Punaweb Forum
TMT groundbreaking - live - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: TMT groundbreaking - live (/showthread.php?tid=14781)

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - ironyak - 04-17-2015

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/04/17/thirty-meter-telescope-construct-delayed-yet-again/

Construction on the Thirty Meter Telescope has been delayed again, according to the office of Governor David Ige.

“Today, the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) leadership informed me that construction will continue to be postponed,” the governor stated. “Any further announcements about the construction schedule will come from TMT.”

This is the third time construction has been postponed since the “protectors” began their blockade of the Mauna Kea Access Road. The last postponement, announced while the governor was in Hilo for the Merrie Monarch Festival, was set to end on Monday. Opponents of the project – who voiced their opinion to the University of Hawaii Board of Regents on Thursday, loud and clear – were gearing up for another possible showdown.

On April 2, mass arrests were carried out on the sacred mountain in an attempt to clear the blocked road for TMT. However, the incident only strengthened state-wide opposition.

"My understanding is that TMT followed an almost 7 year planning and permitting process, which included public hearings and community input. Following this process, project permits were issued. The TMT team is legally entitled to use its discretion to proceed with construction.
I understand that not everyone will agree with this and recognize and respect their right to appeal through the court system."
Governor David Ige via media release

No word on how long this latest postponement will last.

"We have used this time to listen and learn about Maunakea from various stakeholders. I learned about other issues that need our attention to create and implement a better plan for the stewardship of Maunakea. This may include:
– Decommissioning and removing older telescopes and facilities to restore the summit
– Reducing the level of activity on the summit
– Integrating culture and science
My administration will be working with the University of Hawai‘i, the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and the community to actively pursue these outcomes."
Governor David Ige via media release

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - lavalava - 04-17-2015

Yet more welfare...

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - dmbwest - 04-17-2015

I love camping at altitude ...

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - TomK - 04-17-2015

PunaMauka2,

Enough with the flowery and pretentious wording:

http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/

You can make a point much better if you don't come across as someone in fairy land.

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - SuperGu - 04-18-2015

quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/04/17/thirty-meter-telescope-construct-delayed-yet-again/ Construction on the Thirty Meter Telescope has been delayed again, according to the office of Governor David Ige.

I'm not surprised. Elections have consequences.

* ALOHA *

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - Punaperson - 04-18-2015

A practical question brought up by another thread:

There have been 100 protesters on the mountain for 3 weeks. What are they using for bathroom facilities? Did they bring camping toilets ? Did they dig latrine pits ? Are they ' polluting the watershed ' ?

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - PunaMauka2 - 04-18-2015

Tom K, at least an improvement from your previous narcotic abuse ...innuendo. strictly speaking as a fellow participant here i would dare suggest you may want to reconsider where you draw the line when throwing a momentary fit in a small community forum. not all may have taken the typical online precautions with their user name and email address nor take that particular brand of potentially real-life damaging remark so lightly. not to make a mountain out of a molehill.... but easy there chap.

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - Mtviewdude - 04-18-2015

quote:
Originally posted by Punaperson

There have been 100 protesters on the mountain for 3 weeks. What are they using for bathroom facilities? Did they bring camping toilets ? Did they dig latrine pits ? Are they ' polluting the watershed ' ?

Don't forget about the temporary facilities that were built to support the protesters (tents/hale). It only ever seems to be desecration when non hawaiians do it.

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - Chunkster - 04-18-2015

quote:

They don't want that question asked. I have a strong feeling it's not even legal to camp up there at all, regardless of whatever "facilities" are used.

This whole situation took a bad turn when the Honolulu politicians joined the fray. The Hawaii County authorities, after patiently waiting a few days and issuing warnings, arrested about 30 demonstrators for illegally blocking the summit access road. This was done in a very humane manner.

Then the good old boy governor got involved and we get this rolling delay. So far the TMT management has gone along with this, despite having met every legal obligation through seven years of permit hearings, appeals, and court challenges. They need to insist on their right to begin construction, even if that means going to court for a non-interference injunction. At some point the protesters will run out of people willing to be arrested.

RE: TMT groundbreaking - live - OnoOno - 04-18-2015

quote:
Originally posted by Mtviewdude

quote:

Don't forget about the temporary facilities that were built to support the protesters (tents/hale). It only ever seems to be desecration when non hawaiians do it.

For a state in a country that prides itself on not paying attention to race, creed or origin, there seems to be a lot of just that on the part of those claiming special rights as "Hawaiians" or Kanakas or whatever.

Calender check time - Yep 2015 - time to get over it and move forward.

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!