Punaweb Forum
Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK (/showthread.php?tid=20641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - HappyD - 02-07-2019

quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim

Tourism is an important part of the economy but that doesn't mean we have to sell out every place just for a buck or let people do ridiculous crap. They like tourist money at the Louvre but they don't let you pee on the statues and post it on Facebook...Why can't we have dignity and groceries too?

Hello Pilgrim and Puna! I have been lurking a few days doing some homework. I just thought it maybe interesting to you to see how far the Louvre will sell out. Check out Beyonce's Ape**** video on Youtube. I tend to believe that one of America's most influential contributions to the world is the unwavering pursuit of money at all costs. It tends to follow when over 70% of our economy is based on consumption

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - glinda - 02-07-2019

Hawaiian complaints about abuse of natural resources are highly biased

As are all complaints by anyone always bias to one degree or another to their point of view. That alone is just what it is, no news there. I mean gee, all the opinions here are bias too. After all, they're opinions.

What is striking, to me, is the timing of this unfortunate paragraph in the longed winded discussion of how the mauna is being managed, and the many voices all clamoring for their point of view to be heard.

I imagine the folks at the university and elsewhere that have been under assault with regards their management practices of the mountain nearly sh*t their pants when this little episode broke. Some management eh?

One point of view or another, I suspect the video did more to advance the concerns of those that want greater appreciation of the Hawaiian's perspective than all the hullabaloo, the chanting and protest, did all those many months ago. Hawaii gov is, as noted repeatedly, sort of hung up on micro managing behavior, as such this video just rubbed it in their face.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Pilgrim - 02-07-2019

quote:
I just thought it maybe interesting to you to see how far the Louvre will sell out. Check out Beyonce's Ape**** video on Youtube.

Ha ha ha! Good one! I guess it only costs about 18k to film at the Louvre (according to the NY Times). As you mention I'm sure that someone would certainly try and cash in on Beyonce's music video money here too if they could but I think our sharp lava might be too rough on the backup dancers. ;>

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 02-07-2019

Some management eh?

How would you stop the incident?
The area is open to the public.
Would you prefer kalahoa’s idea of installing a gate?

“I think your article has been interpreted as that you were OK with dwarf-tossing.” - Sen Mazie Hirono 2/5/19, questioning the qualifications of a judicial nominee, perhaps with empathy for the Menehune, and their historical plight

Gee, I don't know. I am just amazed by the timing. Sort of a perfect moment to be hit by such a random act. And, glad it ain't my kuleana. Though I do derive some humor from the image of some underling running into the UH chancellors office screaming you "you gotta see this" as they grab the computer's mouse and dial up the vid on YouTube.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Guest - 02-07-2019

^ yeps ^

" I dare say, old chap, this is is rather inconvenient. "

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - randomq - 02-07-2019

Sacred dirt. Don't damage the dirt. What a load of ... dirt.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Guest - 02-07-2019

quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

Some management eh?

Tmpathy for the Menehune, and their historical plight [/i][/size=1]

Stop it, you ask?

I wouldn't stop it.

If people want to ski on MK's "dirt", more power to them. Better than someone "worshiping" it, and then demanding that their holding of it as "sacred" somehow translates into an obligation on everyone else to stay off.

What's next? Some jackball going to claim the ocean is sacred to them and then demanding everyone stay off?

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Rob Tucker - 02-07-2019

I think a bit more respect for Hawaiian culture is required. I don't know where these yahoos were skiing but there are lua kupapa`u up there.

I wouldn't stop it.

I always find this posters lack of understand of our local issues to be like a running sidebar of Gary Larson comics. Oh the irony of someone that "just don't get it" going on and on like some bull in a china shop, full of bold statements an all.

Besides all the other issues I imagine nobody at the observatories want this type of activity either. They go a long way to maintain their equipment in rather demanding circumstances. As such all the dust those guys kicked up, especially if it was repeated over and over, would (I imagine) put an extra burden on their efforts, if not down right seriously impair them.

But hey, our insensitive visitor thinks the whole world is his ouster and to hell with the rest of us. Which, I imagine, is a general consensus of his type.