Punaweb Forum
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition (/showthread.php?tid=15831)

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Punatic007 - 04-26-2015

This is really not all that surprising of a debacle resulting from the current and prolific welfare culture on the Big Island. Uneducated, inappropriate and destructive...the height of ignorance.

Folks are still moving here in droves, continuing the welfare scam.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Bullwinkle - 04-26-2015

Last I checked - welfare existence not that appealing ...its those under investigation for professional lapses that I worry about - grin

This is not a place to move to if you need to work for a living either - just taking jobs from the locals - Its an island economy.

Islands are tough places to make a living - great places to retire once you have a decent stash - imho

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gwyneth-paltrow-couldnt-live-food-141352851.html

getting back on topic Hubble telescope seems to be working out - its about cost savings of terrestrial telescopes over space based units that is driving the current controversy .... just my 3 cents over coffee

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - kalakoa - 04-26-2015

If the money is not spent on the telescope, none of the money will be spent anywhere else in Hawaii

Like this?

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/tmt-fight-puts-education-grants-jeopardy

Putting a stop to the Thirty Meter Telescope also would mean losing $250,000 a year for Native Hawaiian scholarships provided by the project's education fund

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - Guest - 04-26-2015

Good stuff kalakoa. Why would this 250,000 be lost? This thirtymeter telescope has not even been built yet, those scholarships of 250,000 were helping Hawaiian keiki for years I thought. Why the continued racial difference (hawaiian keiki only) since hawaii has been a state for some 6 decades now, I wont ever understand I guess. Would they have to be 100% native Hawaiian to qualify or 50\50? Does this in itself promote further racial tension? If my children could be eligible for full ride scholarships if I had poor white children, then maybe I wouldn't entertain other races?
Welfare, snap, ebt is a profitable big business industry for hawaii like tourism cash, except it comes from working people(DC $$) who may never afford hawaii. This beautiful state promotes ebt and welfare like they do walmarts, targets, McDonalds, and tourism, jmo. Many who work at these places full time are Hawaiians who are educated by these wonderful companies on how to still get their ebt and or other qualified benies in addition to their work paychecks. As long as the majority can still buy the loaned products on the shelves in the markets then prices will continue to go up. How many stores, markets, or restaurants don't except ebt in hilo or puna? It may be hard to compete these days in hawaii excepting cash only, no ebt.
Studies are showing no more signs of laziness within the welfare community than those who work and make more. Retirees and trustfund babies continue the debate and studies, which are still ongoing or pending further funding? (Haha).

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - leilanidude - 04-26-2015

It is a LOT more than just $250,000 a year. Try $1 million. Quoted from the article:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/local-news/tmt-fight-puts-education-grants-jeopardy

The TMT Observatory Corp. launched the fund, which provides $250,000 a year to Pauahi Foundation and $750,000 a year to Hawaii Community Foundation, last November to support science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education on the island.

A TMT spokeswoman said that fund will last for as long as the 180-foot-tall observatory sits on Mauna Kea. It has an existing sublease until 2033 and is designed to last for 60 years.

The Pauahi Foundation, which supports Kamehameha Schools, is using its share to award scholarships to Hawaiian students from the island who are pursuing STEM degrees.

Pauahi Executive Director Keawe Liu said in an email that about 40 Hawaiian students will receive scholarships this year and is expected to increase to 85 students annually in four years.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - rainyjim - 04-26-2015

There was just so much nonsense going on here I had to...

Originally posted by gypsy69

With the cost of living being so high within the islands, it has made living for the average Hawaiian family here that much more difficult.
How have the observatories made life more difficult for anyone, let alone a Hawaiian family?

Work ethic capital, probably is a city like Pittsburgh Pennsylvania (steel city).
What are you talking about? Is this related at all to the TMT?

Jmo here: Mauna kea is a symbol of living and life to many

Have you even been to the summit of Mauna Kea before? It is a barren wasteland with very little to no life - no birds, no insects, no plants - it is a barren wasteland.

this TMT project atop her promotes the exact opposite. Mauna kea for thousands of years gave life and reasons to live, now man is making her a silent killer.

How is the TMT making an inert object - a large pile of rocks - let alone, anything else, a "silent killer"?

Maunakea peaks some 40% above our earths atmosphere, any manmade pollution would be disrespect to many around this planet.

Mauna Kea is completely within our atmosphere, I have no idea what you are smoking or if I want some of it.

I don't really expect you to reply to any of these questions directly but if you feel so inclined next time you are in one of your substance induced drivel spewing stupors feel free to do so.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 04-26-2015

I thought people knew already. As well as a cold weather clothing allowance, we also get a space suit allowance, but it has to be a NASA-approved one only. They can be a little on the pricey side and take forever to put on and take off again, but they saved my life on more than one occasion. The jet packs don't work very well though.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-26-2015

Tom-
What about an allowance of freeze dried ice cream & Tang breakfast drink?

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - TomK - 04-26-2015

We have to pay for those ourselves I'm afraid.

RE: We Support TMT - Please sign the petition - opihikao - 04-26-2015

Aloha mai kakou,

After a brief absence to try and gather my thoughts on this issue, my written testimony to the State (BLNR/DLNR, etc.), University of Hawaii (BOR), Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA), is in support of the TMT, with conditions.

I spent the entire day (Well, from 10am through 4:30pm) at the UH to attend the Board of Regents special meeting. The knowledge gained from many who were there, not only in testimony, but outside while waiting for a seat (us old folks are not going to stand! Please.), was invaluable.

From the scientists to the kupuna, to the students, it was enlighting. My son and daughter, and several nephews and nieces testified respectfully, and I stand proud of our young people. They are quite educated, and not what some believe are "working the system". Aole. Well spoken, with degrees, our keiki made me very proud today. Just my observation.

As to the TMT, promises already made must be kept, and as we move forward, the laws of this land will prevail. The question being: Which law(s)? The current lease for TMT and other telescopes provides for certain criteria which will preserve "conservation land" specifically, which Mauna Kea falls under. As to "Kingdom law", well, not my forte, however if applied, would invalidate the leases currently held by not only the telescopes, but Pohakuloa, and other military holdings.

We can argue, "whose land?", "what land?", etc. At the end of the day, we (my ohana) hope to find balance. Decommissioning is part of the conditions, which must result in leaving the land as it was found upon development (provided as a condition in the leases), etc. Basics.

I maintain, this somewhat "revolution" is not about TMT; our Mauna a Wakea/Mauna Kea, is providing a platform for resolution to an age old debate. As we argue the specific points of the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom/Government, the facts remain the same. Reparation is due to the Hawaiian people. No question. How we resolve our differences and make things right, is up to many, many others, who are not part of Punaweb (well, maybe a few are, I hope).

Apologies for the perhaps, O/T, however, my support of TMT warrants explanation. It does not allow for continued "desecration" which includes not conforming to terms of existing contracts. Promises made must be kept. Period.

May Akua/God (or whomever you pray to) guide us in this process. This may be history in the making. What part we all play will be interesting.

Aloha to all. (Tink, mahalo for your kind words on that other thread I won't dissertate on no more.)

Next week when we go to Mauna Kea, it will not be to the sacred area. None of us were ever allowed to go. Only the chosen ones. Our kuleana is Puna, being of the Pele lineage. (Go ahead and scoff at our "imaginary friend" (Tutu Pele), or the "rocks and dirt", however, we know our kuleana). The purpose for my travels is to insure my ohana behaves in a respectful manner, at all times. They do, and they will.

JMO.

P.S. Oh, and I will be posting my monthly Civil Defense siren test post in a few days. All y'all who are so bloody abrasive are not going to keep me from my Punaweb ohana. So there. [Smile] Oh, and (waving) Mr. Tom, I look forward to your tour of your facility and it would be an honor to bring my mo'opuna (three (3)) with me, if allowed. Mahalo, Sir.

ETA: Typo. E kala mai. Looking for glasses...again.