Punaweb Forum
New Malama Market in Pahoa - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New Malama Market in Pahoa (/showthread.php?tid=17155)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - kalakoa - 04-28-2016

how this would cause any more congestion than there is now

Simple: the new shopping center will add nine acres of commercial-zoned real estate; permit application specifically mentions a restaurant in addition to the retail uses.

Increasing the number of vehicle trips over the same available roads will result in congestion.

It's just a matter of time before the parcel between old-Malama and new-Malama goes up for development -- virtually guaranteed, once it's surrounded by C zoning.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - 2liveque - 04-28-2016

Complain, complain, complain.

And so is the life of internet surfin' Punatics.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

I look forward to this greatly expanded Malama Market. And yes, they will be a full service, "real" supermarket. And they won't be the last one either. More will come. It really don't matter what you complainers think -- PUNA IS and will continue to grow in the years to come. The Puna many of you hope for will no longer exist. Move now if you can't read the writing on the wall.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - kalakoa - 04-28-2016

Complain, complain, complain.

Good point -- neither County, nor State, nor the developers actually care about the problems they create, so clearly it's a waste of time to bother even noticing these issues.

PUNA IS and will continue to grow in the years to come.

Puna's growth will be constrained by the available transportation infrastructure -- maybe when people are tired of sitting in traffic, we can revisit exactly what "growth" means.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - Obie - 04-28-2016

" maybe when people are tired of sitting in traffic, we can revisit exactly what "growth" means."

Why will everyone be sitting in traffic ? Only those who move way out in Puna and commute to Hilo everyday will be sitting in traffic.

I will be happy shopping in Pahoa and will pay higher prices to avoid driving to hilo and sitting in traffic.

I thought you lived in Hawaiian Acres ! Why would you be concerned with traffic in Pahoa ?

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - 2liveque - 04-28-2016

Growth is assured...with or without traffic issues or alternative routes. Still the most "affordable" area in the state. As folks get priced out of Oahu, Maui, and Kauai, there will be Puna.

I hope they put a set of Movie Theaters in that "strip" mall.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - kalakoa - 04-29-2016

Only those who move way out in Puna and commute to Hilo everyday will be sitting in traffic.

Correct -- only those who need to make a living will be penalized. Retirees, trustfunders, and homeless will not be inconvenienced.

Why would you be concerned with traffic in Pahoa ?

Two reasons: 1, it's just a matter of time before the growth pushes mauka (there is already a daily "crawl" where 11 merges to one lane just above Keaau) and 2, neither County nor State appear concerned about solving any of the problems created by a lack of long-term planning, and this will affect the entire district of Puna.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - kalakoa - 04-29-2016

Also (for what it's worth) I sometimes visit one of the many fine dining establishments in downtown Pahoa -- if this becomes infeasible due to traffic congestion, those merchants lose business, and apparently this is not considered a problem.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - shockwave rider - 04-29-2016

There are 3 ways in and out of Pahoa Village, including Post Office Road. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out how to get to the establishment of your choice without dealing with the "congestion." I can't believe people are acting like the sky is falling over a relatively small strip mall and one traffic light.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - Punatic007 - 04-29-2016

An intelligent person observes all angles. The growth and new roads are great, yet to say it bluntly there's also a lot of monkey business going on. Commuting traffic getting backed up to Orchidland with no warning signs has become a frequent event. No police or traffic directing in Pahoa? I know of quite a few folks driving older vehicles that overheated and others who spent time and $$$ on refrigerated and frozen groceries in Hilo only to have them ruined trying to get home to Kapoho.

Retired Puna residents who are traffic control educated and experienced are saying things are amiss. Not one has said this is all great and properly planned as far as I know. Happy people who don't complain unless there is something we should all know. I'm concerned about the width of the lanes of the roundabout and that possibly it was not properly designed and planned.

RE: New Malama Market in Pahoa - Kapoho Joe - 04-29-2016

quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

and others who spent time and $$$ on refrigerated and frozen groceries in Hilo only to have them ruined trying to get home to Kapoho.

A problem that can be easily fixed by bringing a cooler to town.