Punaweb Forum
Restrictions to continue! - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Restrictions to continue! (/showthread.php?tid=22475)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Restrictions to continue! - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-10-2021

what do these priorities suggest?

Jobs for the average resident of Hawaii! Like yard workers, house cleaners, detailing private jets, even translators?

RE: Restrictions to continue! - malahini - 11-11-2021

(11-10-2021, 11:18 PM)kalakoa Wrote: The important thing to understand is that people are willing to tolerate all manner of inconvenience just to live in Hawaii simply because it's Hawaii. Government can keep raising taxes, because more people will move here to replace the ones who give up. For many tourists, Hawaii is a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. The side effect of all this is that Hawaii simply doesn't have to do anything it doesn't want to. Bad roads and eternal congestion? Too bad, consider yourself lucky that you get to enjoy these problems ... in Hawaii.

I tolerated insane inconveniences to move here, under the false impression this would all be lifted by spring.

No one I spoke with thought we would still be under Ige's thumb this long.

I had no intentions of even paying attention to politics here. I knew it was bad, but the depths to which it is bad...

If it was just the masks it would be one thing, but getting nagged by someone to put on hand sanitizer when I walk into some place when my skin is cracking and dry... combined with the endless theater of spraying quats on all surfaces every 5 minutes like this is going to do anything to stop the spread of an airborne disease... Covid case headlines every single day in every single newspaper... On the radio... you can't escape it here.

The thieves here wore masks to hide their faces when they tried to steal my car!!! Whenever I see someone outside with a mask I assume they are criminals hiding their faces. A group of them were in the jungle around here a few months back. But what am I going to call the cops on them about? Wearing masks?

What happened to super bacteria? If it doesn't even likely spread much if at all on surfaces, why the hell is everyone so focused on this? Isn't this bad long term and won't this create bacteria resistant to everything we're using constantly?

As far as feeling safe... I'm feeling very, very much the opposite at this point.

At the very least I will be here to vote next November. Probably have no chance to change anything, but with how unpopular the ruling party currently is... Maybe something will change.

I'm not sure I fully get the voting demographics here, maybe someone can explain them to me.

The main thing I've heard is that almost no one votes here. I wonder if all of this won't create a bunch of first time voters though. I mean, I have only voted twice in my life. Once in an open primary, and another in a general.

Ige has turned me into a card carrying Republican now though. I never thought I'd see the day.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-11-2021

malahini,

You certainly have a lot of 1st world Hawaii problems.

I recommend you visit a 3rd world country, anywhere in the world for a month or two.  Experience their lack of food, clean water, medical care, pretty much all of the basics of life that we generally take for granted. Perhaps you'll get lucky and bump into a petty dictator who inflicts a real reign of terror on his citizens.  

Then come back to Hawaii.  You'll probably find everything here has somehow vastly improved during the time you were away.

(11-11-2021, 12:42 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: malahini,

You certainly have a lot of 1st world Hawaii problems.

I recommend you visit a 3rd world country, anywhere in the world for a month or two.  Experience their lack of food, clean water, medical care, pretty much all of the basics of life that we generally take for granted. Perhaps you'll get lucky and bump into a petty dictator who inflicts a real reign of terror on his citizens.  

Then come back to Hawaii.  You'll probably find everything here has somehow vastly improved during the time you were away.

I don't live in a third world country. It's a first world reign of terror. Wink

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kalakoa - 11-11-2021

I tolerated insane inconveniences to move here, under the false impression this would all be lifted by spring.

Spring of what year?

I'm not sure I fully get the voting demographics here, maybe someone can explain them to me.

Oahu has enough population to carry the majority vote for Governor and to have the Governor listen to what they want.

Per Char and Miscovich, "as long as people remain unvaccinated" we stand the risk of another surge or spike "because people will gather for the holidays". Remain vigilant and be sure to comply with new lockdowns, comrade.

This past spring, after the most at risk population was vaccinated.

Yeah I get that re: Oahu. It's more just who exactly there votes? How many pissed off new voters would it take to swing an election?

They can keep moving the goalposts forever. I'm not confident that we will not have another large spike after 90% of the population is vaccinated. Just lower hospitalizations, if we're lucky. Green is deluding himself I think.

Next it will be the anti-viral pills... then the next ting and next thing...

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kalakoa - 11-11-2021

just who exactly there votes?

Ultra-conservative risk-averse people who only care about the price of rice and that their taxes don't go up too much all at once. Hawaii isn't really "blue" like it claims.

How many pissed off new voters would it take to swing an election?

Irrelevant because none of the alternatives are an improvement.

after 90% of the population is vaccinated

We will never achieve 90% vaccination.

They can keep moving the goalposts forever.

There's no need; Ige has already stated that "there is no single metric". Instead, he follows the consensus of unspecified "experts", discussed in meetings which are closed to the public.

No guarantee that another state will be better, but the big difference is that you can always drive somewhere with different restrictions, and you don't have to register with the State for permission to return home.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-11-2021

No guarantee that another state will be better, 

If you build it, will they come?

I’ve seen people construct giant rafts with used plastic bottles lashed together for a floatation device.  They build houses on them, plant trees, and gardens.  It would be a more useful method of recycling than HI-5.

Set up a collection point at the Maku’u Market.  When you get a million or a billion bottles start building and when it’s large enough tow it offshore.  Anyone who donates 10,000 bottles to the cause is a citizen of the new Free State Of Puna, and can build a hut, plant one coconut tree, and some sweet potatoes.

Heaven.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - kander - 11-11-2021

(11-11-2021, 02:18 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: No guarantee that another state will be better, 

If you build it, will they come?

I’ve seen people construct giant rafts with used plastic bottles lashed together for a floatation device.  They build houses on them, plant trees, and gardens.  It would be a more useful method of recycling than HI-5.

Set up a collection point at the Maku’u Market.  When you get a million or a billion bottles start building and when it’s large enough tow it offshore.  Anyone who donates 10,000 bottles to the cause is a citizen of the new Free State Of Puna, and can build a hut, plant one coconut tree, and some sweet potatoes.

Heaven.
Im not sure Water world is what was in mind. I think there are at least a half dozen states that seem to be economically back on the mend and without everyone running around thinking they are going to die at the slightest sniffle. Does that mean they wont go all covnazi at some point in the future? Who knows. But if countries like Australia are any kind of example of what is in store for for the rest of the country it brings a cold shiver down the spine.
The mainland is just in time delivery of food and stuffs is 3 days. Hawaii is 2 weeks. The supply chain issues being caused by mandating vax to enter a port is not doing anything but cause problems. In conjunction with all the other stuff being done whats coming is not going to be good. Everyone can see it already when they buy anything. The rarity, and price will increase drastically.  I digress. Making a plastic trash island might be romantic but how long do you think they would allow you keep it.

RE: Restrictions to continue! - Punaperson - 11-11-2021

malahini: you wrote in an earlier post that you moved here less than a year ago.  You would not be the first person who found that expectation and reality did not match, and moved back to the mainland.

“I don't live in a third world country. It's a first world reign of terror.”
??? You chose to move to Puna, remote, with its lack of infrastructure, government services, medical facilities, etc., and thought you were in a first world area?  This may have been your primary mistake.  Puna is a small, inconsequential voice when it comes to how things are done in the state.

“Unfortunately I can't leave here. I spent too much money and went through too much trouble…”
That’s poor planning on your part. There are many, many websites that deal with moving here: most of them recommend having enough $ to move back when things don’t work out.

“I just don't understand how anyone still takes this [covid] seriously at all any more.”
When the delta surge caused a good friend to have to fly to California for surgery because the hospitals here were full, when my own medical procedures are on hold,  again due to the backlog caused by the delta surge, then yes, many of us still take it seriously.  Wearing a mask is a protection for others - your neighbors, your community.

“I tolerated insane inconveniences to move here..."
"I'm sick of living on plague island.”
Your whining is just that - whining.  And it’s tiresome.

“I just don't care anymore. A few weeks ago my family got sick, we didn't get tested and we went out anyway. Sue me."
"I am going to try my best to get it and spread it as much as possible."
"I wonder what would happen if I walked into the middle of a store, took my mask off, and just started coughing loudly.”
Punawebbers, I need your help here.  Another poster called these a ‘dick move’, with which I totally agree.  But, does acting in a way that  is deliberately aimed at harming the larger community fall under the definition of ‘sociopath’ or ‘psychopath’ ?

“But I really do wish I could go back to the mainland…”
I don’t think you are alone in that sentiment.