Punaweb Forum
Poof - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Poof (/showthread.php?tid=18208)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Poof - TomK - 04-02-2017

There are local astronomers that work on the mountain and the TMT has already provided an awful lot of money to local education. Gypsy, as ever, is not telling the truth.

When, and if, Gypsy decides to move to the US mainland, I hope he follows his own philosophy of providing the people in the state he moves to with resources and funds to help their families.

RE: Poof - alaskyn66 - 04-02-2017

In the meanwhile.. civilization moves forward.. call it our prime directive if you will.. to colonize other planets. yet some hold the belief that earth is all we need.I don't understand that mentality.

It's just a matter of time before the earth is hit with another extinction level comet/ asteroid. Or we produce so many people. We couldnt feed ourselves.( we can barely now)..

It's backwards thinking that will always keep us at a type 0 civilization.

RE: Poof - randomq - 04-02-2017

Alaskyn66, way way back in my culture, the planets were the chariots of the gods. I would not want to anger Mars, the god of war, for example. So you're gonna have to forget about colonizing other planets. My cultures historical beliefs obviously trump any present day needs of yours. If you have any questions about this, consult your elderly relatives. In our modern fast moving world, they usually know what's best.

RE: Poof - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-02-2017

one of my arguments is that UHH... should have already been a world class institution if they wanted to make Mauna Kea the astronomy capital of the world and home of the TMT project.

if the state wants to have Puna the home of Geothermal power plants... they should build a large hospital close to Pahoa and have open health studies

gypsy, these are not real world expectations:

* Does Cape Canaveral have a college for rocket scientists nearby?
* Is Appalachia dotted with Mayo Clinics to diagnose and treat the lung aliments of coal miners?

Canadians were going to get hundreds of high-tech well paying jobs and hawaii was going to get some of the construction jobs, not all. ...UHH is not comparable to Cal Berkley. Not even sure that 50% graduate or can get their master's or Phd's at UHH in Hilo.

There are good schools on Big Island and Hawaii. There are bubble schools within the public school system for dedicated students, and excellent private schools such as St Mary's, Kamehameha, and HPA. After that, a student can attend a college specializing in his/her field to get the best possible education.

It's not the schools that prevent higher education in Hawaii, it's generally the student.

Here's a guy who was paid $10,000 to move to Big Island for his job. If you're qualified, the same company will pay you $10,000 to move wherever you like so you can work remotely for them:

For Monsef, home was Waimea, Hawaii — a small rural town on the Big Island, with more cows than people. He likens it to "middle America," but on the most isolated island chain in the world. Zapier was the perfect fit, he said, allowing him to pursue an exciting career while creating the lifestyle he wants ...
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/29/tech-start-up-work-from-hawaii-get-paid-to-move.html

Stay in school kids.
Get a job.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

RE: Poof - kalakoa - 04-02-2017

UHH... should have already been a world class institution if they wanted to make Mauna Kea the astronomy capital

So we shouldn't build TMT because State mismanages the university?

hawaii was going to get some of the construction jobs, not all.

So there's no point in allowing investment unless we get "all" the jobs?

It's just a matter of time before the earth is hit with another extinction level comet/ asteroid

At this rate we'll do ourselves in long before that happens. Good riddance. Nature will start over.

Here's a guy who was paid $10,000 to move to Big Island for his job.

If I could afford 40 acres in Waimea, I wouldn't need a job, or an extra $10K.

However, "taxing remote workers" is one of the few industries we have left...

RE: Poof - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-02-2017

"taxing remote workers" is one of the few industries we have left...

Remote workers may also be one of the last few high tech employment opportunities available on the island.
Protectors can't find remote workers in order to protest their resentment toward those well paid and employed residents. Who pay taxes.

You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

Remote workers may also be one of the last few high tech employment opportunities available on the island.

If they can find broadband.