Punaweb Forum
Mayor Declares State of Emergency - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mayor Declares State of Emergency (/showthread.php?tid=14417)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - Chunkster - 09-05-2014

I'm hoping it isn't cut at all, but if 130 gets cut south of its intersection with Kahakai, the existing Government Beach road to Kahakai in Hawaiian Beaches/Shores could be enough to provide an alternative with relatively little improvement. Fred Blas got Kahakai repaved and it should be in shape to handle the traffic from Beach back to 130. It should be remembered, however, that ANY road makai of the current flow is subject to being cut if this thing lasts long enough. That's why the county may eventually have to go with Chain of Craters. Of course this is pure conjecture, but hopefully the officials are considering all the possibilites.

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - bluesboy - 09-05-2014

If the road from HPP to Hawaiian Shores is fixed up, then you could get from Kaloli Point to Kalapana on that road.

I hope that they not only open that section of road, but also make sure the entire length is paved.

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - HawaiiTedd - 09-05-2014

With the lava heading makai and eventually into the ocean if it persists, the County will likely be cautious about which roads they expand and when. It is really about where the lava crosses Hwy 130. If lava crosses south of Kahakai, then Waa Waa road will be sufficient in the short term. Likely that Gov't Beach Road from Hawaiian Beaches to HPP would only get expanded if absolutely needed...i.e. lava crosses Hwy 130 north of Kahakai entrance to Hawaiian Beaches. JMHO.

---

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - opihikao - 09-05-2014

Update: Hawaii News Now

BREAKING NEWS: Governor Neil Abercrombie has signed an emergency proclamation that will allow officials on Hawai‘i Island to begin identifying and immediately opening abandoned roads as alternate routes in case the Puna Lava Flow crosses Highway 130. The declaration comes one day after Hawai‘i Island Mayor Billy Kenoi issued his own emergency proclamation. More details tonight on @hawaiinewsnow!

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - Wao nahele kane - 09-05-2014

It's about time. Finally some testicular activity is called for. Although Betty White would disagree with that comparative.Wink

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - Guest - 09-05-2014

I take this as good news?. So what are the options(alternate routs), and how fast could they actually happen? This means they can go through owners property without permission? Do they need to have an environmental impact study or permits?.

Could FEMA help those displaced by the lava flow, like with housing, or cost of moving?. Still haven't been able to fix my fence damage left over from hurricane Iselle, now we may need 1st and last month rent and be ready to move quickly. This is thousands we don't have at a time when we could lose everything we already worked for. Anyone want to buy a cheap place in paradise?. We now would take half of what we were going to ask just 3 months ago. It might only be cash only to buy in this subdivision, I don't know?.

It means they will be looking at public owned abandon roads and they do not need to go through normal planning etc. In actuality the environmental impact requirements have been nearly completely scuttled for municipal entities for a few years now because of the decaying infrastructure across the nation.

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - leilanidude - 09-05-2014

...now we may need 1st and last month rent and be ready to move quickly. This is thousands we don't have at a time when we could lose everything we already worked for..
- - - - - - - - -
It is illegal in Hawaii to ask for more than the 1st month's rent and a deposit, which cannot be more than the monthly rental price. That does change if you have pets, in which the landlord can obtain additional deposits and/or increase the rent accordingly.

Gypsy69,
Don't you live in Leilani Estates? I doubt you have anything to worry about beyond perhaps having to drive down to 137 and down the beach road to get out on Kahakai or perhaps HPP and that's assuming the lava were to cross the highway. So in that respect yes, it's a good thing they are going to provide the alternate routes. The last thing we need is thousands of people getting trapped in Southern Puna.

RE: Mayor Declares State of Emergency - opihikao - 09-05-2014

FYI: (More information at link - Snipped)

The lava, which is coming from vents that opened in June, is expected to reach the boundary of the Kaohe Homesteads as soon as Tuesday. If it continues to flow east-northeast, it will eventually cross Highway 130.

County officials have identified two abandoned roads — Railroad Avenue and Government Beach Road — to be improved and used as alternate routes should access be cut off by the lava flow.

“Health officials are also advising all residents living near the lava flow to plan ahead for potential smoke from burning vegetation and low levels of sulfur dioxide,” Abercrombie said in a release Friday. “Conditions for nearby communities may vary widely due to the unpredictability of wind and weather.”

The disaster emergency relief period goes until Oct. 15, according to the proclamation.

Residents are also encouraged to enroll in local notification systems and monitor local radio and television broadcasts, the release says.

You can see more photos and track the flow’s progress on the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory’s website here.

Read the emergency proclamation below (at link).

http://www.civilbeat.com/2014/09/lava-flow-prompts-hawaii-governor-to-sign-emergency-proclamation/?cbk=540a616ee7715