Punaweb Forum
Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) (/showthread.php?tid=21469)

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - rainyjim - 03-05-2020

@ironyak

Big hmmmmm

I need to reread Tangs paper, and look at the SNPs myself in relation to the ORFs.
I am vaguely recalling there is an important ribosomal frameshift in coronaviruses that is responsible for regulating the production of the capsid proteins are in balance with the replicases. If there is a frameshift mutation because of a SNP that affects the efficiency of the ribosomal frameshifting then the virus will replicate less efficiently and therefore decreasing infectivity. This was pretty thoroughly studied with SARS actually. My point being is that SNPs could be significant (MacLean et al, seemed to discount this in my brief skimming of the refutation). However, MacLean et al did go on to point out that a functional study of the SNPs would be necessary (I concur).

Thanks for brining the refutation to my attention. I’ll try to reread both when I get the chance. Interesting information and it really is incredible we live in a time where we can share data and exchange hypotheses remotely around the globe.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - TomK - 03-05-2020

Bringing things back to Hawaii, we're now seeing what the state is doing.

“We want to be prepared,” House Speaker Scott Saiki said Wednesday during a Civil Beat panel discussion. “We don’t want to see the state have to take drastic measures.”

So, the state wants to be prepared. That's very different from being prepared.

"The first indication of direct impact on the state will likely come Wednesday, March 11 when the Council on Revenues meets to set projections of tax revenues for the next six fiscal years."

I guess it's all about taxes.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/03/hawaii-preparing-for-possible-economic-effects-of-coronavirus/

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kalakoa - 03-05-2020

I guess it's all about taxes.

Revenue, generally. Public health isn't a consideration -- but we already knew that from the way State handled rat lungworm.

Anyone else getting tired of the biennial media saturation about how "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" from the latest threat?

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - PaulW - 03-06-2020

"The systematic use of masks in public reduces EVERYONE's chances of illness, a lesson western countries might learn from this outbreak."

Yes, if there were enough of them. But there aren't, so everyone hoarding them actually leads to more sickness and deaths.
This is why the official advice is to NOT buy masks. Not because it's a "government conspiracy", but because it's better for everyone.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - SBH - 03-06-2020

I think many of us in Puna still have masks left over from the 2018 eruption when we were threatened with ash and we are much more isolated with less population density so probably have less need to go out and buy masks than most communities.

"A passenger on the Westerdam tested positive after disembarking."

Yes, but they were tested again and no trace of covid-19 was found. So it was most likely a false positive.
But it's more fun to panic.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - ironyak - 03-06-2020

it's all about taxes - "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE"
What else you going to count on? Especially around here - got to lock in those budgets before all the external revenue to support them dries up and taxing the plague survivors is all that's left.

biennial media saturation
What actually has been strange this time around is the enormous media efforts to tamp down the coverage of the situation instead of driving the hype for ad profit. Facebook/Instagram, Google/Youtube, Twitter, & friends have all gone to great lengths to remove and demonetize posts & accounts focused the coronavirus outbreak (as well as scrubbing many first hand accounts of China's authoritarian response). Actually have to work harder now to find sources outside the official mainstream narrative than during 9/11, 2008, or H1N1 in my experience. Guess China isn't the only giant filtering access to information.
https://citizenlab.ca/2020/03/censored-contagion-how-information-on-the-coronavirus-is-managed-on-chinese-social-media/
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/14/facebook-google-amazon-met-with-who-to-talk-coronavirus-misinformation.html

This is why the official advice is to NOT buy masks.
There is a difference between not buying masks and not hoarding masks. Having some masks and using them wisely benefits everyone without pitting the general public's needs against healthcare workers'. The U.S. government could solve this dilemma by supplying masks to everyone like other countries are doing, but you know, the free hand of the market will solve it best right?

Just need to figure out who is going to pay.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/06/hawaii-news/senator-wants-airlines-to-offset-covid-19-screening-costs/
"A Hawaii state senator wants to improve airport screening for the new coronavirus and pay for it with increased airport landing fees if necessary.
Sen. Glenn Wakai (D, Kalihi-Airport-Salt Lake) said he doesn’t think “taxpayers should pay to shore up the state’s screening process.”"

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Guest - 03-06-2020

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"The systematic use of masks in public reduces EVERYONE's chances of illness, a lesson western countries might learn from this outbreak."

Yes, if there were enough of them. But there aren't, so everyone hoarding them actually leads to more sickness and deaths.
Actually, as usual, you have no idea of that which you speak. I bought a box of 'em just the other day from the pharmacy department of a very popular locally owned market. No lines, no evidence of hoarding or empty shelves. So brah, maybe you should stop with the government sponsored silliness, eh?

I should add. Paul, your inability to add little clues, like using "imo" and such so as to clarify your statements as your own opinion, rather than your efforts to make statements as if you are an authority, is very telling. You are not an authority, yet you speak to others as if you are. Your opinions are not sacred, yet you utter them as if we all should be cowered by your very presence. Your whole shtick just gets old after awhile, brah. And being browbeaten by you does nothing but show how much of a brow beater you are... nothing more.

The CDC says don't buy masks.
The Surgeon General says don't buy masks.
The WHO says "If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection."

Some guy on Punaweb says you should buy masks.

You choose.

"government sponsored silliness"

Yes, it's that evil government again, they're out to get ya!