Punaweb Forum
How real is the rascism ? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How real is the rascism ? (/showthread.php?tid=12950)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: How real is the rascism ? - seventhreads - 01-08-2014

quote:
Originally posted by OrchidIslander

Quote]Originally posted by seventhreads

......you know, in africa, sometimes people there die of many different causes. it could be malaria, a hippo attack, you name it. so while it is true that anywhere from 5-50 million africans perished in the atlantic slave trade, that same amount would have eventually died of natural causes had they stayed on the african continent!

I readily admit that whatever point you are trying to make eludes me. You do realize that, numerically, there is a huge difference between 5 and 50 million anything including Africans. To actually believe that millions between the ranges you provided have perished due to hippo attack is incredulous and strange.

If you are somehow attempting to equate, or justify, the number of people who died in such a miserable fashion in route to an indefensible system of hell on earth because approximately the same amount of people would have probably died partially due to hippo attack if they stayed in Africa anyway - did you really think that one through?

I agree with one of the previous posters who advised you not to share your views with Native Hawaiians. I would suggest that you take that advice to heart and broaden it to include most living people, people of color and specifically the descendents of American slaves like me.

i was being 100% sarcastic, orchid. [:p] thought that was obvious.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - opihikao - 01-08-2014

quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

I've never refused the "ha".
But then, no one's offered it to me yet.

No need offer you "ha", EightFingers, you have it already! [Smile]We all do. This is the best explanation of "ha" that mirrors what our kupuna taught us. Enjoy the day, and your "ha". JMO.

(*Snipped - BBM)

http://www.ancienthuna.com/ha_breathing.htm

Hawai'i isn't just a place in the middle of the Pacific, it's a place inside you -- a place that, wherever you go in the world it is still inside you. You see, what the Hawaiian was saying was, "I live in:

Ha: meaning breath, or breath of life

Wai: meaning water, but also a code word for Mana or life force, and

'I: meaning supreme

But Hawai'i is not just in the Hawaiian Islands, you also carry it with you, and so you can connect with your Hawai'i -- the supreme life's force that rides on the breath, any time, anywhere.

Just stop and take a full breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth with the sound, "Ha." The out-breath is whispered loudly, and is twice as long as the in-breath.

So if you're in traffic, bumper to bumper, and you have to be somewhere, and you're about to rip the bumper off the car with your bare hands: Just stop and take a full breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth with the sound, "Ha," and reconnect with the Hawai'i in you.

If you've had a rough day at the office and you're tired, really tired, but it's only three: Don't take that 14th cup of coffee, forget about it. Just stop and take a full breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth with the sound, "Ha," and reconnect with the Hawai'i in you.

If your kids are raising the roof, and your dog just mangled your 120 dollar Reeboks, and the cat just fur-balled in your bed, and you are about to yell and throw all of them out: Just stop and take a full breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth with the sound, "Ha," and reconnect with the Hawai'i in you.

You're about to go in to see your boss, and you hope he's in a good mood, 'cause the last time he wasn't and that wasn't fun, and you're really anxious: Just stop and take a full breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth with the sound, "Ha," and reconnect with the Hawai'i in you.

Remember -- anywhere, anytime -- you can reconnect with the supreme Mana that rides on your life's breath -- the Hawai'i inside you. Just stop and take a full breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth with the sound, "Ha," and reconnect with the Hawai'i in you. Anyone can -- anytime, anywhere. So wherever you go you can be in the flow of the supreme Mana that rides on the life's breath.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - OrchidIslander - 01-08-2014

quote:
Originally posted by seventhreads

quote:
Originally posted by OrchidIslander

Quote]Originally posted by seventhreads

......you know, in africa, sometimes people there die of many different causes. it could be malaria, a hippo attack, you name it. so while it is true that anywhere from 5-50 million africans perished in the atlantic slave trade, that same amount would have eventually died of natural causes had they stayed on the african continent!

I readily admit that whatever point you are trying to make eludes me. You do realize that, numerically, there is a huge difference between 5 and 50 million anything including Africans. To actually believe that millions between the ranges you provided have perished due to hippo attack is incredulous and strange.

If you are somehow attempting to equate, or justify, the number of people who died in such a miserable fashion in route to an indefensible system of hell on earth because approximately the same amount of people would have probably died partially due to hippo attack if they stayed in Africa anyway - did you really think that one through?

I agree with one of the previous posters who advised you not to share your views with Native Hawaiians. I would suggest that you take that advice to heart and broaden it to include most living people, people of color and specifically the descendents of American slaves like me.

i was being 100% sarcastic, orchid. [:p] thought that was obvious.

Then my apologies to you seventhreads. The sarcasm was lost on me especially after reading some of your earlier posts. I must say I am relieved. Again, apologies.....

RE: How real is the rascism ? - sputnut - 01-08-2014

It was also done to the native Americans by the same people, as well as the blacks. It was a long long long time ago, and there is nobody alive today whose land was stolen, and nobody whose father's land was stolen, for that matter. By the time their father was born, it wasn't their land anymore. ( Everyone on Hawaii came from elsewhere for that matter.) My point? nobody remembers having it before it was taken, so cannot miss it and therefore no cause for complaint.
As was stated previously, it has happened to every race somewhere down through time, and we can't change it now.( my ancestors had their land taken by the British in the early 1200's, should I still hate them?) Point is... Holding onto resentment for something that we personally never went through, and have not met anyone it personally happened to is not helping anyone, but IS harming ourselves. So, why keep doing it? Even if it actually happened to us personally, holding hatred and resentment for it is counterproductive. Racism is ridiculous. It helps nobody.

comin' your way soon!

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Punababa - 01-08-2014

True sputnut , but the effect of those dastardly deeds is still felt by the current generations of native people no question about it, so one cannot get away by saying I feel your pain and continue life as usual, Racism is still practiced in a more subtle and sophisticated way today, natives are not fools anymore or never were. The best way to go forward is to acknowledge the wrong doings, make reparations and some kind of affirmative actions, if we got the dictators in the middle east to pay war reparations, the same with Germany and japan after the war, surely we can do the same for our own people, just lip service and being patronizing to these people will never solve this issue. Let me give you an example there are family farms in this area where I live which were "Homesteads" all they did was put a fence around hundreds of acres of prime land ,used slave labor developed it and generations to this day have prospered, so obviously the current land owners will be prosperous for generations and the landless will be in endemic poverty.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - sputnut - 01-08-2014

I agree that they were wronged. I can't fathom what reparations would be just and fair because all the "haoules" there now aren't to blame and shouldn't be punished as that, too would be wrong. Affirmative action already seems to be in effect, as I keep finding nice homes for sale at half price, IF you can prove you are 50% Native islander.
I'm just saying, we can't undo what is done, so we need to move forward as the one race we are, the human race and put it all behind us.
Before someone asks, we all need to go first at the same time. Yes, I know that's not gonna happen.

comin' your way soon!

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Punababa - 01-09-2014

The stealing of land and resources hurts the natives, but what destroys them is when their culture, religion and identity is destroyed, look at history what invaders do, first they loot the treasures then they destroy their temples and the intelligentsia ( priests) , once this happens the people forever will be in bondage till they form a new identity, or embrace the identity of the invaders or till their old one is restored, in this case yes they have given a token amount back but what the state has to do is go all out and restore their , culture religion, language , this will give them their pride, in return peace and harmony comes back to the people again.

This the Simplified speech of Lord Macaulay to British parlaiment in 1835 "I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in the country, such high moral values, people of such caliber, that I do not think we would conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self esteem, their native culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."
For the sake of accuracy i have the the actual speech in classical english is "I accept catholic beyond the across and across of India and I accept not apparent one getting who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such abundance I accept apparent in this country, such top moral values, humans of such caliber, that I do not anticipate we would anytime beat this country, unless we breach the actual courage of this nation, which is her airy and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I adduce that we alter her old and age-old apprenticeship system, her culture, for if the Indians anticipate that all that is adopted and English is acceptable and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their built-in self-culture and they will become what we ambition them, a absolutely bedeviled nation."

RE: How real is the rascism ? - PaulW - 01-09-2014

Fake. http://historydetox.com/the-macaulay-fraud/

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Rob Tucker - 01-09-2014

The history lessons are interesting but not Puna/Hawaii specific.

Please bring it home.

Personally I prefer to listen to Hawaiians about their history and how they feel about it. 120 years is much closer to current events than most
cultures and the memories are still relatively fresh.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Punababa - 01-09-2014

Agree Rob , will not get into history further, the point is the culture , traditions, langauge of the Hawaiian people are very important to the people, its thier roots and identity till the ethos of the people are restored it will be like a tree that is uprooted surviving with just a few threads of roots still holding on to the soil.

“petitor veritatis” one who seeks the truth