Punaweb Forum
Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK (/showthread.php?tid=20641)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - glinda - 02-07-2019

I think a bit more respect for Hawaiian culture is required.

Amen. Thanks for pointing it out Rob

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - kalakoa - 02-07-2019

a perfect moment to be hit by such a random act

More likely a "false flag" operation rather than a coincidence.

The area is open to the public.

An oversight which will soon be corrected.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - MarkP - 02-07-2019

Rob continues to be a voice of reason. Nevertheless I would like to point out that the original complainants did not mention lua kupapa'u. To properly evaluate the merit of the original claim you should not bring this point up now. Similarly they seemed unconcerned about dust being kicked up.

There is nothing to go on to separate these acts from the decades of frolicking in the snow and sliding down random slopes that have gone on before without the present claimants raising any alarm. That's the point in my mind. The complaint is being made now because it is politically convenient. I suppose I should admit for the sake of full disclosure that wile I think I am reasonably respectful of other cultures including Hawaiian culture I first of all do not think the TMT protesters are reflecting traditional Hawaiian culture so calling them crackpots is not saying anything one way or the other about Hawaiian culture. Second, nobody gets an unlimited pass on foolishness. If this truly does represent modern Hawaiian culture well it is what it is and it is appropriate to call it so.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Guest - 02-07-2019

As funny as it is / was, the dirt lady I opine the was shooting from the hip. I would bet everyone she knows is busting her right now and she wishing she could go back and more eloquently voice her views which she intended with a sincere heart.

quote:
But hey, our insensitive visitor thinks the whole world is his ouster and to hell with the rest of us. Which, I imagine, is a general consensus of his type.

You guys remind me of the Hatfield and McCoys getting into a blood feud over some silly-ass, backwards hillbilly deal.

It is well past time for these Polynesian hillbillies to move into the 21st entry.

No mountain is sacred. Some small piece, well okay, an Acre, maybe, but you think the world should sidestep whatever piece of real estate you deem or pretend is sacred, in perpetuity. Really. What other group in the country gets to keep people off of some land that they don't own because they claim it's sacred?

I think my Second Amendment rights are sacred. Do you even consider for a moment respecting them. It's a one-way street with these luddites and it is time for it to stop.

Hawaii joined the US., the US didn't join Hawaii. Time to act like it!

As far as being an outsider, you are so blinded by the bark, pine cones and needles you can't see the forest. An outside perspective is EXACTLY what you need.

BTW, the word is OYSTER, and you are accusing the wrong side of this issue of that. It's the Polynesian Hillbillies who think the world is their (Sacred) Oyster that is the problem, NOT me pointing it out!

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

a perfect moment to be hit by such a random act

More likely a "false flag" operation rather than a coincidence.

The area is open to the public.

An oversight which will soon be corrected.

That would be the absolute worst thing to do. Capitulation to Hillbilly-backwardness in a Hula skirt!!

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - Rob Tucker - 02-07-2019

It is my opinion that you would not flourish here. I recommend you stay where you are. BTW, you have no 1st Amendment rights here on Punaweb. You have the rights I allow you.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Probably not. Couldn't put up with the BS.

BTW, I never mentioned 1st amendment rights on PW. My comment was re: 2nd Amendment rights in Hawaii at large. Not arguing your point, as, obviously, it is your forum, soup-to-nuts (and I very much appreciate the forum, and my access to it, even though we disagree a lot).

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 02-07-2019

it is your forum, soup-to-nuts

Don't know about the soup, but definitely nuts.

RE: Hawaiians angry--again: Dirt skiers on MK - MarkD - 02-07-2019

From the link HOTPE posted earlier:

In Keauhou, a mile-long engineering marvel allowed alii (chiefs) to ride down a mountain at 50 miles per hour all the way to the sea...Tom Pohaku Stone...has helped to uncover dozens of kahua holua sliding courses throughout the Islands... And, “all [slides] were on top of old flows or what was once a very significant place ... They all have Pele names … so we ride across solidified lava to honor her.”

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/holua-sledding-death-defying-sport-hawaiian-chiefs

- - - -

So Hawaiians historically rode dirt, so to speak, on some significant sites, but when non-Hawaiians do it with non-traditional methods on Mauna Kea, it's suddenly a huge cultural offense?

Upshot: Hawaiians are pissed off that they haven't been able to reign in the telescopes. So they are throwing their weight around on Mauna Kea to target other mountain users. Who knows what cultural outrage they'll come up with next. They probably haven't decided yet either.

From some other posters: "Pee on a statute at the Louvre....skateboard at the Vatican"

Poor comparisons, these are structures with a documented religious history. The top of Mauna Kea, taking into account the steep terrain, probably spans 6 square miles or more, and as has been shown, archeological documentation of revered sites in this vast area is lacking.

But I'll do a small walk back...

If Hawaiians want to take a section of mountaintop (or two), possibly even the entire cinder cone where the dirt skiing took place, and declare it a religious site and close it to all public use, that should be considered. (But not to include the slope/valley where skiing has historically taken place.)

But indications are that Hawaiians want way more than that. They are still fighting the telescopes and seem intent on issuing edicts for acceptable behavior for the entire mountain top. Both should be resisted.