Punaweb Forum
Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK (/showthread.php?tid=20641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - glinda - 02-06-2019

My question was can you name an island where the inhabitants grow a majority of their food? I can’t.

Nope, I can not. Not that I can say there aren't any, and I imagine there are plenty that do, at least at the family/ohana level if not island wide, just that my exposure is limited.

I find Hawaiians, and other cultures here besides Europeans, to be very productive generating a lot of food. Sheesh the Filipino family next door can turn out an amazing amount of food from a speck of dirt, whereas the mainlanders on the other side have a really nice lawn. And admittedly they come from a culture more interested in using indentured, practically slave, labor for their farming while they build us all the fancy machines someone listed as their contribution to our nourishment.

The original question was would Hawaiians be able to grow their own food if the haoles were gone. And, still, my answer is yes.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Guest - 02-06-2019

Ah yes, subsistance farming. The road to absolutely nowhere!!!

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Rob Tucker - 02-06-2019

Subsistence is a powerful word. It means you can take care of your self.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - snorkle - 02-06-2019

HOPTE asks;

can you name an island where the inhabitants grow a majority of their food? I can’t.

Hawaii; 300 years ago

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Pilgrim - 02-06-2019

For a moment think about it from another perspective, one unhitched from the Mauna Kea hot button issues. What if instead the dirt ski team pulled their caper within HVNP - say maybe over there off the Mauna Loa Trail. If that happened there would be a lot of public outrage because of the potential harm for the environment, damage and disrespect to a beloved place which is part of our public lands, and potentially putting our rescuers at risk if they had had to bail these kids out.

Maybe the more important question to consider from this conversation is: is there really no other way for everyone here in Hawai'i to have food than by allowing ridiculous tourists to do dangerous, potentially destructive and culturally insensitive bs? Did all that dirt skiing really result in anybody here getting groceries?

It reminds me a little of the gal who tried to surf under the lava ocean entry a few years back. And that line about "not from here" is easy to take out of context. If you listen to the woman speaking her point seems to be that they had no clue about their impacts. And yes, we can and should hold them accountable.

Tourism is an important part of the economy but that doesn't mean we have to sell out every place just for a buck or let people do ridiculous crap. They like tourist money at the Louvre but they don't let you pee on the statues and post it on Facebook...Why can't we have dignity and groceries too?

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - PaulW - 02-06-2019

"I find Hawaiians, and other cultures here besides Europeans, to be very productive generating a lot of food."

Any other generalizations about people based on the color of their skin that you wish to share? Be loud and proud!

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 02-06-2019

quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

HOPTE asks;

can you name an island where the inhabitants grow a majority of their food? I can’t.

Hawaii; 300 years ago

Well, yes.
But the question was:
Are "the Hawaiians" going to grow all their own food after they chase "those damn haoles" off their sacred island?
In which case snorkel, your answer would also have to include a Time Machine. Otherwise I believe the question and answer occur in the year 2019 or at an unspecified date in the future after the haoles all leave. Not in the past.

FYI: Even most white people grew all their own food 300 years ago.

“I think your article has been interpreted as that you were OK with dwarf-tossing.” - Sen Mazie Hirono 2/5/19, questioning the qualifications of a judicial nominee, perhaps with empathy for the Menehune, and their historical plight

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Guest - 02-06-2019

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Subsistence is a powerful word. It means you can take care of your self.

Did they make your own PC, too? The point is that specialization is the way forward.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - snorkle - 02-06-2019

Sorry HOTPE, but I answered your question as asked. BTW, our Time travel club is having a meeting at the community center yesterday, and you are invited.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 02-06-2019

Sorry HOTPE, but I answered your question as asked.

I asked:
Can you name a single island or atoll in the ocean where people grow or harvest or fish for a majority of the food they consume?
Present tense.
Past tense (300 years ago) would be ... grew or harvested or fished...

Just like a functional understanding of language
(your comment from the TMT flip flop thread)
Glad you have a Time Travel Club.
It can make everything present tense, right?

“I think your article has been interpreted as that you were OK with dwarf-tossing.” - Sen Mazie Hirono 2/5/19, questioning the qualifications of a judicial nominee, perhaps with empathy for the Menehune, and their historical plight