Punaweb Forum
PUNA vs other Hawaii - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: PUNA vs other Hawaii (/showthread.php?tid=612)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - mella l - 08-25-2006

Gee John I didn't hear about it over hear on this side of the big water! What's doing pleeaaaassseee?

mella l

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - jdirgo - 08-25-2006

Oceanfront at the end of Kahakai, someone is building a very tall concrete house. Many people in the community are upset about it because of its size and because the style is very modern (almost industrial) and doesn't look like anything else in the neighborhood. And its so tall (pushing right to the very edge of the County building codes) that its blocking or at least impacting a lot of people's views.

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
Island Trust Properties, LLC
808-987-9243 cell

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - tikiyaki - 08-27-2006

quote:
Gee weren't the 70's hippies the love in inspiring kind? Live and let live, Love one another, praise the children? Sounds like aloha to me. Perhaps why the puna is so popular? Sorry I missed the flower child 70's love in culture.

mella l

PS was thinking a title like, this VS that, might set the wrong tone and keep people from posting. Puna compared to other Hawaiian spots would inspire more replys? Could be wrong and usually am! LOL

Edited by - mella l on 08/25/2006 09:26:46

Yea...sorry, wasn't my intention to be confrontational as much as , what were the reasons you chose Puna over other parts of Hawaii.
Anyway, I was hoping to get more dialogue on this but the thread seems to have had a short life. Oh Well. :-)

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - haoleboy - 08-27-2006

Maybe I can stir the pot and say why HaoleQueen and I didn't choose Puna. As typical haoles, we started our search Kona side (sunny weather & nice beaches).

Downside to "urban" kona was traffic, crowds, too touristy and pricey.

We liked the Captain Cook area, but not much inventory, a bit pricey, and voggy.

Farther south (Miloli, HOVE) was priced right, but terrain was desolate. Might as well live on the moon.

North of town (Waikoloa) seemed pricey, desolate, and a little too well planned. Great beaches though.

Hawi seemed to have great potential, but very little inventory, a bit pricey, and we suspected fairly windblown much of the time.
The big upside was Haolequeen could have a nice sunset over the ocean, which initialy was a requirement.

I don't remember why we discounted the immediate Hilo area (I think we wanted to be a little farther away from town).

When we drove around the Puna area, we just didn't get a good vibe. There is no argument that the best real estate deals in Hawaii are in Puna. Maybe I was a little prejudiced, as I had been warned that the area was off-beat, and had lot of wild-west to it. I've got no problem with off-beat, and I should have been a cowboy, but there was just something a little wierd that we couldn't put our finger on.

Then we stopped into our town in Hamakua and everything clicked. Everyone we spoke to was friendly and helpful. The town itself had a certain charm to us, and we loved the first house we looked at.

IMHO, there is a place that fits for everyone, but Puna wasn't quite it for us.

Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"A word to the wise ain't necessary- it's the stupid people that need advise."- Bill Cosby

Edited by - haoleboy on 08/27/2006 09:14:26

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - mella l - 08-27-2006

Aloha tikiyaki, sorry didn't intend that comment directly to you by the way. Just a general observation of this and other topic subjects.

If you could let us know Puna in comparison to this or that, perhaps people would have some ideas for you. The subject is a pretty large one to cover in a single post.

Good hunting! Mella

mella l

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - tikiyaki - 08-27-2006

mella l - no worries, I knew that, this board is all about Aloha :-)

Haoleboy - thanx for the in depth description of your decision making process. I'm sure I must have drove thru Hamakua when I was on the BI, not sure if I stopped there tho' . We DID go to Akaka Falls which seems to be close by, then we proceeded around further up and back into Kona. It was really nice up there as remember.

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - Kapohocat - 08-27-2006

No problem, Haoleboy, my parents live out Hamakua side... village called Honomu... we moved from Honomu to Puna about 5 years ago... for us it was just time for a change and most of my old time friends lived in Puna so we were out here more often than not.

Honomu seems like a wonderful little community, and if you're happy in Puna, then that's great. I think there is a different vibe between Hamakua and Puna. Maybe because Hamakua towns are much more established and Puna is growing so fast and struggling with order issues? Whatever, if it suits you then that's great!
Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"Whenever I watch TV, and see all those poor starving kids all over the world, I can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that, but not with all the flies and death and stuff."-Mariah Carey

RE: PUNA vs other Hawaii - David M - 08-27-2006

Haoleboy - just curious, but what little town along Hamakua are you? We're in Ninole - between mm 18/19.

David

Ninole Resident

Honokaa, but don't tell anyone.
Aloha
Richwhiteboy

"As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it."- Dick Cavett

Edited by - haoleboy on 08/28/2006 07:26:32