Punaweb Forum
Hawaii island ruined tourism - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaii island ruined tourism (/showthread.php?tid=6569)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - mdd7000 - 12-07-2009

TomK, I don't believe that you can compare the copying of comments from one forum to another with the copying of published, copyrighted material.

At the bottom of each page of the forum, there is a copyright symbol (says 2006) but can a forum copyright the content posted on it by anonymous users? In other words, are the comments posted by forum members able to be copyrighted by someone other than the original author?

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - Greg - 12-07-2009

Question:

Can a poster copyright individual posts to a forum?
If so, how?

Stoneface

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - 808blogger - 12-07-2009

You are operating under the terms and conditions set for in the puna web forum. The Forum dictates the copyright conditions for your posts as we are participating in creating content FOR punaweb.

However this just continues to illustrate the point people should really consider and that is Intellectual Property != (not equal) Real Property. The current copyright system is so horrible that even people in this forum feel they should somehow have legal protection because they own the right to some special alignment of certain bits to form words on a screen. LOL

Real Property is property BECAUSE it is scarce and limited. Digital property is neither Scarce nor limited, and by copying the original in now way is affecting the original owners ability to use "Original"

Furthermore, Search engines function based on this idea, that they can go and copy the contents of the entire site, parse around in there, make links, and represent that data to you in another form. It has even been proven in court that this is legal "fair use" (LOL @ that term). If i wanted to make an "Art Project" that consisted of a computer program to download punaweb, and then dynamically color the words based who was posting them for example, and then MAKE a NEW website lets call it punawebartforum.com that was my "recreation" of this forum, it would be all legal, AND i could COPYRIGHT MY program so that nobody else could type the program like i typed it.

By copying your words, nobody is depriving you of anything. If you dont want people to copy your words, you probably shouldn't share them with others.

quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Question:

Can a poster copyright individual posts to a forum?
If so, how?

Stoneface

OG topic:

I don't know if pandering to tourist is the best way to sustain an economy, LOL WUT ECONOMY!?

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - EightFingers - 12-07-2009

"... Can a poster copyright individual posts to a forum?
If so, how? ..."

The logistics would make it difficult to impossible. You also have to pay each time you submit material asking for a copyright. You can post a LINK to something you have ALREADY copyrighted, but you can't have obtain a blanket copyright for ANYTHING you MAY post.

Wrong:

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created.

Punaweb owns the copyright to ALL content on this site, thats how it works, now the punaweb owners can OFFER a license to its users (through the user agreement) that specifies that individual posters can maintain their copyright, OR NOT, i didnt read the punaweb agreement HA! so im not sure how the they have the license written.

One of the reasons for the existence of the GPL, BSD, and creative common licenses is because of auto copyright, its a non copyright copyright, using the function of copyright to make a copyleft

quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

"... Can a poster copyright individual posts to a forum?
If so, how? ..."

The logistics would make it difficult to impossible. You also have to pay each time you submit material asking for a copyright. You can post a LINK to something you have ALREADY copyrighted, but you can't have obtain a blanket copyright for ANYTHING you MAY post.

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - Carey - 12-07-2009

Many people do not realize that there are copyrights on web material, until they try to move a website they thought was theirs.... Learned this almost a decade ago when I first looked into creating a website.

Hosting/domain companies can charge dearly to move a website... and can because the agreement with the hosting/domain company may give the legal right to the content over to that company... ie, the hosting/domain company may hold copyright on the material.

To avoid any legal grey areas, It is always best to only use your info, that you created, in the medium you created.

If you quote from a web source, you should always use always use quotes and link back to the source. Most University libraries have the correct way to notate source material in their site.

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - Rob Tucker - 12-07-2009

It is probably a good moment to create a new topic regarding internet copyrighting and fair use.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

RE: Hawaii island ruined tourism - TomK - 12-07-2009

Kathy - just to be clear, my comment wasn't aimed at you at all, my apologies if it appeared that way.