Punaweb Forum
How real is the rascism ? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How real is the rascism ? (/showthread.php?tid=12950)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: How real is the rascism ? - PaulW - 01-09-2014

Seeker of Truth, please remove that bogus quote.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Guest - 01-09-2014

Some thoughts -

Britain has conquered all but 22 countries in the world.

Hawaii is an island, made from a volcano that was inhabited. NO ONE is from Hawaii. EVERY one came to that island.

Culture is important, and it is up to people to remember and pass it down to the youth. Should be respected by all.

We need to think on a global scale. PLEASE watch this - www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Bullwinkle - 01-09-2014

Racism.... having spent much of my youth in "better" hoods, and working life in the opposite - ive seen every kind of ism you can imagine....

the new one ranks folks by their ability to repay debt - legally if I may toss the first brick (we always seem to need an underclass)

its refreshing in an odd way to rarely encounter the reverse in a perverted way I guess - but that has been my take

mostly driven by ignorance or some defensive mechanism in my opinion - skin color of the perpetrator least of the traits....

its about the Aloha - that sucked me in ....

Hawaiian Culture:

I like Martha Beckwith as a really good place to start the exploration:

http://vcencyclopedia.vassar.edu/faculty/prominent-faculty/martha-beckwith.html

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Punababa - 01-09-2014

The verbatim quote is “disputable” I knew that before I posted it, but the gist is very accurate, that is from the imperialist text book 101 on how to dominate and subjugate a nation or tribe, am not lambasting a particular imperialist power there have been scores of them across all continents in our human history, this is a common theme for all of them and this is the truth.

“petitor veritatis” one who seeks the truth

" There… we were aware always of a life just out of reach of us late comers but lived intensely by the kindly, generous race who had chanced so many centuries ago upon its shores....""

Thanks Martha

RE: How real is the rascism ? - MarkP - 01-09-2014

I used to work with an engineer who iss 50% native Hawaiian. That makes him more Hawaiian than most. He has a pretty light complexion so back in school he got picked on for being "haole". Ironic. He has a beautiful house in Hawaii Loa Ridge. I wonder how he would feel about the concept of "fixing" the broken system that brought him to where he is today. Should the title to his house be re-evaluated? Perhaps he would get a reprieve, that is if the worthy people who used to beat him up as a kid because he wasn't local enough, who ironically were less local than he, decide that this time around he should get a break because of his race. I suspect they would not. I suspect that those people who clamor most loudly about injustice, the need for reparations, and the advisability of overturning the apple cart do so mostly because they are at the bottom of the heap and race is just what is convenient.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Punababa - 01-09-2014

"Classic Divide and Conquer strategy"

“petitor veritatis” one who seeks the truth

RE: How real is the rascism ? - Guest - 01-09-2014

quote:
Originally posted by MarkP

I used to work with an engineer who iss 50% native Hawaiian. That makes him more Hawaiian than most. He has a pretty light complexion so back in school he got picked on for being "haole". Ironic. He has a beautiful house in Hawaii Loa Ridge. I wonder how he would feel about the concept of "fixing" the broken system that brought him to where he is today. Should the title to his house be re-evaluated? Perhaps he would get a reprieve, that is if the worthy people who used to beat him up as a kid because he wasn't local enough, who ironically were less local than he, decide that this time around he should get a break because of his race. I suspect they would not. I suspect that those people who clamor most loudly about injustice, the need for reparations, and the advisability of overturning the apple cart do so mostly because they are at the bottom of the heap and race is just what is convenient.

Rings true.

RE: How real is the rascism ? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-09-2014

This thread began as a question about racism in the islands.
Then it was suggested that it is not so much racism as resentment toward non-Hawaiians for taking land from the Hawaiian people.

I mentioned before that the land transfer was a complex issue, much more involved than simple catch phrases can explain. Here's a little more about the Great Mahele, the time when the king agreed to allow ownership of land for the first time. (from pages 126-128 of Gavan Daws book Shoal of Time):

In the end something like 10,000 kuleana claims were awarded to commoners, for about 30,000 acres of good agricultural land, as compared with chief's land of 1 1/2 million acres, (Hawaiian) government land of about the same extent, and crown lands of not quite a million acres.
For the Hawaiian commoners it was the beginning of the end. In their first exercise of free choice they choose to uproot themselves. They were liberated at last from the burdensome tax payments to the chiefs that had kept them tied to the land, and most of them found more interesting things to do than grow taro, which required a long time and a lot of hard work. Once the commoner was free to buy land he was also free to sell it. So the great division became the great dispossession.