Punaweb Forum
Superferry Pros and Cons... - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Superferry Pros and Cons... (/showthread.php?tid=519)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - Rob Tucker - 08-23-2007

I got a rumor that the Super Ferry is shut down by the courts. Should be in tomorrow's paper.....

Punaweb moderator

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - JerryCarr - 08-23-2007

Carrie, the rough seas situation was just one reason they didn't bring HSF to Hilo. The other was the length of the journey. Apparently they thought were already stretching what the Hawaii market could stand in the duration department just going as far as Kawaihae.

As far as the court ruling this evening goes, it will be interesting to see if they are allowed to operate while they possibly appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court and/or get the EIS done. Whichever way it goes, it should be interesting.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - hilodiver - 08-23-2007

As a freediver and fisherman, I am not looking forward to all the fishermen from Oahu coming to our shorelines. It's nothing against them, but I don't want to see our reefs become like Oahu's. Oahu's inshore reefs are baron and the Opihi are pretty much non existent. No, I am not from the Big Island so I shouldn't be the one to grumble, but these plentiful reefs provide food for my family and I never take more than we can consume in one meal.
As for the Strykers, the Army has its own barge that transports most of it's heavy equipment. I'm not sure, but I think they will probably continue to use this barge to transport their Strykers.

Aloha!

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - Carolann R - 08-23-2007

The news said because of the lack of proper invasive species studies the HSF could be shut down "indefinitely." They stated it could be "weeks or even years." There are also infrastructure requirements that were failed to be done at the docking areas such as traffic lights and street repaving and striping...you'd think they'd have that all prepared before the ferry got here.

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - rbonplaza - 08-24-2007

In the news: http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/24/news/story01.html

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - macuu222 - 08-24-2007

quote:
"There are also infrastructure requirements that were failed to be done at the docking areas such as traffic lights and street repaving and striping...you'd think they'd have that all prepared before the ferry got here.

Carrie

This is Hawaii....Things here are more laid back than the mainland and that includes our labor force. Look how long the state took to finish the H1 Hwy improvements near the Honolulu Airport.

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - Genxor - 08-24-2007

If the Maui judge ruled in favor the first go around most likely it will either be the same decision or a middle ground - allowing the ferry to operate while an impact study is done.

I'm with Bob though. It is about tourist, not locals. I wonder if the rental car companies would allow the cars to be ferried from Oahu to Maui. Probably not due to insurance and liability over water.

Invasive species aren't a negative to all people ..... did you see how the environmentalists - of some sort - were up in arms because city / state crews were cutting down Albezia trees on Oahu so they would not fall in highway ?

Anyway, they reached an accord with the tree group.

Sometimes things are taken a bit too far and sound reasoning is lost.

Greg

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - Carolann R - 08-24-2007

It was surprising about the albezia trees. Having a love/hate relationship with them...don't want 'em on my property or falling on my moving car, but they sure are pretty. I didn't think an arborist group would support them since they are invasive, though.

Good to see that they will remove the parts of the trees which are threatening and leave the rest of the canopy which won't cause harm.

Carrie

"All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it." Bob Newhart

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - Tahunatics - 08-24-2007

The Superferry will be at the Big Island tomorrow for an Open House at Kawaihae Harbor for anyone interested in checking it out.

http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=141143

Here's an invitation they sent out with a link for reservations:

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Aloha Newsletter Subscribers,

On behalf of Hawaii Superferry, we would like to offer you and your family a special opportunity to come aboard our first ship, the Alakai, for a preview of the vessel.

On Saturday, August 25th an open house will be held on the Island of Hawai‘i at Kawaihae Harbor. A limited number of spaces have been reserved for our newsletter subscribers on a first come, first serve basis.

Please click the link below for more information on the event, and to register you and your family. Reservations will go quickly and space is limited - so we encourage you to register today!

Click here to reserve your space today:

http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=141143

Mahalo for your support of Hawaii Superferry, we look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,
John L. Garibaldi
President and Chief Executive Officer

RE: Superferry Pros and Cons... - Tahunatics - 08-24-2007

and Maui is West Orange County.

I did a sample reservation from Oahu to Maui for a weekend with a car for two people and it's almost $500 with all the fuel surcharges!

$483.72 is your total price for this voyage
Voyage Summary
Depart Route Vessel Arrive
8/31/2007 6:30 AM Oahu, Honolulu / Maui, Kahului Alakai 8/31/2007 9:30 AM
9/2/2007 11:00 AM Maui, Kahului / Oahu, Honolulu Alakai 9/2/2007 2:00 PM
Pricing Summary
Description Price Qty Total
Departure Voyage
Adults 56.25 2 112.50
Car or SUV (up to 17' long) 60.94 1 60.94
Fuel Surcharge Adult (?) 17.33 2 34.66
Fuel Surcharge Car or SUV (?) 18.77 1 18.77