Punaweb Forum
Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? (/showthread.php?tid=22570)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - MyManao - 01-17-2022

(01-17-2022, 06:55 PM)kander Wrote: Herd immunity? we're there

Sorry, wrong. Do you want to try again?

Herd immunity is when the hospitals are no longer burdened.. when the transmission rate is considerably South of 1%.

And all that "money grubbing from pharma, politicians on the take, and their lapdog media to sell their brand of sauce.." noise you make.. and I mean omg kander you couldn't sound more infantile if you tried.. has no place in any rational discussion about dealing with a pandemic.

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - Carey - 01-17-2022

"Re-thinking herd immunity" from Johns Hopkins has some good info & points
for those awaiting this....
"IS HERD IMMUNITY STILL AN ACHIEVABLE GOAL FOR COVID-19?

Yes—but “herd immunity to COVID-19” does not mean that we will soon achieve a level of immunity in the population, like what we see with measles, and coronavirus will be “over.” Returning to life as it was before the pandemic, without seeing large coronavirus outbreaks, is unlikely to happen for several years, for a few reasons."
https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2021/what-is-herd-immunity-and-how-can-we-achieve-it-with-covid-19

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - MyManao - 01-17-2022

(01-17-2022, 08:22 PM)Carey Wrote: "Re-thinking herd immunity"

Thanks for the article. The whole thing's a moving target, isn't it?

As per my less than explicit use of the term.. my expectations fall along the lines of omi is only the latest in a long line of still to come variants; and although they will be spawned they will, with time, have less and less of an audience, in that with each infection, we assume, comes so much immunization. And, more specific to the moment, omicron has made, is making, a large contribution in that way. So much so that at the moment I assume every enclosed space, every commonly shared indoor environment, is saturated with aerosolized covid. And, further, those that inhale it will, regardless of each's specific outcome, build antibodies.

Though to be clear, I have yet to hear/read anything about how robust the antibodies that are stimulated by omicron are. And, as well, we can't speak for what kind of new fangled variants might get thrown at us in the future..

But still, my point is that because covid is so prevalent right now, there is, loosely at least, a chance we can expect some lessoning of the threat in general, community wide, once this surge passes. Not to say we all will be magically immune, just that there will be far fewer active infections and fair fewer candidate to spread what infections there are. And, as such, a much smaller viral load in our shared atmosphere.

Not to say I would abandon my masks, but I sure would like to back down from a full face respirator just to pop into KTA.

And, btw, my point, thoughts, are all predicated on the assumption that the unvaxx'd have won the day. Because the Supremes have declined the opportunity to codify science into our public health policies we're left to the whims of big business, and it doesn't look like they are rushing in to fill the void. So, we will, pretty much for sure, have some version of covid around for a long time to come.

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - Punaperson - 01-18-2022

While some seem to be celebrating the wide spread aspect of the omicron variant, please be aware that while it is being called 'mild' in relation to previous waves of infection, it still can make a person very sick.

I found out earlier today via phone call that a friend's household caught it after attending a small outdoor New Year's Day get-together. After first experiencing symptoms, they took the at-home tests which were positive for all 3 of them, and they assume it is the omicron version. The mother felt bad for about 2 days, the father for about a week, but their daughter ( in her 30s ) still has a low-grade fever and major fatigue. All 3 were double vaxxed and boosted, and in general good health. So while it is good that hospitalization is not needed in the daughter's case, being too sick to go to work for 2 weeks is no joke. Please take precautions not to spread the virus to others, even if you think it is only 'mild'.

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - kalakoa - 01-18-2022

I read several newspapers every day. Only the Hawaii ones trumpet the daily COVID case count. It's almost as if most places have moved on.

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-18-2022

Only the Hawaii ones trumpet the daily COVID case count.

Every day on the front page of NY Times:

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - Chas - 01-18-2022

I'm back in PA again, hopefully for the last time. They've decided it's over. Even less people are wearing masks now compared to when I was here a couple of months ago. This despite having the highest numbers of hospitalizations since the pandemic began.

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - kalakoa - 01-18-2022

Every day on the front page of NY Times:

As a ticker, not an article, not for NY specifically. No "probable" infections. No "delayed reporting because the system is overwhelmed".

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - AaronM - 01-18-2022

Study out of Israel says Pfizers 4th shot is not very effective against Omicron

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israeli-study-shows-4th-shot-covid-19-vaccine-not-able-block-omicron-2022-01-17/

RE: Why are so many vaccinated people getting COVID-19 lately? - leilanidude - 01-18-2022

(01-17-2022, 11:28 PM)MyManao Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 08:22 PM)Carey Wrote: "Re-thinking herd immunity"

And, btw, my point, thoughts, are all predicated on the assumption that the unvaxx'd have won the day. Because the Supremes have declined the opportunity to codify science into our public health policies we're left to the whims of big business, and it doesn't look like they are rushing in to fill the void. So, we will, pretty much for sure, have some version of covid around for a long time to come.

No idea how you come up with big business as being against vaccinations? Most of the biggest companies are, more or less, forcing employees to become vaccinated or be fired.