of a guide for the actual painting of the stripes.

While being an advocate of leaving mainland stuff on the mainland, this is a case where mainland technology is needed. On the mainland, there is new road equipment that I watched up by the Tacoma bridge before I left. There is a big ripper that grinds out the old pavement, followed by some improved asphalt spreader, then rollers followed by some computer controlled stripe painter. The stretch on 11 would take about 3 days with this equipment.

This is the reason for the whacked out roadwork here. They are using very outdated equipment that is extremely manually intensive. It might be by intent, keep it manually intensive for the jobs, or that the scale of road work isn't cost effective to invest in all new road equipment or just that the state DOT doesn't have the funds. Anyway, it explains a lot and is going to explain the Hwy 130 widening that is going to commence soon.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-19-2013

I think most of the road construction is done by private companies, who bid on the contract. The DOT only puts the contracts out for bid. It's up to the private companies to buy new equipment and put it to use. I was at airport cargo last year and
a guy came in to pick up the machine that paints the lines on the highway. It was shipped in from Kauai, because, apparently it was cheaper to ship it where it's needed, than to have one paint machine on each island.

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - Guest - 05-19-2013

quote:
Originally posted by pog

There is always a shoe on the side of the road when someone gets hit ... But guess what, unless suicidal, that guy is NOT standing in front of the car of the confused driver who should have slowed or even stopped in order to responsibly and safely navigated their vehicle for given conditions instead of simply plowing into the guy 'cause they were unsure where to go and then 'blaming' some lines or lack of them.

KEN ...FYI... Our cars are NOT on rails nor do we drive by keeping eyes on lines. If a person in front of you in say a parking lot, do you look for the line around him / her or react accordingly for the situation ?

POG ... FYI..... Poorly marked construction zone and 1 normally drunk Puna driver....

What you think outcome be????

I am in Illinois right now. Numerous major construction on I-294 toll way. Very clear direct no mistake possible markings. Yet signs up everywhere that say:

"Hit a road worker - $10,000 fine and 4 years in jail."

RE: crazy road construction on 130 - gogould - 05-19-2013

I will be coming to visit soon and I will be behind the wheel probably enjoying the heck out the cool island music I love so much and looking around going Wow this ain't nuthing like Alaska!
Up here we have tourists come to a complete stop in the road to look at a moose or a sheep or who knows wtf, I promise not to do that. We do have a tendency to assume that is a tourist and refrain from yanking them out of their champagne colored rental car and beating the crap out of them. Not that the thought doesn't happen....
In Manila in a scene like Unknown describes someone would set up a cart in the middle of the chaos and start selling those sweet little pineapples. My future father in law has nerves of steel driving around that place. Not taking sides or any of that just the key to Manila traffic working is the speed they drive is just right, and everyone is hyperalert and relatively good natured while drivinging along with millions of others in a city in with about 5 stoplights. Amazing. If you are out of sync with it whoa your life is cheaper than a Sunday smile. Naw they are amazing looking out even for dumba**.
I am looking forward to being there driving in Puna please have mercy on me being a little slow to figure out the road.