Punaweb Forum
4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea (/showthread.php?tid=23117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 07-30-2023

It has a diesel engine from a 1979 International Scout. High altitudes aren't really a problem.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-30-2023

(07-30-2023, 08:32 AM)Obie Wrote: It has a diesel engine from a 1979 International Scout. High altitudes aren't really a problem.

Ah, stupid me, I should have assumed the obvious. Wink

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - leilanidude - 08-01-2023

No need for 4wd if you are smart. My friend's 1963 Porsche 356...[attachment=199]

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - HiloJulie - 08-01-2023

I wonder what that car is worth?

I hardly think the term “smart” applies however.

If you know how to drive, smart, it is quite safe. I have taken a 1991 Camry 4 cylinder up, with 3 passengers. Had no issues going up and kept it in 1st gear all the way down.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 08-01-2023

This is one of the reasons for the restrictions.
Not smart.

" A 9-year-old girl was killed and seven others were injured Saturday after a pickup truck went down a ravine off Mauna Kea Access Road.

Rescue officials were called to an area just below the Mauna Kea Visitor Center at about 3:30 p.m. Saturday near where a Toyota Tacoma had rolled over and down a ravine about 200 feet off the road.

Officials say it was raining at the time of the crash and the truck was speeding when the driver lost control.

Hawaii Island police say it appears speed, failure of the truck’s brakes, and not wearing seatbelts appear to be factors in the outcome of the incident. At the time of the crash, five people were inside the truck’s cabin while three were within the bed of the truck.

Several of the truck’s eight occupants were ejected from the vehicle when the crash happened."

Failure of the truck's brakes or improper use of brakes? I'll guess the latter, Pat...

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 08-01-2023

kept it in 1st gear all the way down.

I lived on Crater Road Maui.  All the tourists drove by on their way up to Haleakala.  We often smelled burning brakes as the cars descended down the mountain.  A few times a month rental cars would stop in front of the house, brakes smoking and stinking to high heaven, and the tourists would ask to use my phone so they could call Avis or Hertz because they'd been given a "defective" car.  

When I asked if they used low gear on the way down, the driver, generally a young man in his twenties, squinted at me and repeated - - the car was defective.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - AaronM - 08-01-2023

(08-01-2023, 08:30 PM)leilanidude Wrote: Failure of the truck's brakes or improper use of brakes? I'll guess the latter, Pat...

Devils Advocate says it could also have been a maintenance issue.  Your neglected brakes might be good enough for town but not for the hill...

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - HiloJulie - 08-02-2023

Personally, I could care less what people want to drive to the top.

I would sincerely hope that whatever they drive they have the financial means necessary with either insurance and/or liquid assets that can pay for a tow, accident, repair damages or worse yet, significant damage to the sacred Mauna.

As with driving an older classic car, such as a 1963 Porsche 356, a Google search shows a low-end retail value of $97,200, Average retail value of $152,200 with a high-end retail value of $237,200, why ANYBODY would want to put the wear and tear it takes on a vehicle to climb that mountain and back down even with the best driver behind the wheel truly escapes me.

Considering that the majority of replacement parts for a car like that are available via the classic car parts store known as "Unobtainable." Shipping times vary from maybe to never.

Personally, I would do one of the tours. Considering if you have to rent a 4X4 to do the trip. And the tours provide you with warm jackets, hot beverages, professional pictures and a luxury 4X4 van. 

And it also helps keep our local economy going. Ken's towing has enough business at sea level.