Punaweb Forum
Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" (/showthread.php?tid=12418)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - Guest - 08-24-2013

Most of my private schooling was paid for by private voluntary scholarships, gasp! I do believe that we are supposed to take care of those less fortunate then ourselves, thats why I CHOOSE to do it, including donating back to the same private scholarships that helped me. Force is not benevolent charity, its force. We had a massive privately sourced road system in most of this countries history, worked fine and kept a diverse network of regions and towns healthy, the same cannot be said about our highway system. We also had a healthy private railway system that was destroyed by government and big business colluding around the highways. I am not actually against local governments building roads, despite the fact that I still think it is accomplished with violence. I have to be somewhat practical.

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - malolo - 08-24-2013

John Kay (of Steppenwolf fame for those Boomers out there who recall) has some thoughts (and a rolicking riff) that somehow seem relevant to the current discourse:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3GbQ6G1tY-w&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3GbQ6G1tY-w

Can't clean our house throwing dirt at one another
Can't hear reason while we shout and we accuse
We cast the blame and point fingers at each other
And wonder why no one will call a truce
Ask any child past the age of four
It takes everyone to keep the peace, just one to start a war
Ain't that a shame, Ain't that a shame?
No matter how much we complain, things stay the same
Ain't that a shame, Ain't that a shame?
Now are things bad enough, are we mad enough to make a change?

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - Kapohocat - 08-24-2013

Afwjam - Lucky we live in Hawaii!

It could be like this - http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/4-year-old-girls-vegetable-garden-must-go-says-usda/

I wonder if gardens are prohibited in the subsidized housing in Pepeekeo too?

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - Guest - 08-24-2013

Yup, thats crazy. Just like arresting 7 year olds with lemonade stands because they did not get permits or pay taxes. That **** is making its way here quick like a bunny though.

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - steve1 - 08-24-2013

Back to the initial premise, that all those overpaid and under-worked baby boomers should just give their social security checks back to the government. Is anyone really taking this seriously at all?

Wouldn't it be more likely that money will start falling out of the sky, so all poor people should just stand around and keep looking up and waiting for it to fall?

If anyone wants to donate any money to help people out you would clearly do better by either direct donation, subsidizing a scholarship or providing low-interest loans for entrepreneurship.

Giving money back to governments no strings attached is about as pragmatic and effective as burning it.

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - unknownjulie - 08-24-2013

Punaweb is quite obviously not the greatest match for my rants about the wealthy, but I live here so I am using it. Older people taking social security that they dont "need" is not the entire problem at all, but they are a huge portion of the population right now- the proverbial pig in the python- so whatever they do can make a big difference. Hawaii has huge amounts of older wealthy people here. Does anyone dispute that? I am just glad some of that money is somehow given back in the form of various assistance, and I do not like over and over hearing about how "lazy" the young people are. Some people have just given up. They have just lost all motivation. Things have gotten so hard for some people that they will retreat and be "happy" with their 1,000 SSDI check - or whatever. They are no longer a contibuting member of society, but something happens in their minds - prior to them actually reaching that behavioral point. I believe that hearing for years "over an over" how "sluggish" or "lazy" of whatever negative traits are assigned to the younger gerations- repeated, has an effect. I would say IMO that about 25% of the people gettting social security checks dont really "need" that money. That is my own personal opinion. Everyone will have a different opinion and that's why there are message boards like this. I also actually find it hilarious that this is put into some "context of me not having respect for my elders" when some of the baby boomers are barely 10 yrs older than me. I think it's more like I see a sibling with their hand in the cookie jar or something.

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - unknownjulie - 08-24-2013

I was speaking at length today with someone who was making more money per year 25 yrs ago, than they make now. This was back when the state basically "gave you free money" (I had a state job then too) in the form of benefits. I dont know what is going to happen and hopefully, I will get a job soon, so I dont have to rant anymore on a message board. I will be too busy! The state jobs back then weren't called "entitlements" they were called "good salaries, and retirements".

RE: Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state" - David M - 08-24-2013

AAmazing. - you are expecting to be allowed, even respected for your opinions???? I think NOT. Not in this case, you do not have a clue to reality.

Out of respect for other PWebbers, I will not voice what I really think of your selfish drivel.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com

What exactly is selfish about pointing out that the people retiring today statistically, are more likely taking out what they put into the system, and also, asking people to consider if they "really need" to be taking money out of the system that might be better spent somewhere else?

Meant to say, "taking more out of the system, than they put in".