Punaweb Forum
need a quick education - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Specialized Group Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 2008 Big Island Elections (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: need a quick education (/showthread.php?tid=3664)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: need a quick education - critterlover - 08-25-2008

Aloha Kakou!

I don't have a lot of time to post here, though each time I take the time to read I am upset with myself for not taking the time! You all are so engaging.

First, thanks to Rob for providing this venue.
Second, thanks to all who HAVE taken time to share their thoughts about the elections, candidates and issues here.
Third, whew! Where do I start...

I really like Kale! His passion, his vision, his exuberance is impressive. As for coalition building have you tried to say no to him when he invites you to serve on a committee? I think many of his ideas are so doable, most appropriate for where we are now, both in the stream of time and location. I cannot say enough good things about him. The only thing I am reticent about may be nothing of consequence because if he is elected it is 2 years and if he proves to be a wrong choice there is another election.

I was impressed with Mr. Safarik's 'reasonableness' and wit and that he was most deferential during his portions of the forum sponsored by Malama O' Puna.

Councilwoman Naeole was endearing with her anecdotal stories. Clearly, she has a big heart and follows it where it leads her. She will forever have 2 years as Councilwoman.

Ms. Stocksdale explained she was dealing with a personal issue and that is why she was distracted at that forum. I would liked to have heard her when she is at the top of her game.

Mr. Joseph's I have to observe more. I cannot make a judgement based on a single night of answers. He seems very personable.

It is really refreshing to see a cross section of candidates who each bring their own unique personalities to the offing.

I must confess, I have spent more time with Kale than any other candidate and if truth be known it is likely because I love his passion. I may not particularly agree with what he is passionate about all the time but he is 100 per cent genuine about who he is and what he believes -- which to me is an admirable quality. I have issues with some of his issues and it is why I have stepped back to see how others who are running compare. Also, trying to convince myself whether a vote for a candidate is a vote for myself or a vote for my community, though I guess they do not have to be mutually exclusive. That "social conscience" thing kicks in too often clouding the waters. Another bonus in meeting and working with Kale has been the extended family of folks who also have passion and primarily reflect a cohesive group for the good of Puna.

My ancestors include Quanah Parker who left his mark on the world both as a warrior and a business man. Sometimes leadership is inherent and inherited from ancestral roots. Sometimes it's not. I will say, my ancestry is not of Hawaiian origin and it is my only concern in voting for someone who has such a calling as Kale has. But I am reminded of "Pono" and what it means and must trust that desiring a balance for all things, including people of other ethnicity, is a prime ideal, one that has driven my life for all of my adult life.

I am still musing over my choice.

Thanks again for your thoughts here. They add to the process of choice wonderfully.

Our task must be to free ourselves...by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty. --Albert Einstein

RE: need a quick education - james weatherford - 08-26-2008

[quote]Originally posted by Damon

Instead of bagging on Gumapac so much... can you tell me what are the reasonS (Yes with a capitol S) you are supporting Naeole?
Is the only reason... her eventual vote on the Wheelabrator?"

Damon,

First, my M.O. is not about "bagging" Kale. I have given my honest opinion in response when other people have initiated assessment of his qualities as a candidate.
Second, yes, for the record, I have previously stated that I will vote for Naeole in the Primary because she did the right thing on the Wheelabrator vote. Also, I have previously stated that I do not ask nor expect anyone else to do the same.
One vote? Well, it was a big vote and not just any vote -- the most important and decisive vote made in the Council term.
Across the years, I have not felt compelled to cast my vote on such a basis in any election. However, this time in this election it seems like what I (not necessarily anyone else) ought to do.
Be disappointed later? No, that has already happened Wink
We'll see how it looks at the General Election.
Thanks, Damon, for your interest -- seriously Smile
Remember, this is only politics and we'll all be moving on afterwards.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: need a quick education - Bob Orts - 08-26-2008

I found out over the years that when a person continually bashes another candidate, it's because their candidate has nothing of value to show. If a candidate had positive attributes, they will shine, but if they are an ignorant baffon, all they can do is try to divert attention from their own stupidity and direct everyone's attention to the faults of their opponent. You know, “it’s not about my boozing, womanizing, drug buying, toe tapping, embezzling, vote selling, lobbyist paying ways and instead focus on my opponent’s lack of understanding the situation in Upper Bugganovia.”

RE: need a quick education - Kapohocat - 08-27-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker...We are rather blessed to have a surplus of good candidates for an important Puna position.

Isnt this always the way? Some years, you have to vote for the best of the worst - and this year 2-3 good choices for any of the races.

So is Harry going to retire or go back to CD?

RE: need a quick education - Guest - 08-27-2008

I can tell you one thing that I have noticed, that out of all of the Candidates....to me, it seems like Anthony Marzi is making a concerted effort to go to things that concern Puna whether he is on the Panel or not.

He is doing a great job of educating himself about politics and has a strong grip of the transportation problems here in Puna.

-------
Glob

RE: need a quick education - macuu222 - 08-28-2008

Politics.... Don't you just love it!