Punaweb Forum
Tenant Trouble - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Tenant Trouble (/showthread.php?tid=19152)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Tenant Trouble - alaskyn66 - 01-29-2018

Although some of the options in this thread sound like the Mad Max way of doing things. the payoff option might be your best option.. with the least amount of hassle

In an alternate Universe though..s@#t happens.

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?

RE: Tenant Trouble - Mr nice guy - 01-29-2018

Offer stands.

48 hours after I come home they will be gone.

Gone in under 24 hours you pay $300.

Gone in 24-48 hours you pay $150.

After 48 hours I go home with no pay unless it is obvious they are moving out or you think I should stay in.

I won't be mean to them or start trouble.

I'm just a big guy who won't say a single word to them.

They won't be able to sleep.

RE: Tenant Trouble - Hunt Stoddard - 01-29-2018

MNG,

I think you're selling your services short. I actually can't think of any reason why your service would be illegal, when tenants are staying illegally anyway. You just say that the owner told you you could live in the house, even if that means dropping a mattress in the kitchen. If you're obnoxious enough, or creepy enough, they will eventually be gone.

BUT, and it's a big but, any kind of tense human interaction like that is inherently risky. You don't know how they'll react. Even if you're physically imposing, it's still a dicey situation.

That type of high-risk service should charge mucho dinero, and probably go up if you encounter particularly obstinate residents.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. There's more potential danger there than you may realize.

RE: Tenant Trouble - leilanidude - 01-30-2018

MNG - You could start a business with this...
"Landlord Muscle"
[Big Grin]

RE: Tenant Trouble - alaskyn66 - 01-30-2018

quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

MNG - You could start a business with this...
"Landlord Muscle"
[Big Grin]

And get history channel to fund it with a reality show..I cant think of a catchy title though..

(sorry Rob, I know we are drifting off here.)

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?

RE: Tenant Trouble - AKpilot - 01-30-2018

MNG,

I wil consider your offer, but right now our best bet is to try and get some money for rent, or the cash for keys option. It's a total PITA to be a landlord on the BI right now with the lack of Law Enforcement support, but as they say, "this sh!t won't last forever." We have finally started talking with the tenants through a 3rd party mediator and I think we may be finally getting through to them what a successful eviction could possibly cost them.

Wish me luck (I'm really a good landlord, we accept section 8, kids and pets!)

AKpilot

We're all here, because we're not all there!

RE: Tenant Trouble - MarkD - 01-30-2018

Mr. Nice Guy's offer is intriguing, but probably won't fly tenant protection codes. I am not an expert on Hawaii codes, but in California several provisions would have easily prevented this.

First, you have to give a tenant notice when you want to inspect their apartment (unless an extreme emergency). Doing repairs means just that--doing repairs, not moving some stranger into the unit to prompt them into moving out. And repairs means something like a 1-2 hour plumbing repair, not painting a bedroom.

Unless the tenants agree. The lease the tenants sign gives them control of your unit. They can call police to remove the landlord's agent. They can refuse to have (lengthy) non-emergency repairs done. Your unit is their home. Pretty sure the Hawaii landlord-tenant codes cover this.

RE: Tenant Trouble - lquade - 01-30-2018

i agree that "legal" means to remove a tenant are tough in hawaii, and "illegal" means have drawbacks. but isn't paying squatters to leave really extortion? i mean they all know they can be paid to leave their free-rent kingdoms, but it seems like something has to be done with these laws. i know harry K's big deal is homeless folk, but what these tenants are doing island wide is reducing those places that rent to low income people. I would never ever rent to anyone in hawaii and don't even like to leave my home unoccupied for more than a couple of days because these tweekers, and scammers are everywhere. sorry for your problems AK pilot you just never know what your getting. i read the article of the property owner up in hawi where the girl took a gun to him, and he stated over and over they were such a nice couple when the came...

RE: Tenant Trouble - kalakoa - 01-30-2018

isn't paying squatters to leave really extortion?

No less "extortion" than County RPT suggesting that they "re-evaluate" your homeowner exemption status...

RE: Tenant Trouble - Rob Tucker - 01-30-2018

I had some Section 8 tenants that were fine. County Housing paid their rent by direct deposit and inspected the place themselves semi annually. I think if I had an eviction situation the housing authority would get
involved and buffer me with the tenant.... but I haven't had that happen.