Punaweb Forum
GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! (/showthread.php?tid=1098)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - leilaniguy - 05-21-2007

In 1979, my mom died of cancer. The only thing that made the last year of her life tolerable for her,(or us, her children) was pakalolo. Her doctor acknowledged it was illegal, but said "as a human being, I have to recommend it" (and this was 1979). It is a great gift, I've always thought of it as sacred, this current prohibition is the real crime.

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - aprild - 05-22-2007

This is a good discussion: very interesting and informative to hear different opinions.

As I type this I'm listening to a radio show about pharmaceutical drugs which are used for mental illness for adults and children and how dangerous they are. Ironic.

A huge ramification of keeping pot illegal is that Northern California is being over run by the Mexican Mafia. They grow huge--tens of thousands of plants--patches out on public land snd private timber company land. They bring in 'desperados'-- illegals from Mexico and arm them with uzis. They pollute the streams and rivers, disrupt ecological systems, put out rat poison which kills wildlife indiscriminately, and leave behind tons of litter in their 'camps.' They also threaten hikers and quite often kill each other. It's bad. If pot was legal, I think this element would leave the woods.

Here in Mendocino and California in general, medical marijuana is legal. It is a sane approach to a harmless herb which has been used for millenia for healing a multitude of ailments and other uses--rope, for instance. I know someone is going to say pot is harmful and some people do mis-use it. But, anything can be abused from credit cards to food. I even heard of an individual who killed himself by drinking too much water.

I would like to see rationality re-established regarding marijuana. People are going to get 'high.' A wish to do so seems to be inherent in several species. I certainly would rather deal with a stoner who has the munchies than a drunk any day. As I have heard quoted: You never hear that someone who had smoked pot beat his wife or robbed a convenience store.

As for equating heroin, ice, meth and even alcohol with pot--that is just, to me, the result of propaganda and scare tactics which result from both a lack of information or bad information. I seldom hear peyote being vilified. It is rather equated with spiritual practice and not a substance which is used widely or abused (I'm sure that some do abuse it, just not many). That's because it is an intense drug to deal with physically and mentally. I would classifiy marijuana with the psychoative drugs--a very mild one--which is used for introspection, spiritual growth and journeying into the vast psychic landscape. The fact that, in this culture, we do not educate our children (and our society in general) about the spiritual (and healing)dimensions of this sacred plant is a failing of our society. Think of the difference if children were told that it is a special substance, not to be used lightly, but with respect and that, while not being harmful, it was an experience to be saved for older individuals, much like driving, sex, voting. I think that if we were truthful about marijuana, its uses and effects, and if we legalized its use, most of the undesirable effects that have been artificially created will disappear.

I really don't understand the impulse that humans have to police and control the actions of others. That is, of course, unless they are harmful to others and to society as a whole. I don't believe that everyone will work and be productive members of society with or without drugs. Don't you know anyone who is just plain lazy or has mental problems and won't or can't work? In fact, what is so great about someone having a corporate job, helping to create an essentially useless and environmentally damaging product (like a t.v. with more square footage than most of the world's population's living space) in order to enrich some already super rich people who, by the way, DON'T WORK, but live off the labor of others. Stealing is bad, but I do not believe I have EVER heard of anyone stealing a stereo to buy pot. That's cause it's not addictive, folks, nor does it cause permanent changes in the brain which result in psychosis or just plain crazy thinking. (There is some research that suggests that it may be detrimental to schizophrenics--but this is fairly new and sparse research that is anything but certain at this point.) And you can grow your own. Is this one of the reasons the Feds won't legalize it? It can't be controlled?

I have heard educators who should know better demonize marijuana, for what reason I do not know. Perhaps they are just afraid of people who might think for themselves and go off the reservation of approved cultural thought...and not take their proper place in the status quo.

april

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - Bill - 05-22-2007

Bravo!

"Be kind whenever possible; it is always possible"
-Dalai Lama-

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - ericlp - 05-22-2007

quote:
Most of you know how conservative my behavior is with regard to drugs... don't smoke, don't drink, don't do any of the entertainment stuff.... having said that:

I AGREE THAT ALL DRUGS SHOULD BE LEGAL, because if they are legal then: A. you can regulate them and B you remove organized crime from the picture.

If we regulate instead of punish, then we have a chance to combat the situation. It is simple economics. Our prisons are filled with people busted for possession of drugs. Possessing but doing no other harm costs us about $40,000 a year to keep that person in prison (and that is an OLD figure; I bet it is higher now). I would rather spend that money on national health care, education, etc...

( / ) <--- here is my fanny for you to kick because most of you won't agree and will want to kick me. At least this is a place where we can have an opinion!!!
Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

I agree too.... Not only can we divert funds from prosecuting, gang wars, prison costs, deaths, etc...etc... But we can use those funds to "educate" the public.

It's a known fact in Amsterdam where drugs are l eagle. They have low crime and drug use rates... WHY?

They educate people about drugs. Lets just get this out of the way right now. Most drug users are going to do the drugs anyway. You can't stop people from doing something they want to continue doing. Next when young people are educated about drugs and see users on the street with no money no life...etc...etc... It's a pretty big turn off and they know what it leads too.

Not only that but the government could tax drugs ... use that tax money for more education. If thats a big *IF* I were a drug user, I'd feel much more safer buying it in 7/11 on the shelf knowing that it is the drug I am buying not some laced with PCP or Crack.... You never know what you are getting when buying from someone unknown on the streets...

Finally, one last point. If alcohol where discovered today it would be classified as a class 3 hallucinogenic drug witch is a lot worse then some of the harder drugs out there... Granted there are a lot of teens even some kids drinking it and getting hooked on it. A lot of crime and death come from alcohol but we can buy it 24/7 ... If we are going to say OK to a very bad drug and say no to the others... You can't sit on the fence and you can't tell people "NO... Can't do it..." Because it's been tried and it didn't work so it's pointless... We are going to either say No to All or Yes to all... You can't choose and pick your poisons...

Edit one last thing... Some people try drugs because they are taboo and for the cool factor... If you take this out of the pictures then that will just be another deterrent not to try. I guess the excitement factor would lose it's edge to stuff you can get at 7/11.

We've been fighting this so called drug "war" for what? Past 20-30 years? Haven't made much progress matter of fact I think it's worse! Why not try something different? Isn't it common sense to ask yourself if something has not worked for so long shouldn't we look at other alternatives to this problem? I would think so!!!

Sorry for the book...

Edited by - ericlp on 05/22/2007 12:30:37

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - mella l - 05-22-2007

Thank you Pam, April, and Eric,

So well said!

Love many, trust few, work hard and hurt no one.

Mella L

mella l

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - Dave M - 05-22-2007

Good points,

So now that I don't feel like the lone ranger, let's take it one step further. To pick up where Kathy left off:

""I would have never believed, 40 years ago, that in 2007 pot would STILL be illegal.""

Soooo... why do y'all think an herb which is less detrimental/addictive than alcohol is still illegal? I think it goes back to lobbyist and big business, or in the case of weed the lack there of. Granted it would be a big business but there are no big businesses that are existing, legally, that have a dog in the fight.

I'm really starting to believe that our country is being run by big business through ear marked money and lobbyist. Yeah, I know we have a vote but the way the last few elections have gone, I don't even know if that matters anymore.

There was a group out there called NORMAL, I don't know if they still exist but that's the only group, I've ever heard of, that attempted to reach congress on the subject of legalizing weed.

The story about lilianiguys' mother being told by her doctor that weed would help her endure the cancer treatment is not rare. Doctors have lined up to say that marijuana is useful for many purposes.

So that's my question to yous guys why is marijuana still illegal. Many here have stated they don't use it but they don't think it should be illegal. I agree with them and don't smoke anymore but if I were going pick up any of my old habits I think weed would be the most harmless of them, including smoking cigaretts. Anyway your thoughts?

Take care,
dave

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - LeeE - 05-22-2007

"If the millions and billions of dollars spent on deturing import and export of drugs from all over the world were spent instead on education and rehabitation I wonder where we would be now..."

We'd be Holland!!!

You've got it right, Mella.

To really understand our govt's obsession with the drug war, I think you need to follow the money to the top of the prohibition food chain.

Anybody interested might google Catherine Austin Fitts and Drug Money and see what's really up with this, imho.

Great news that GH funding to be stopped and yes, it should have been by a unanimous vote.

Hope the voters will remember and vote accordingly next time around.

Cheers!

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - LeeE - 05-22-2007

"There was a group out there called NORMAL, I don't know if they still exist but that's the only group, I've ever heard of, that attempted to reach congress on the subject of legalizing weed..."

NORML.org, bigger and better than ever!

Also, <mpp.org>, <leap.cc/>, (Law Enforcement Against Prohbition) and many other outstanding reform groups online.

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - pslamont - 05-22-2007

One more and ai will shut up... probably Smile

Do most of you know how and when marijuana became illegal? It all has to do with the repeal of prohibition, taxation and the liquor lobbyists.... I imagine those same lobbyists have the corner on the congressional stance today!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: GREEN HARVEST SHOT DOWN! - Dave M - 05-22-2007

""It all has to do with the repeal of prohibition, taxation and the liquor lobbyists....""

No, I didn't know that. I'm not surpised.

As you can imagine I'm not surprised that the liqour lobbyist may be against it.

I always thought the repeal of prohibition was good example of why marijuana should be legalized, just to get the thugs out of it...

Take care,
dave