Punaweb Forum
Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! (/showthread.php?tid=12187)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - kalakoa - 07-15-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

The insurance is the most expensive part of taking down trees

Funny, a tree guy said the same thing after reading the HTH "$2K-10K/tree" figures.

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - ourdoc - 07-15-2013

You can skin an Albezia, that is cutting off about a 4 foot swath of skin all the way around the tree. It will take a while but the tree will decay from inside and drop right down where it stands. Don't know if I would trust this method if it was a danger of hitting something, but if not it works. The best part is a new tree wont grow out of it.

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - rainyjim - 07-15-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Sun

quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

Are there any biological controls for albezia?

Are there any biological controls for humans that have to intervene into nature's plan? Should we just pave the island for you complainers?

See Kilauea.

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - csgray - 07-15-2013

Quote from Sun:

"Are there any biological controls for humans that have to intervene into nature's plan? Should we just pave the island for you complainers?"

Albizia being on this island was NOT "nature's plan" It was human intervention every step of the way. They were brought from a distant continent by humans, propagated, planted and tended by humans, and now are an out of control hazard to humans. Not wanting to be flattened in your home by a falling monster tree growing on an off island owner's lot next door isn't really being a complainer.

Carol

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - dragon2k - 07-15-2013

Thank you Carol. This is not a case of being picky, this is a matter of safety

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - MarkP - 07-15-2013

I don't know who this "Sun" character is but the two posts I have read sound to me like self-righteous preaching. I lump self-righteous preaching in with complaining as both are expressing an opinion without any useful suggestion for a remedy. I will do my best to refrain from being influenced by Sun's posts until they win back some credibility.

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - Rob Tucker - 07-16-2013

Here's one way to possibly remove albezia rather quickly. Tax them. If the county put an annual tax of, say, $100 per tree I would expect to hear the sounds of chainsaws all over the area real fast.

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - Vampire - 07-16-2013

Try NAPALM

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - bluesboy - 07-16-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Here's one way to possibly remove albezia rather quickly. Tax them. If the county put an annual tax of, say, $100 per tree I would expect to hear the sounds of chainsaws all over the area real fast.

agreed

RE: Zendo Kern introduces Anti-Albezia bill?! - kalakoa - 07-16-2013

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Almost perfect -- but the tax would be easier to pass if it sounded "small", say ... $10/caliper inch.

Of course, County would end up owning several blocks of Nanavale Estates...