Punaweb Forum
Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm (/showthread.php?tid=18767)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - kalakoa - 09-21-2017

Comparing cars to helicopters didn't work

Car noise can be avoided with a lot that is large enough and/or away from major through roads.

Helicopter noise, not so much.

Coqui next to your window, at night.

On rare occasion, I get a nighttime flyover, and guess what? Helicopter noise is clearly audible over the coqui.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - PaulW - 09-21-2017

Helicopter noise can be avoided too, by not living near places with helicopter tours. So?
Not everyone can afford a large lot and houses are generally on roads and roads have cars and they make (cumulatively) 100x more noise than helicopters.
MarkD can afford a car but not a helicopter so they are different, period.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - MarkP - 09-21-2017

"can afford a car but not a helicopter"

This is a huge part of it. Society in general tolerates and denies a huge amount of mayhem caused by cars because they can't tolerate any threat to their own driving privileges. Most people don't fly so they are not only free to criticize those who do but are actually predisposed to exaggerate grievances against them. It is a universal human foible.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - My 2 cents - 09-21-2017

Helicopter noise can be avoided too, by not living near places with helicopter tours. So?

Not entirely true. There were NO helicopter tours here when I bought/moved here. But I guess I still have the choice to move again, and then again when the helicopters move into that area, and then again when it happens again, etc.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - glinda - 09-21-2017

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Car noise can be avoided with a lot that is large enough and/or away from major through roads...
And many buy their land and build their homes in locations specifically for that reason. After all this is Puna! And they pay a premium. More land, more money put into building their driveway, extending utilities infrastructure. But gee all that and we're asked to perceive a helicopter flying overhead as a little 'bit' more noise. I imagine a cartoon, kind of Gary Larson style, where some guy is all twisted up like a pretzel and has his head way up there where the sun don't ever shine screaming through a mouth full of.. "what's the problem, I can't hear a thing"

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - MarkD - 09-21-2017

The idea of people making an effort to buy a place way out in nature because they want a quiet environment is pretty clear logic. It ought to be accepted.

The reality is that there are helicopter flights. The discussion should be how many flights per day and at what elevation. People should not be told they are being ridiculous on helicopter noise because everyone accepts car noise on roads.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - kalakoa - 09-21-2017

The reality is that there are helicopter flights.

Which we have to "just tolerate" because "tourism" and "nobody's jurisdiction".

OK, fine. How about some other noise that I actually want, like a corner store or a pub?

What? Can't have that because "keep the country, country"?

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - Slow Walker - 09-21-2017

Thought I would pass this on. I remember in the old days I had the fear of helicopters. It would start in the morning with the county red and white or red and yellow flying. It would make the kundalini flow very fast up and down your spine. Only running with arms full of hapu'u to certain areas would calm that spirit down.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - PaulW - 09-21-2017

The helicopter complaints are not about noise. Cars and motorbikes and coquis make far more noise.
It is really about a number of factors including spite, jealousy, paranoia and stupidity.

Where's the proof? Nothing will happen without proof.

RE: Sign waving Rally at Hilo Air. Tues. 9-19 3-5pm - TomK - 09-21-2017

PaulW claimed:

"The helicopter complaints are not about noise. Cars and motorbikes and coquis make far more noise.
It is really about a number of factors including spite, jealousy, paranoia and stupidity.
"

So the problem I have with helicopter noise has nothing to do with noise and is due to spite, jealousy and paranoia instead? Thanks for summarising things so succinctly.