Punaweb Forum
Recent flow activity - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Recent flow activity (/showthread.php?tid=13679)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: Recent flow activity - geochem - 07-04-2014

quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Yo geochem, I know to you it's whining.. but to them it's concern. And, considering the value of your post, i.e. to provide an educational insight, don't you think it would be much more effective if you were to phase it in terms of respect rather than otherwise, especially when you consider it's them you're trying to educate?
underlining added...

actually not; educating the whiners is a lost cause - they hear only what they want to hear and ignore everything else. I'm really just trying to make sure that those with an open mind are aware of the distinction between the geothermal emissions - which can amount to a nuisance - and the volcanic emissions, which are chemically different, occur at far higher rates (which the original post pointed out), and, with chronic exposure, can do some serious harm to the lung function of sensitive populations...

RE: Recent flow activity - csgray - 07-04-2014

I am not taking a position on geothermal energy here, but I think for many people there is a distinction between what is an inevitable naturally occurring toxin in the environment, and one that is a byproduct of human activities. There are many toxic substances found in nature, but does that mean that humans should add more to the environment?

Carol

RE: Recent flow activity - geochem - 07-04-2014

quote:
Originally posted by csgray

I am not taking a position on geothermal energy here, but I think for many people there is a distinction between what is an inevitable naturally occurring toxin in the environment, and one that is a byproduct of human activities. There are many toxic substances found in nature, but does that mean that humans should add more to the environment?

Carol

Do you mean like the three tons per day of air pollutants that HELCO puts out to light your lights at night?

RE: Recent flow activity - csgray - 07-04-2014

Geochem,
I am not making this personal here, as I said, I was just explaining the thinking of some people. When you used the word "your" in this statement: "Do you mean like the three tons per day of air pollutants that HELCO puts out to light your lights at night?" you are trying to make this personal. That is edging towards trolling behavior, when a discussion of ideas is made personal by one party.

The issue of where we all get our energy, and how individuals use energy, is a complicated one; you know absolutely nothing about how or where I get my power from, or what conservation measures I take, so don't try to make this personal.

Carol

RE: Recent flow activity - geochem - 07-05-2014

quote:
Originally posted by csgray

The issue of where we all get our energy, and how individuals use energy, is a complicated one; you know absolutely nothing about how or where I get my power from, or what conservation measures I take, so don't try to make this personal.

Carol

Point taken, my apologies. You are correct, I should have used our/we.

You are also correct in that where our electrical power comes from and how best to produce it is a complicated issue - there are, however, a few simple realities that are too often ignored. One of them is that our current mode of producing the majority of the electrical power on the island - fossil fuels - generates 100 to 1000 times more air emissions per unit of power generated than does the Puna geothermal plant and those emissions are no less threatening to the environment and to human health than those from the Puna plant.

RE: Recent flow activity - Bullwinkle - 07-05-2014

Solar / Hydrogen cycle would mean zero emissions .....

geothermal is just a throwback to steam powered technology - abandoned when boilers and locomotives started exploding and spraying the area with metal shards. Poor form - that was the end of fossil / steam energy

https://www.google.com/search?q=exploding+steam+boilers&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=sVK4U5-hHsbcoAT5mYKwAQ&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=633

RE: Recent flow activity - geochem - 07-05-2014

quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

Solar / Hydrogen cycle would mean zero emissions .....

Thanks for making my point Bull*******; those solar cells appeared on our shores by magic - not in any way related to the appalling air pollution now experienced by our planetary co-inhabitants living in China; and hydrogen never, ever,ever,ever blows up...

Anything but this (geothermal for now), anywhere but here... Great ethic to live by

RE: Recent flow activity - peteadams - 07-05-2014

"geothermal is just a throwback to steam powered technology"

Not at all. Steam is what turns most large scale electrical generators. Whether its fossil fuel, nuclear, geothermal, or even some solar installations, much of generating electrical power is about determining the heat source so you can produce steam from water. And geothermal, like most technologies, has become safer and more efficient over the decades of its development.

quote:
Almost all coal, nuclear, geothermal, solar thermal electric power plants, waste incineration plants as well as many natural gas power plants are steam-electric. Natural gas is frequently combusted in gas turbines as well as boilers. The waste heat from a gas turbine can be used to raise steam, in a combined cycle plant that improves overall efficiency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam-electric_power_station

RE: Recent flow activity - kander - 07-05-2014

Though the Geothermal plant is off topic, I live really close to it (less than 1/2mile).. The only thing annoying is the noise the cooling fans put off. I just chalk that up to simulated ocean waves breaking on shore. So far I only had some slight smells of rotten eggs once and a great while. Nothing too obnoxious IMHO. Technically speaking, Geothermal is an immense power resource that is virtually clean with very little risk to the public.

Im completely off-grid so I don't rely on their power, But I know many people do. In a modern society people rely on electricity. NIMBY or not, we certainly have a plus for having it instead of diesel generators making up the difference...

Does going off-grid make off gridders more earth friendly? Maybe? There was a lot of coal burned in the manufacture of solar panels, batteries, lead smelting etc. Its like people who buy hybrids, never realize the amount of CO emissions to make them from raw materials to end product. More so than they will recover in their lifetime of use.

Anyway, Hope the lava stays out of everyone's backyards!

RE: Recent flow activity - Bullwinkle - 07-05-2014

Yes we know about steam turbines in electric generation plants - san onofre just shut down because the steam side of the generation (heat exchanger) failed.....

http://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactor/songs/tube-degradation.html

agreed any kind of disaster lava or steam generators are bad news....