Punaweb Forum
Long term airport parking has gone up - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Long term airport parking has gone up (/showthread.php?tid=16903)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - Obie - 02-17-2016

Teslas and all electric vehicles with a charging plug can park for free at Hawaii airports.There is a $7.00 fee if you need to hook up to a charger.

"Parking stalls reserved for use by electric vehicles are available in the main public parking lot.

The main public parking lot also includes an electric vehicle charging station which can provide service to two vehicles. The current charge for use of the electric vehicle charging station is $7.00 for 24 hours.

An electric vehicle on which an electric vehicle license plate is affixed is exempt from payment of parking fees."

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - macuu222 - 02-17-2016

That's good news for Hilo Airport when I book a United flight....but I have been flying out of Kona lately (have lots of Alaska Airlines miles)Any places to cheaply park on that side? Last few times I've asked friends and neighbors to drive me over (usually coordinating it with their once every few months trip to Cosco), But that's getting old. I could take the bus but it would be a long (12 to 18 hour) ordeal each way from Puna till the plane leaves close to midnight. Lots of walking also

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - Loretta - 02-17-2016

We have rented a car at the airport location from some of the majors...Alamo, Budget, etc. This works especially well if you have to return the car before the car rental counters open in the morning. They all have a drop box for the keys right there. Then, just a short walk across the street to check-in for that early morning flt. to HNL.

macuu222...you could also rent a car in Hilo and return it in Kona. The car rental companies can and will eliminate the drop charge if you negotiate nicely when booking. Of course, it all depends on how busy they are at that particular time.

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - beejee - 02-17-2016

$15 a day is pretty steep if you ask me. If anything, the rate hike will motivate alternate more creative solutions to the problem in my opinion.

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - bluesboy - 02-17-2016

get a friend to drop you off, and give you them $50 each way. they'll be lining up to take you to the airport.

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - pahoated - 02-17-2016

Summon is already a feature of Model S. Model X will have more expanded Summon capability.
https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/summon-your-tesla-your-phone

Uber is just social media taxis, their days are numbered. As far as the Hilo airport goes, most people that make long term travel plans don't use the airport for long term parking, and the volume for people parking a day or two to the other islands is higher. $30 for two days is still cheaper than paying somebody $50 to drive you there plus coming back to the convenience of your car being there, not having to wait for it.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - ericlp - 02-17-2016

hmmm, I find it's better to leave the car at home... have reliable friends take you... or the bus now goes down to the airport (cheapest way to go)...

Tho, it's an added benefit to leave your car at home! Makes it look like someone is at home.

I always thought that there could be a business for someone with a nice reliable van that could just do runs to Puna from ITO hilo airport. Tho, you'd would eventually have to figure out a way to do it commercially to stay legal if you got big enough.

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - terracore - 02-17-2016

quote:
Originally posted by macuu222

That's good news for Hilo Airport when I book a United flight....but I have been flying out of Kona lately (have lots of Alaska Airlines miles)Any places to cheaply park on that side? Last few times I've asked friends and neighbors to drive me over (usually coordinating it with their once every few months trip to Cosco), But that's getting old. I could take the bus but it would be a long (12 to 18 hour) ordeal each way from Puna till the plane leaves close to midnight. Lots of walking also

I plugged a random date into Orbitz and found you can get a one-way car rental from Hilo to Kona for $66 (includes taxes etc). I plugged in another random date and it was $150.

So if you plan ahead, a few one-way rentals might be the way to go.

I'm hoping now that Island Air has been resurrected they will return to the Big Island including their service between ITO and KOA. If I remember right their fares were $29 each way.

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - Bullwinkle - 02-18-2016

begs the question: Has anyone on the forum used uber or lyft to get to the airport?

Im curious to see what alternatives there are to expensive taxi services

RE: Long term airport parking has gone up - leilanidude - 02-18-2016

I plugged a random date into Orbitz and found you can get a one-way car rental from Hilo to Kona for $66 (includes taxes etc). I plugged in another random date and it was $150.
---------
Call the non-airport Enterprise location directly. Orbitz fees are the extra costs. I generally get one for about $35 or so.