Punaweb Forum
HPP road maintainence - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: HPP road maintainence (/showthread.php?tid=17721)

RE: HPP road maintainence - kalakoa - 04-01-2017

dangerous situations around the park bc of their neglect, and we the membership will be liable....

Hopefully whoever gets badly hurt will be a non-HPP-resident with plenty of money and lawyers.

RE: HPP road maintainence - Katarina - 04-03-2017

I j just returned after an extended stay on the main land and finally drove down 26th myself. It is paper thin and looks very worn in multiple places. Looks like there has been some patch work already on a road that is only a couple weeks old. I also noticed someone's drive to house looked freshly chip sealed. I wonder if they paid for that and/or if it was done with the equipment and product we pay for as well as labor or if it was a private contract but weird how it is done at the same time. Any one have any info on this? Wonder how many 100's of thousands have been wasted on this junk. And dummies gripe about dust when they bought on a gravel road. So frustrating. I am sure we ALL could have had great maintained cinder roads for far less and none of the repair and maintenance headaches that we are in store for.

RE: HPP road maintainence - Hmmm - 04-03-2017

Do the math if they say they charging for hauling in 2 inches of base course for a mile of road this would take 49 truckloads carrying 20 tons per truck hmm...i want to know who has all the tags for that material from puna rock yamada glover wherever but i dont recall ever seeing that amount of material being put down on any of the chip seal roads being done..and at the 80k per mile i would want to see it!!

RE: HPP road maintainence - leo - 04-03-2017

It looks like one of the main people who got us into chip seal could be running for the board and come back to continue his chip seal project. See Craig Crellie thread that eightfingers started.

RE: HPP road maintainence - mermaid53 - 04-22-2017

(I brought this over to this thread to keep the topic in check...it came from HPP mailbox vote)

Leo posted: It's been evident the General Mgr doesn't know how to do his job. It's evident the board representatives don't know how to manage him or a road business. It's evident we have dust because there's no rock on the dirt roads and now the association is paying out for Dept of Health fines. It's evident chip seal isn't the solution. All one has to do is look at the chip seal roads. It's evident they're swapping out safety and road maintenance for a failing board and General Mgr agenda. It's evident they're wasting a lot of association money. How do we stop this absurdity and get back on track?

That's a matter of perspective and opinion. I'm sure the GM's CS buddies think he's doing a great job.

And I wonder if the GM's "CS buddies" are aware that at minimum 3 layers of CS was recommended by the guy who's been renting the CS equipment to us over the past 2 yrs? Not just the one layer they've been putting on all the CS'd roads. You can see the base coarse underneath, and/or on top in some areas where it's real thin.

Wouldn't that mean it'd cost approx 3 x's as much to do one mile of 3 layers of CS? It's been approx $80,000-85,000 per mile for a single layer. IMO it would seem not a wise business decision to do this work on the cheap. We are already seeing the substandard results not only to those CS'd roads, but the subsequent neglect to the entire park. And they're setting aside $650,000 for more CS instead of maintaining our roads?

BTW, where are they storing the CS equipment? I haven't seen it in the HPP yard for a long time. Since it's not there, then logically wouldn't that mean it's being stored somewhere in the park? I haven't seen it on any of our 20 acre lots. If not there, then where? Has anyone seen it anywhere? Are we renting space somewhere? If so, how much is that costing the association? And if so, that $ should be added to the cost of the CS project per mile, right? It makes one wonder if this is another reason the CS biz has been non transparent to the association and the FC? If there's nothing to hide, then why the lack of transparency?

I posted this on this thread 3/31/17:
L Rd is a good visual example of identifying what easements owners are taking care of vs undeveloped lots that the board and GM are neglecting. Being a paved road vehicles travel faster, and in much narrower lanes due to overgrowth. While biking, a large dump truck traveled down the middle of the road this morning and I barely had room between me and the dump truck...it was scary. While walking the other morning it was a pick up truck traveling fast down the middle of the road and same situation of not being able to get off the asphalt onto the easement bc of the overgrowth.

Approx 3-5 days after posting this, the entire Kaloli Point had 2 yrs of easement growth finally maintained. Coincidence? Tall buffalo/cane grass and bushes were whacked back 3' or more. It took 3 full days. It's so much safer on L Rd now for pedestrians, bikers and vehicles. My point, there are board reps who read PT. Mahalo for making the roads safer down on KP whomever prompted the maint on KP....new Dist 5 rep?

RE: HPP road maintainence - kalakoa - 04-23-2017

wonder if the GM's "CS buddies" are aware that at minimum 3 layers of CS was recommended

Of course they're aware. The implicit goal of any large project is to make it "too big to fail". If they apply one layer to three roads, then that's three roads that need two more layers, which is why they will need more money to finish, etc.

How do you think the Honolulu Rail went from $5B in 2014 to an estimated $10B today?

RE: HPP road maintainence - leo - 04-25-2017

where are they storing the CS equipment? I haven't seen it in the HPP yard for a long time.

Where's Waldo? Is that it off Paradise Hilo side? Lots of equipment. Is that one of those lots HPP purchased?

RE: HPP road maintainence - Hmmm - 05-07-2017

No hpp does not own that lot on paradise it's a private party trust or something that owns that property and it's not the can guy either

RE: HPP road maintainence - Hmmm - 05-07-2017

Oops chip seal not can guy but yes that is his equipment

RE: HPP road maintainence - leo - 05-08-2017

I saw the chip seal equipment up on 20-21st Paradise.

At the last association meeting one of the representatives made a snide remark about past boards getting in the business of buying houses. I think he said they were foreclosures. If we don't own that lot as Hmmm said, then we also seem to be in the business of leasing or renting lots for how much money?