Punaweb Forum
Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Uncle Billy's Hotel? (/showthread.php?tid=503)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Lee DeJongh - 07-06-2006

Thanks for the opinions. We bought in HPP on Fourth St. Marj and I saw many areas that we liked. Our specific reasons to buy there was that it seemed a "safe" choice, The microclimate there is somewhat drier and warmer than elsewhere, (important to us with our arthritis), the roads were decent and it has some community spirit even tho it is HUGE. Lava zone 3 was important.

No matter what people say the lava will flow again...repeatedly... Each of us are concerned for only a 10 -30 year window and of course anytime, anyone can move. But where the lava flows is somewhat predictable.

Leilani is beautiful and great efforts have been spent to make it a classy subdivision. But it is lava zone 1 and that is a BIG problem. Values in the long run are going to be depressed there. Still, when we actually move to the BI I would not hesitate to buy there if, the price is right, and depending on current volcano activity. Many believe that as long as the current eruption continues, Leilani is safe. My effective lifespan is 20 years so I can take a chance for that long.

Mauna Loa however is a bigger problem in my mind but it should not affect Puna.

The areas up the mountain are beautiful but too cold for us.

As far as realtors go, John Dirgo helped us and I have been happy. I think you have to accept BI on its own terms including the people. My experience with John was unlike any experience here on the mainland with realtors but not in a bad way. It was just a bit more passive and no high pressure. That suited us fine but perhaps some want more handholding and direction . I don't know.

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Carolann R - 07-07-2006

I beg to differ. Hawaiian Shores Rec is OBVIOUS when you get there...there are fat white lines painted across the roads (nicely paved) once you cross into HSRE. My new neighborhood is beautiful. No roosters crowing (except in the distance but I like them anyway) and no junk cars - good CC&Rs there. I hear what you say about Hawaiian Beaches, but I didn't see much of the undesirable atmosphere you talk about. I saw a few junky houses here and there...it's not that bad and the drive to get to that area is not "boring." It's very beautiful (there's no comparison for us - 30 minutes going 70 on the freeway choked wtih cars). We drove it in the mornings during the rush several times and it never took 45 minutes to get to Hilo - closer to 25 - 30. If you are driving to Hilo Makai then you will have an easier time since the right turn will usually have a merginging lane into the flow.

Again - you need to come and see for yourself. When you get here you will know if it's where you want to be. Also - John Dirgo is amazing (I was sure you said he's your Buyer's Rep) and he will show you what to look for and what to avoid. There are too many conflicting opinions sometimes and that only confuses people if you're looking for a home.

Ainaloa has some really pretty properties. You need to see for YOURSELF.

Leilani is gorgeous - sometimes otherworldly pretty - I don't know about mold, but there's a way to combat that kinda thing.

You know Lenny - MY street here in Arizona has a couple of houses that are not in the greatest shape. They stand out from the rest for sure. I think this is going to be the case wherever you purchase a home.

If someone wants to live in a subdivision like the ones behind walls and with guard shacks to protect you from the bad element - they won't find that here (thank the Lord). And although there were some bigger properties in HPP...there were STILL unpaved roads and junky houses just like any other subdivision.

Pau!

Carrie

http://www.cafepress.com/dreamhawaii
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Cindy V - 07-07-2006

Mold in LE? I guess I cannot "officially" comment as I don't live there yet, but the places we have stayed in LE I have never seen a mold problem or signs of cleaning up one?

Aloha

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - lluberesm - 07-07-2006

Carrie: I have seen several homes in HSRE that I am interested in. My husband especially became more interested in it when I showed him your post and you mentioned PRIVATE WATER for I think "$20" a month! That made him put HSRE at the top of the list. I too believe greatly in intuition and the none-existence of coincidence. I know that when I find it I will know it and feel it. Whatever happens after that was just meant to be.

Buzz: Great advice you think much like my husband. His main focus is to be as balanced as possible. He is very laid back and easy going but extremely focused on NEVER being overextended! We balance things out I think because he brings me back down to reality when I lose focus of what it is we are looking for when moving to Hawaii. He reminds me that I once said "All I want is a humble home, a humble life, and than to LIVE not just exist!" Here we have a large home, a kind of large life, and we EXIST from season to season until the 2 month or less or actual summer time when we live for about 2 or 3 days out of the week and start getting ready to hibernate for another 9 months! I have no emotional attachment to our BIG house or anything else we own because it means nothing if you are not living. Those "mainland" east coast bad habits tend to creep up on you even if it¡¦s not your style. (Sometimes you become a product of your environment even if you fight tooth and nail no to) So yes, FOCUS is the key and I will keep that in mind. Mahalo!

Rebecca: What part of the east coast did you live in? I definitely understand what you are saying. I live in a city that just by mentioning it everyone AND I MEAN EVERYONE thinks the worse of. I grew up here and moved to a smaller town across the river my senior year in high school. I moved back when I sold the first home I bought after getting married and having kids (approximately 2 years ago). Everyone said I was crazy coming back to this place. I found a beautiful home in a "tiny" section of the city that is absolutely beautiful and removed from the "ghetto". Where I live is a world on its own. HOWEVER, if you walk several blocks in any direction you see things and people that you just do not want to be around. Our children don't see any of it because where we live is practically a park and anywhere we want to go we cut trough the park and end up in another town far removed from people or situations we do not want to see. So when you talk about undesirable areas believe me I know what you mean and I know what I do not want to be associated with or be around.

No need to apologize for being blunt or direct. I appreciate it and invite it because it is truth and there is nothing better than being true and real! I will know after probably half that time if it is a place where I want to be, based on what I wish to be removed from. I know that although at different levels or in a different way, undesirable areas in Hawaii are not the same as in NJ. But, I know that undesirable situations or people are the same all over the world. I do not mean this as a generalization. What I mean is that unless you are involved with and enjoy drugs, crime, loitering, obnoxious disrespectful noise, garbage, an unsafe feeling when walking down the street or letting your kids out, violence, and constant police presence on account of illegal or unsafe activity, than it is the same all around the world.

As to the real estate agent, I too had a horrible experience with a realtor when I tried selling my first home 2 years ago. I ended up selling it by owner and swear by that now. When I put my house up for sale about 4 weeks ago I did it by owner. Quickly I realized that it was not going to work because we are saving everything we can for the move. Since I really want things to speed up and can not afford to pay the advertising prices in the New York Times, or Star Ledger (400 to 500) for a small ad, I decided to list it with an agency. Already I am becoming disappointed with there service. My listing agent went on VACATION the week after we singed the paper work. I checked the ad last night on line and they made a mistake and listed it as having 2 full baths instead of 3. There was supposed to be a virtual tour and there is not. The pictures the guy took are not all on the website so the home can really not be appreciated through those pictures. I have not gotten a call yet, and to top it I was told I would have an open house set up for the 9th of this month and now its up in the air. I would not generalize and say all real-estate agents are shady at best, but, I have not had a great experience yet. I am giving these people until I come back from Hawaii. If they I have not heard anything from them I will be cancelling and putting the house up by owner again. On the up side, my gut as well as all the wonderful information I have heard about John Dirgo have me feeling absolutely great about my decision to work with him. No grudges against real-estate agents just the ones I worked with in the past and I think the one I am working with to sell my home now. LOL

Lee Dejongh: I will be working with John Dirgo as well and if that is how he works it will suit us fine as well. Most of the agents on this part of the country (including personal friends) are very high strong, fast talkers, fast paced, and pressuring. It might be an east coast thing, I don¡¦t know, but I can really do without it. Fast, is exactly what I am trying to get away from. Also, I keep hearing about it being cold when you get higher up the mountain. I know the higher you get the colder it will be. But, what exactly does cold mean to those of you living on the island? Is it cold night and day? Will I feel like I am still in NJ in the middle of February? ƒº

Lenny

I am definitely not looking to live in a gated community. It took me a while to figure out what exactly you guys meant when you said subdivision. I had NEVER heard that expression before. At first I thought it meant gated community. But, was too embarrassed to ask what a subdivision was (not wanting to sound ignorant). I immediately decided (before I figured it out) that a subdivision was not where I wanted to live. There are many gated communities close to where I live. We almost purchased a home in a gated community in Clifton, and Nutley NJ. Thank goodness we decided not too. I would of been so frustrated we would of probably sold at a loss immediately!

Lenny

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Robin C - 07-07-2006

Lenny.

To provide a perspective on living at a high elevation...
I live in Volcano at around 3,500 feet. It is usually 5 to 10 degrees cooler here than in Hilo. That's a good thing for me since I tend to wilt in the heat. It drops to the 50s at night. Again, I love it. Good sleeping weather. In the winter it has been known to drop to the 40s. That's rare and doesn't last long.

I love the lush rainforest. Few bugs.
The rain is fine for me. The ground is so porous up here that there doesn't seem to be any flooding.

Good luck in your house hunting.
I agree with the many forum members who have said you will know it when you see it. We did.

Robin

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Lee DeJongh - 07-07-2006

Lenny A subdivision in Puna is unlike any I have known on the mainland. On the mainland it is a development of land where lots are platted and built up completely within maybe 2 years. On the BI some subdisions are huge and were established 50 years ago but are still unbuilt. HPP is maybe 20% built or so, the others less, Leilani maybe a little more , Hawaian Shores maybe more, but there is vacant land everywhere. One thing I tried very hard to keep in mind is that all this land is owned by someone and that someone may decide to do somthing with their land at any time. So I paid no attention to things like remoteness or wideopen spaces.or privacy. If you don't own it it might not be rural or wide open for long.

As far as cold mauka goes, it's relative. We were at Kehena and temps were low 80's. At Volcano it was probably 60-65. Not bad, slacks and jacket weather. I just couldn't stand that temperature continously. Even if it got to 70-75 occcasionally or even frequently, I personally could not tolerate it. and I did noy want to move to BI just to mess with a wood stove. I've done that for too many years, thank you very much. Very refreshing for a change from the coast tho'

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - huligirl - 07-07-2006

There is no annoying sound from the geothermal plant. Check it out! This is why people need to go over and do their own homework and discover that some of the urban myths are hilarious. But I vote yes Coqui frogs do go good with loud music! LOL

PS. Hope you enjoy the birds at Uncle Billie's, we did!

Edited by - huligirl on 07/07/2006 09:37:29

Aloha huligirl,

How was your stay at Uncle Billy's? How where the rooms? I know its a small inexpensive hotel, but for what it is how was the service?

Lenny

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - G. Leis - 07-07-2006

Service? Uncle Billy's? Now there's a contradiction in terms :0

Seriously, it's basically a high rise Motel 6 or Super 8 - a 'price only' place to crash. I've certainly stayed in bigger dumps; it's just a bit threadbare and down at the heels. It IS right on Hilo Bay though, so you'll have a nice view.

aloha,
Gene